Differences between P166ST and M166ST?

  • Gregg A. Eshelman
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 13 5:35 PM
      What's the difference, if any, between the P166ST and the M166ST?

      I have a P75D and it's alright, except for being a bit on the slow
      side and the dual scan screen.

      I'm looking for a P166ST or whichever model was the last, best,
      fastest model in the XP/XPi line. It doesn't need to have a
      battery, hard drive, AC adaptor or extra RAM since I can use all
      that from the P75D.

      I've bought the last version of the ethernet docking station, maxed
      the RAM to 40meg, got three hard drives in caddies, 33.6 Dell /
      Motorola Montana "33.6" modem that once in a while will connect at
      31.2 but usually 28.8, and 3-Com X-Jack 56K and 10-BaseT PC Cards.
      Lots of goodies that'll work with a faster XPi. :) Lugging around
      the docking station and external SCSI CD-ROM along with the P75D gets
      a bit on the heavy side.
    • Steve Shadoff
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 21 4:42 PM
        I thought I rememebered that they were trying to change the standards
        on PCMCIA around the time the XPiCD came out.

        Has anyone tried a PCMCIA network card? If so, and it worked,
        what kind? I figure that would be the only reason I would have tried
        to get a docking station.

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • Gregg Eshelman
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 22 12:14 AM
          --- Steve Shadoff <steve_shadoff@...> wrote:
          > I thought I rememebered that they were trying to
          > change the standards
          > on PCMCIA around the time the XPiCD came out.

          Not change, expand. PCMCIA, later known as PC Card,
          is a 16bit bus based on the ISA bus. CardBus shares
          the same connector as PC Card but is a 32bit bus
          based on the PCI bus. Much faster and all USB,
          Firewire
          and most 100 megabit network cards require CardBus.
          A third standard that seems to have fallen from favor
          is Zoomed Video. AFAIK, ZV was only available on one
          card slot while both (in laptops with two slots)
          had PC Card and either the slot with ZV or both were
          also CardBus. Some laptops can have their PC Card
          controller chip replaced with a CardBus chip. I don't
          know if any of the XP/XPi series can have that done.
          (Did any come with CardBus?) But I know some Apple
          PowerBooks can be upgraded to CardBus. It's not cheap!

          > Has anyone tried a PCMCIA network card? If so, and
          > it worked, what kind? I figure that would be the
          > only reason I would have tried to get a docking
          > station.

          I use a 3Com/Megahertz 3CXE589DT 10 megabit with
          XJACK pop out connector. My modem is a Megahertz/USR
          XJ1560 X2/v.90 with the XJACK pop out connector.
          The nifty bit is the connectors are offset so that
          both can be used at the same time, so if I had 98SE
          (yeah, right, on a P75D with 40 megs RAM) installed
          I could use it as a dialup internet connection
          sharing box. Both cards work very well!

          There are 10/100 16bit PC Card network cards, might
          be some that support both PC Card and CardBus. But
          it's
          not worth the money to put a 100 megabit card on
          the PC Card bus (or ISA or the old Mac NuBus) because
          those older busses simply don't have anywhere near
          100 megabit/second bandwidth. PC Card or ISA don't
          even come near to pushing 10 megabit/second so any
          10 megabit PC Card will do you just fine as long as
          it's supported by your operating system.

          I also have a Dell/Motorola Montana "33.6" modem that
          has never ever connected at anything better than
          31.2, even to a dialup dedicated to use for 33.6
          modems which many others I've tried can connect to
          at 33.6. The problem is Motorola used a DSP chip
          that was too underpowered, barely enough for 28.8 use.
          Their original plan was to firmware upgrade it for
          v.90 but they scrapped that when they figured out
          it could only do 33.6 under absolutely perfect
          conditions. 99% of the time, mine connects at 28.8.

          As for the docking station, the only model you really
          want is the Ethernet III version. Dell part number
          00060979 Model number: MS/1 FCC ID: E2KSLICE with the
          3Com logo on the top. Other models of docks with
          ethernet have older ethernet and SCSI controllers
          made by companies that are either out of business
          or the chips are not supported at all by newer
          versions
          of Windows.

          I use the Adaptec SCSI II in my dock to run a CD-R,
          magneto-optical drive and a Zip 100. It's also nice
          to have the printer, mouse and keyboard, SCSI drives
          and network all connected at once and ready to go
          after plugging in and booting up. Fortunately the
          XP/XPi series supports Windows 95 and later automatic
          hardware profile detection and switching. Many other
          older laptops required the user to manually select
          the hardware profile. (Was NOT fun to accidentially
          chose "Undocked" on an AST Ascentia 900N when it was
          docked.)

          =====
          "When you are wrestling for possession of a sword, the man with the handle always wins." Hiro Protagonist

          http://sbc.yahoo.com
        • Gregg Eshelman
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 22 12:17 AM
            What differences, if any, are there between the
            M166ST and the P166ST?

            I know they both have active matrix LCD, a Pentium 166
            MMX CPU, built in sound and CD-ROM. So what's
            different?

            Which model of XPi had the best/most stuff in it or
            could be expanded the most?

            =====

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 22 12:34 AM
              My Dell Latitude XPi is a P75D model with 40 megs
              RAM which is supposedly its maximum. I have the
              Ethernet III final version docking station with base
              and monitor shelf too. With three hard drives in
              caddies it's easy to switch operating systems to do
              different things.

              The history of it is a bit on the odd side. It was
              originally purchased by a Russian woman while she was
              in Scotland, so it has the United Kingdom style
              keyboard. When she went back to Russia, a friend
              installed the Russian version of Win95a over the UK
              version of Win95a. Much trouble!

              A while later she was in the USA and brought it into
              the shop I was working at. She was also packing along
              a large 220-110V stepdown AC transformer. She was
              very happy to find out that instead of the transformer
              she only needed a $2 AC cord from Radio Shack to use
              it on 110V power. I wiped off the UK/Russian mishmash
              and installed the US/Canada version of Windows 95B
              along with international support and the UK and
              Cyrillic keyboard maps. I tried to locate Russian
              versions of Windows and Microsoft Word but they had
              to be ordered from Microsoft in Russia and the cost
              together would've been near $1,000! (I did save the
              Russian shutdown screens and still have them on one
              of the hard drives.)

              Some time later, the hard drive went kaput on the day
              someone was supposed to look at it to buy it.
              I just happened to have a 720meg pulled from an AST
              Ascentia 900N I had upgraded. She didn't want to buy
              the hard drive so I said I'd sell it and we'd split
              the money 50/50. So a bit later I called her and said
              it had sold for $200, gave her $100 out of my
              pocket and it's been a good workhorse laptop for me
              the past 4+ years. Wouldn't have sold at all without
              a working hard drive and nobody wanted such a small
              drive, so a great deal for me! :)

              I then upgraded the RAM to 40 megs, bought the
              docking station and two more hard drive caddies
              plus a 2.1 and a 3.2 gig hard drive, all off eBay.

              So, let's hear about your XP/XPi laptop(s). :)

              =====
              "When you are wrestling for possession of a sword, the man with the handle always wins." Hiro Protagonist

              http://sbc.yahoo.com
            • JT
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 22 5:41 AM
                Hi Steve,

                I use an 3com XJack cardbus network card in my XPiCD.
                Its number is 3CX FE575

                You can get them for less on Ebay.

                It works very well in Win systems above 95. It can work on 95, but isn't the most reliable with it.

                Hope that helps

                Best regards

                Jeremy

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 25 8:56 AM
                  My ubderstanding is that P is for Pentium and M is with MMX.
                  Officially, the P take only 40MB while the M take 80MB. But as we
                  all know by now, the P takes 80MB just fine.
                  So get the M if you can, but the P will do you happy too.
                  Norton

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 27 6:35 AM
                      Hi Steve,
                      I am using a Belkin F5D6020 WLAN PC-card on my XPi P133ST. It work perfect.
                      Swallow 1100 also work without problem, but it have no WEP crypto.
                      I have tried Compaq WL-100 in my XPi but the PC-card was not recognized correctly and I
                      have heard that a Intel 2011 is
                      not working as well.
                      Some card from Xerox is also working, but I don't know the model or if it have WEP.

                      I hope it is some help
                      /Dag Sandgren