USB Again: Seeking more myth-busters

  • mbordt
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 9, 2004
      Agreed: The XPi P133ST doesn't have CardBus PCMCIA.
      Agreed: Most USB, FireWire and 10/100Mbps network cards specify
      CardBus as a requirement.

      Factoid: My (cheap!) SMC 8040TX 10/100Mbps works fine and seems to
      crank better than 10Mbps cards on my P133ST. Does that
      bust the myth about CardBus and 100Mbps?

      Question: Has anyone ever tried ANY PC-Card USB (1.1 or 2.0) adapter
      in an XPi?

      More possible myths:
      1) The maximum RAM for the 133ST is 40MB (I have heard of 56MB being
      used: 8MB base, 1x16MB + 1x32MB).
      2) It's possible to overclock the XPi.

      Others?
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 18, 2004
        > More possible myths:
        > 1) The maximum RAM for the 133ST is 40MB (I have heard of 56MB being
        > used: 8MB base, 1x16MB + 1x32MB).

        I fyou have a look at dells website,especially the specifications
        page,you will find that the 133 & 166 are capable of 80MB of RAM.

        here's the link below to the page I have just mentioned:

        http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/systems/ptcd/Specs.htm
      • chazpm999
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 11, 2004
          --- In delllatitudexpiclub@yahoogroups.com, "mbordt" <mbordt@r...>
          wrote:
          > Agreed: The XPi P133ST doesn't have CardBus PCMCIA.
          > Agreed: Most USB, FireWire and 10/100Mbps network cards specify
          > CardBus as a requirement.
          >
          > Factoid: My (cheap!) SMC 8040TX 10/100Mbps works fine and seems to
          > crank better than 10Mbps cards on my P133ST. Does that
          > bust the myth about CardBus and 100Mbps?
          >
          > Question: Has anyone ever tried ANY PC-Card USB (1.1 or 2.0)
          adapter
          > in an XPi?
          >
          > More possible myths:
          > 1) The maximum RAM for the 133ST is 40MB (I have heard of 56MB
          being
          > used: 8MB base, 1x16MB + 1x32MB).
          > 2) It's possible to overclock the XPi.
          >
          > Others?

          As of Nov. 2004, I installed a BUSlink USB 2.0 Cardbus adapter into
          my P150ST and it works great running under Windows ME. The BUSlink
          is a 4-port (externally powered) hub and comes with its own AC
          adapter. I've successfully plugged USB scanners, mice, keyboards,
          and a pencam, into the BUSlink and all work fine with my Latitude
          XPi CD.

          Additionally, I have also successfully installed, and used, the
          Microsoft MN-720 Cardbus wireless-g adapter with my XPi and it works
          great. I can't use WPA (WEP only) but using Remote Desktop and
          WinXP Pro running on my desktop, I can surf the web, etc. using the
          desktop's power to render pages while the laptop is an extended
          display.

          It's kinda like using the Latitude as a Smart Display but more
          versatile, of course. (I can surf the WWW going directly thru the
          wireless router. It's a little slower is all.)

          There is a problem using both the USB 2.0 adapter and the MN-720
          simultaneously, however. It can be done but the USB hub blocks the
          wireless antenna and reliability goes way down.

          Chuck