    From: Don Surles <don.surles@...>
    To: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
    Sent: Friday, June 1, 2012 10:31 AM
    Subject: [delmarvastargazers] last night...

    I went to BB last night to photo Venus as a slender crescent…I was not successful.

    It seems Venus is moving rapidly toward the sun for its rendezvous and  Transit on Tuesday.  Less than 2 weeks ago I was on my way to the Philly airport around 8:45 - 9:00PM and Venus was a good 30 degrees behind the sun.  Last nite it was so close I never found it with binos.

    But, the moon was out - the sky was clear - I had the new scope, a 9.25" Celestron Ultima so I decided to make sure e'ry thing worked.  Below are a couple of lunar shots at prime focus.

    BTW…I am gonna weigh that scope.  It is very heavy!  Much heavier than a C8 and Meade 10".

    One thing I noticed…with a DSLR that has a less than "full frame" sensor the whole moon, and therefore the Sun which has the same arc measure, will not fit into a frame…so, we will need shorter focal length scope than an 8" or 9.25" or 10" F-10 SCT.  I plan to use a Takahashi FS-102…about 600mm in focal length.

    Don…

    here are some 4X6 crops...

    and here is a full frame…I noticed subtle shades of color on the limb side .

  • Show all 6 messages in this topic