Re: upgrade isn't going as planned.

  • mbordt
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 23, 2008
      I'd be interested in hearing how you managed the wireless Internet. I
      didn't think the P133ST could handle CardBus.

      40MB is supposed to be the maximum RAM.

      I don't see how your problems could come from the 3GB hard drive. Try
      it without the wireless card.

      Cheers,
      Michael

      --- In delllatitudexpiclub@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jranger315@...> wrote:

      > Ok,
      >
      > I have a trusty little Dell the 133 speed. It had IE 5.5 on it
      > running off a 3 gig drive partitioned 2 and 1, 40 megs of ram and
      > wireless.
      >
      > It would crash but no more than any other machine.
      >
      > I have been having a hard time locating larger memory and I wondered
      > about maybe the size of the partition was holding it back so I backed
      > up the drive, tried partition magic to merge the partitons, That
      > failed, and then just wiped it out and started from scratch
      > installing a full but minimal 98SE. The partiton is regular Windows
      > 98 Ver 10.
      >
      > In theory this works. So do many things. This has had one bug after
      > another and where I have now learned more about the 98SE operating
      > system than I ever thought possible, and still have reinstalled this
      > 3, 4 and maybe 5 and 6 times, both from a 98SE Full install CD and a
      > 98SE upgrade-only CD, this refuses to stay running.
      >
      > This is a small V-E-R-Y light weight machine, it's battery is in
      > great shape and when it's run under the old partition conected to
      > cable modem, even just running IE 5.5 this little machine danced.
      >
      > At my library, hospital, doctors office, a park that has wireless, a
      > coffee shop and anyplace that had wireless this worked before. I see
      > no reason it shouldn't now but it keeps either going blue screen or
      > freezing.
      >
      > Oh Yes, in Dos, Nothing wrong happens at all. Any program or
      > utility, if it's in Dos, it ruins and runs. All the headaches start
      > when it runs windows. Safe just as much as normal. Even small
      > utilitys and programs come back with Insuffecnt memory or
      > resources, like running regedit and windows explorer at the same
      > time.
      >
      > Also, when you plug in a card to the pcmcia slots, nothing is
      > recognized until you run ADD HARDWARE.
      >
      > Does anyone have a thought? I would have thought opening it to a
      > full 3 gigs at least would add more power.

    • Amy Kelly
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 23, 2008
        I had a wireless PC card in mine and seemed to be fine.

        On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 4:47 AM, mbordt <mbordt@...> wrote:

        > I'd be interested in hearing how you managed the wireless Internet. I
        > didn't think the P133ST could handle CardBus.
        >
        > 40MB is supposed to be the maximum RAM.
        >
        > I don't see how your problems could come from the 3GB hard drive. Try
        > it without the wireless card.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Michael
        >
        > --- In delllatitudexpiclub@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jranger315@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Ok,
        > >
        > > I have a trusty little Dell the 133 speed. It had IE 5.5 on it
        > > running off a 3 gig drive partitioned 2 and 1, 40 megs of ram and
        > > wireless.
        > >
        > > It would crash but no more than any other machine.
        > >
        > > I have been having a hard time locating larger memory and I wondered
        > > about maybe the size of the partition was holding it back so I backed
        > > up the drive, tried partition magic to merge the partitons, That
        > > failed, and then just wiped it out and started from scratch
        > > installing a full but minimal 98SE. The partiton is regular Windows
        > > 98 Ver 10.
        > >
        > > In theory this works. So do many things. This has had one bug after
        > > another and where I have now learned more about the 98SE operating
        > > system than I ever thought possible, and still have reinstalled this
        > > 3, 4 and maybe 5 and 6 times, both from a 98SE Full install CD and a
        > > 98SE upgrade-only CD, this refuses to stay running.
        > >
        > > This is a small V-E-R-Y light weight machine, it's battery is in
        > > great shape and when it's run under the old partition conected to
        > > cable modem, even just running IE 5.5 this little machine danced.
        > >
        > > At my library, hospital, doctors office, a park that has wireless, a
        > > coffee shop and anyplace that had wireless this worked before. I see
        > > no reason it shouldn't now but it keeps either going blue screen or
        > > freezing.
        > >
        > > Oh Yes, in Dos, Nothing wrong happens at all. Any program or
        > > utility, if it's in Dos, it ruins and runs. All the headaches start
        > > when it runs windows. Safe just as much as normal. Even small
        > > utilitys and programs come back with Insuffecnt memory or
        > > resources, like running regedit and windows explorer at the same
        > > time.
        > >
        > > Also, when you plug in a card to the pcmcia slots, nothing is
        > > recognized until you run ADD HARDWARE.
        > >
        > > Does anyone have a thought? I would have thought opening it to a
        > > full 3 gigs at least would add more power.

        Amy Kelly // engagedtone@...
      • Dag Sandgren
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 23, 2008
          Have you upgraded Bios before install Win98SE ??
          Look for a file W98CREV2.EXE at DELL homepage or at file area in this
          group.
          It make a diskette to flash a new bios

          About RAM, its possible to mount two 32Mbit RAM-cards.
          I use KINGSTON 32MB SODIMM - KTD-XPICD/32
          With the build in 8Mbit it makes 72 Mbit internal RAM

          P133ST is designed for a 16bit bus and it is only possible to use the
          older PCMCIA-card.
          PC-Card use a 32 bit bus and is not possible to run.
          The visual difference is gold metal above the connector to identify a
          PC-card.
          But the Latitude XPi CD could take PC-card 32bit bus (?)

          I use a Belkin F5D6020 version 1 wireless network card .
          The same modell number (Belkin F5D6020) but version 3 is a PC-card
          don't work !!!
          It handle only WEP protection and IEEE802.11b (11Mb), but works
          perfect.

          I have tried a Compac WL-100 PCMCIA, but it didn't work.

          /Dag (using Xpi P133ST)

          --- In delllatitudexpiclub@yahoogroups.com, "Amy Kelly"