upgrade isn't going as planned.

  • John
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 28, 2008
      Ok,

      I have a trusty little Dell the 133 speed. It had IE 5.5 on it
      running off a 3 gig drive partitioned 2 and 1, 40 megs of ram and
      wireless.

      It would crash but no more than any other machine.

      I have been having a hard time locating larger memory and I wondered
      about maybe the size of the partition was holding it back so I backed
      up the drive, tried partition magic to merge the partitons, That
      failed, and then just wiped it out and started from scratch
      installing a full but minimal 98SE. The partiton is regular Windows
      98 Ver 10.

      In theory this works. So do many things. This has had one bug after
      another and where I have now learned more about the 98SE operating
      system than I ever thought possible, and still have reinstalled this
      3, 4 and maybe 5 and 6 times, both from a 98SE Full install CD and a
      98SE upgrade-only CD, this refuses to stay running.

      This is a small V-E-R-Y light weight machine, it's battery is in
      great shape and when it's run under the old partition conected to
      cable modem, even just running IE 5.5 this little machine danced.

      At my library, hospital, doctors office, a park that has wireless, a
      coffee shop and anyplace that had wireless this worked before. I see
      no reason it shouldn't now but it keeps either going blue screen or
      freezing.

      Oh Yes, in Dos, Nothing wrong happens at all. Any program or
      utility, if it's in Dos, it ruins and runs. All the headaches start
      when it runs windows. Safe just as much as normal. Even small
      utilitys and programs come back with Insuffecnt memory or
      resources, like running regedit and windows explorer at the same
      time.

      Also, when you plug in a card to the pcmcia slots, nothing is
      recognized until you run ADD HARDWARE.

      Does anyone have a thought? I would have thought opening it to a
      full 3 gigs at least would add more power.
    • mbordt
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 23, 2008
        I'd be interested in hearing how you managed the wireless Internet. I
        didn't think the P133ST could handle CardBus.

        40MB is supposed to be the maximum RAM.

        I don't see how your problems could come from the 3GB hard drive. Try
        it without the wireless card.

        Cheers,
        Michael

        --- In delllatitudexpiclub@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jranger315@...> wrote:

        > Ok,
        >
        > I have a trusty little Dell the 133 speed. It had IE 5.5 on it
        > running off a 3 gig drive partitioned 2 and 1, 40 megs of ram and
        > wireless.
        >
        > It would crash but no more than any other machine.
        >
        > I have been having a hard time locating larger memory and I wondered
        > about maybe the size of the partition was holding it back so I backed
        > up the drive, tried partition magic to merge the partitons, That
        > failed, and then just wiped it out and started from scratch
        > installing a full but minimal 98SE. The partiton is regular Windows
        > 98 Ver 10.
        >
        > In theory this works. So do many things. This has had one bug after
        > another and where I have now learned more about the 98SE operating
        > system than I ever thought possible, and still have reinstalled this
        > 3, 4 and maybe 5 and 6 times, both from a 98SE Full install CD and a
        > 98SE upgrade-only CD, this refuses to stay running.
        >
        > This is a small V-E-R-Y light weight machine, it's battery is in
        > great shape and when it's run under the old partition conected to
        > cable modem, even just running IE 5.5 this little machine danced.
        >
        > At my library, hospital, doctors office, a park that has wireless, a
        > coffee shop and anyplace that had wireless this worked before. I see
        > no reason it shouldn't now but it keeps either going blue screen or
        > freezing.
        >
        > Oh Yes, in Dos, Nothing wrong happens at all. Any program or
        > utility, if it's in Dos, it ruins and runs. All the headaches start
        > when it runs windows. Safe just as much as normal. Even small
        > utilitys and programs come back with Insuffecnt memory or
        > resources, like running regedit and windows explorer at the same
        > time.
        >
        > Also, when you plug in a card to the pcmcia slots, nothing is
        > recognized until you run ADD HARDWARE.
        >
        > Does anyone have a thought? I would have thought opening it to a
        > full 3 gigs at least would add more power.

      • Amy Kelly
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 23, 2008
          I had a wireless PC card in mine and seemed to be fine.

          On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 4:47 AM, mbordt <mbordt@...> wrote:

          > I'd be interested in hearing how you managed the wireless Internet. I
          > didn't think the P133ST could handle CardBus.
          >
          > 40MB is supposed to be the maximum RAM.
          >
          > I don't see how your problems could come from the 3GB hard drive. Try
          > it without the wireless card.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Michael
          >
          > --- In delllatitudexpiclub@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jranger315@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Ok,
          > >
          > > I have a trusty little Dell the 133 speed. It had IE 5.5 on it
          > > running off a 3 gig drive partitioned 2 and 1, 40 megs of ram and
          > > wireless.
          > >
          > > It would crash but no more than any other machine.
          > >
          > > I have been having a hard time locating larger memory and I wondered
          > > about maybe the size of the partition was holding it back so I backed
          > > up the drive, tried partition magic to merge the partitons, That
          > > failed, and then just wiped it out and started from scratch
          > > installing a full but minimal 98SE. The partiton is regular Windows
          > > 98 Ver 10.
          > >
          > > In theory this works. So do many things. This has had one bug after
          > > another and where I have now learned more about the 98SE operating
          > > system than I ever thought possible, and still have reinstalled this
          > > 3, 4 and maybe 5 and 6 times, both from a 98SE Full install CD and a
          > > 98SE upgrade-only CD, this refuses to stay running.
          > >
          > > This is a small V-E-R-Y light weight machine, it's battery is in
          > > great shape and when it's run under the old partition conected to
          > > cable modem, even just running IE 5.5 this little machine danced.
          > >
          > > At my library, hospital, doctors office, a park that has wireless, a
          > > coffee shop and anyplace that had wireless this worked before. I see
          > > no reason it shouldn't now but it keeps either going blue screen or
          > > freezing.
          > >
          > > Oh Yes, in Dos, Nothing wrong happens at all. Any program or
          > > utility, if it's in Dos, it ruins and runs. All the headaches start
          > > when it runs windows. Safe just as much as normal. Even small
          > > utilitys and programs come back with Insuffecnt memory or
          > > resources, like running regedit and windows explorer at the same
          > > time.
          > >
          > > Also, when you plug in a card to the pcmcia slots, nothing is
          > > recognized until you run ADD HARDWARE.
          > >
          > > Does anyone have a thought? I would have thought opening it to a
          > > full 3 gigs at least would add more power.

          Amy Kelly // engagedtone@...
        • Dag Sandgren
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 23, 2008
            Have you upgraded Bios before install Win98SE ??
            Look for a file W98CREV2.EXE at DELL homepage or at file area in this
            group.
            It make a diskette to flash a new bios

            About RAM, its possible to mount two 32Mbit RAM-cards.
            I use KINGSTON 32MB SODIMM - KTD-XPICD/32
            With the build in 8Mbit it makes 72 Mbit internal RAM

            P133ST is designed for a 16bit bus and it is only possible to use the
            older PCMCIA-card.
            PC-Card use a 32 bit bus and is not possible to run.
            The visual difference is gold metal above the connector to identify a
            PC-card.
            But the Latitude XPi CD could take PC-card 32bit bus (?)

            I use a Belkin F5D6020 version 1 wireless network card .
            The same modell number (Belkin F5D6020) but version 3 is a PC-card
            don't work !!!
            It handle only WEP protection and IEEE802.11b (11Mb), but works
            perfect.

            I have tried a Compac WL-100 PCMCIA, but it didn't work.

            /Dag (using Xpi P133ST)

            --- In delllatitudexpiclub@yahoogroups.com, "Amy Kelly"