New + battery question

  • Amy Kelly
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 17, 2004
      Hello!

      I just bought a XPi 166 CD off eBay, and it's a great little machine. I
      haven't had much of a change to mess with laptops - this is the first
      one I've owned - but I have a couple of Frankenmonster desktop boxes
      that have been scrapped from spare bits and work pretty well.

      My XPi is, from what I'm understanding from the different web sites,
      pretty much stock. It has a 2GB HD, the P166MMX, 32MB RAM, floppy drive,
      a very cranky CD drive, 33.6 PCMCIA modem, power cord, and from what
      I can tell, a dead battery. ^^;; It's almost identical spec wise to my
      first desktop - it had a 3 GB HD instead of 2 GB, 48 MB RAM instead of
      32 MB, and the modem was an extrenal 33.6 with no drivers - which amuses
      me just a little too much. :) I'm looking forward to getting my network
      card that I ordered in so I can go take it places. But first I have to
      solve this problem.

      So the the battery thing - BIOS claims it has a battery, Windows says it
      doesn't. Fine. I decided to try to update the BIOS to see if that would
      help it make up it's mind and make it happier, but it said that it
      didn't have a battery installed. Great. Now I know for sure that the
      battery is dead and I can get a new one after payday. That's not as much
      of a problem as it could be, especially since I have the AC cord.

      But. How do you get the battery OUT to change it in the first place? >_<
      I've found where the battery goes, and can get the cover off, but I'm
      just not seeing how to get it out of the slot. There doesn't seem to be
      any sort of latch or something that will pop it out, and I can't get it
      to pull out at all. This is prob'ly the easiest, dumbest problem ever,
      but I just can't seem to get it figured out. My usual alpha-geeks are
      almost as laptop-illiterate as I am (know enough to deal with their own,
      but not willing to open my box, either), so we're really stuck on this.
      Any help would be appreciated.

      Thanks -

      Amy
      --
      Amy Kelly + http://sunao.net/ + amy@...
      "All the world is queer save thee and me,
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 17, 2004
        Welcome to the group, Amy,

        If the XPi166CD is anything like my XPi P133ST, the battery takes a
        fair amount of "pull" to get out. It won't pop out on its own. In
        fact, finding something to pull on is a challenge on its own.

        There's a picture of the computer on the Dell support site:
        http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/ptcd/exview.htm.

        Other than that, I suspect the problem *is* the battery. Once you get
        it out, there should be a test button and some lights that go on if
        the battery is holding a charge (which I doubt given your situation).
        The good news is that new ones are pretty cheap these days on eBay.
        Look for a seller that has tested the battery and doesn't charge too
        much for shipping.

        Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.

        Cheers,
        Michael

        --- In delllatitudexpiclub@yahoogroups.com, Amy Kelly <amy@s...>