[Dell Latitude XPi Club] Re: upgrade isn't going as planned.

  • Dag Sandgren
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 23, 2008
      Have you upgraded Bios before install Win98SE ??
      Look for a file W98CREV2.EXE at DELL homepage or at file area in this
      group.
      It make a diskette to flash a new bios

      About RAM, its possible to mount two 32Mbit RAM-cards.
      I use KINGSTON 32MB SODIMM - KTD-XPICD/32
      With the build in 8Mbit it makes 72 Mbit internal RAM

      P133ST is designed for a 16bit bus and it is only possible to use the
      older PCMCIA-card.
      PC-Card use a 32 bit bus and is not possible to run.
      The visual difference is gold metal above the connector to identify a
      PC-card.
      But the Latitude XPi CD could take PC-card 32bit bus (?)

      I use a Belkin F5D6020 version 1 wireless network card .
      The same modell number (Belkin F5D6020) but version 3 is a PC-card
      don't work !!!
      It handle only WEP protection and IEEE802.11b (11Mb), but works
      perfect.

      I have tried a Compac WL-100 PCMCIA, but it didn't work.

      /Dag (using Xpi P133ST)

      --- In delllatitudexpiclub@yahoogroups.com, "Amy Kelly"
      <engagedtone@...> wrote:

      > I had a wireless PC card in mine and seemed to be fine.
      >
      > On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 4:47 AM, mbordt <mbordt@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I'd be interested in hearing how you managed the wireless
      Internet. I
      > > didn't think the P133ST could handle CardBus.
      > >
      > > 40MB is supposed to be the maximum RAM.
      > >
      > > I don't see how your problems could come from the 3GB hard drive.
      Try
      > > it without the wireless card.
      > >
      > > Cheers,
      > > Michael
      > >
      > > --- In delllatitudexpiclub@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jranger315@>
      wrote:

      > > > Ok,
      > > >
      > > > I have a trusty little Dell the 133 speed. It had IE 5.5 on it
      > > > running off a 3 gig drive partitioned 2 and 1, 40 megs of ram
      and
      > > > wireless.
      > > >
      > > > It would crash but no more than any other machine.
      > > >
      > > > I have been having a hard time locating larger memory and I
      wondered
      > > > about maybe the size of the partition was holding it back so I
      backed
      > > > up the drive, tried partition magic to merge the partitons,
      That
      > > > failed, and then just wiped it out and started from scratch
      > > > installing a full but minimal 98SE. The partiton is regular
      Windows
      > > > 98 Ver 10.
      > > >
      > > > In theory this works. So do many things. This has had one bug
      after
      > > > another and where I have now learned more about the 98SE
      operating
      > > > system than I ever thought possible, and still have reinstalled
      this
      > > > 3, 4 and maybe 5 and 6 times, both from a 98SE Full install CD
      and a
      > > > 98SE upgrade-only CD, this refuses to stay running.
      > > >
      > > > This is a small V-E-R-Y light weight machine, it's battery
      is in
      > > > great shape and when it's run under the old partition conected
      > > > cable modem, even just running IE 5.5 this little machine
      danced.

      > > > At my library, hospital, doctors office, a park that has
      wireless, a
      > > > coffee shop and anyplace that had wireless this worked before.
      I see