4280Re: Meteors (WAS Halloween Observing...)

  • Jim Rosenstock
    Nov 1, 2005
      --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "Norton Douglas \(DTI\)"
      <douglas.norton@s...> wrote:

      > Well I went to my buddy's farm last night for a few hours of
      observing
      > with the 10-inch Dob. I saw so many meteors and one that lit up the
      > ground all around me. I literally thought someone was taking a
      picture
      > of me.

      Doug,

      Down in Nanjemoy, Charles County MD, several of us in Southern MD
      Astronomical Society saw many meteors during Saturday night's
      observing session, most of them bright.

      The Taurid meteor showers (northern and southern) are active at this
      time; quite a few of the bright meteors we observed were consistent
      with a radiant originating from The Bull. The books say each of the
      Taurid showers are only good for 7 meteors an hour...but of course,
      sporadic rates are higher this time of year, too.

      Pam noted that she saw more meteors on this night than on
      most "major" showers she had gone out to observe. Of course, it was
      clear, dark, and Moonless, which helps!

      Clear skies,

      Jim
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic