Mount Harmon is an 18th-century brick mansion built by Sidney George around 1788. It features a central door with a scrolled pediment and pineapple keystone supported by Ionic pilasters. In the late 1920s a frame wing was built on the south gable.
The Mount Harmon Plantation estate and nature preserve covers some 200-acre (0.81 km2) adjacent to the Chesapeake Bay, on a peninsula by the north shore of the Sassafras River. The plantation was created in 1651 as a land grant from Lord Baltimore to Godfrey Harmon.
From 1760 to 1810 Mount Harmon flourished as a tobacco plantation owned by the Louttit and George families. Mount Harmon eventually fell out of family hands and into disrepair.
In 1963, Marguerite duPont de Villiers Boden, a direct descendant of the Louttits and Georges, rescued the plantation, restoring the Colonial Kitchen and Manor House. Mrs. Boden filled the house with 18th-century antiques, and restored the Tobacco Prize House as a reminder of the plantation’s days as a tobacco shipping center for the Sassafras River area. After Mrs. Boden’s death, her daughter Kip Kelso Boden Crist ensured the plantation’s future by forming Friends of Mount Harmon, Inc.