Installing Win 95

  • steve_shadoff
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 12, 2003
      I just bought my Dell Latitude XPi CD M166ST it has a CD and Floppy
      both! (I'm quite impressed) and I was about to try
      and re-install Windows 95.

      I bought it used with no support and ran into a bit of trouble
      when trying to install the Microsoft Personal Web Server so I have to
      re-install.

      If any one has any good tips -- I have some original Win 95 disks from
      another system I used to run -- about how to setup the boot floppy
      and Windows in general it would probably help the whole group sooner
      or later.

      Sooner for me. (Like maybe the MSCDEX line -- )

      Conversely, If I figure something out I could post.

      Thanks in Advance.
    • Steve Shadoff
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 13, 2003
        I'll check the site you mentioned. I am looking for a little info
        more specific to this laptop.

        I have a real Windows 95 Boot disk and it says something like:
        "OEM supplier stick in real lines here"

        I have found some suggestions for vague stuff people remember doing
        to a different type of machine years ago like the following one.

        <snippet start>
        This driver has worked well for me on many different brands.

        Config.sys
        Device=oakcdrom.sys /D mscd001

        autoexec.bat
        mscdex.exe /D mscd001
        <snippet end>

        I'm pretty sure this machine doesn't have a oak cdrom and I thought
        some one here might know what these couple of lines might be on a
        working machine. (And maybe have the xxx.sys driver) (We could put it
        in the "files section for the group".

        Thanks.

        --- Holger Paffrath <holger@...> wrote:

        > go to www.bookdisk.com you should be able to find win95 boot disks
        > that will
        > set up CD Rom Support. (Or any other operating system you have in
        > mind.

        http://tax.yahoo.com
      • Holger Paffrath
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 13, 2003
          I just used the Windows 98 CD Rom driver from the boot disk to load up win98
          and it worked fine. I haven't put win95 on my XPi. I suppose you could use
          the win98 install disks.

          Holger

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 14, 2003

            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 14, 2003
              Is there any benefit to running Win95, as opposed to Win98? I know
              little about either OS, since i was running NT during those years.

              --- In delllatitudexpiclub@yahoogroups.com, "Holger Paffrath"

            • merlin_80000
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 14, 2003
                imho, win98(se) is definitely more stable than win95, and has fewer
                bugs, win98 does have a little more of a hardware appetite than win95,
                but really its not all that much except for RAM, but if you apply ALL
                the updates to win95, the RAM requirements are about the same anyway

                --- In delllatitudexpiclub@yahoogroups.com, "Karl Raade"

              • Laurence Smith
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 14, 2003
                  Yes, I agree with merlin. Win98SE has more
                  compatibility drivers, inluding USB and the CD-ROM oak
                  drivers and others...you don't come up against as many
                  installation problems for hardware and software when
                  you already have Win98 in there. Makes it nicer for
                  installing things on the laptop, and the laptop can
                  handle Win98 just as well as Win95.

                  Linux runs fine on the XPi too.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 14, 2003
                    yeah i'm running gentoo on my xpi p133st and its not too bad,
                    a bit slow but i mostly blame that on a small hard drive and only 24MB
                    of RAM..i'd go more into how i'm compensating for this, but that would
                    be very OT (and a bit confusing for some) so i'll refrain :)

                    --- In delllatitudexpiclub@yahoogroups.com, Laurence Smith

                  • Karl Raade
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 14, 2003
                      Cool, thanks. I might as well stick with 98 then, though i may
                      intruduce Linux as well for fun...
                    • Laurence Smith
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 14, 2003
                        Yeah, Linux of course is incredibly stable, once it's
                        configured.

                        A nice reason for installing Linux is that it has just
                        about everything you need for "most" people. You have
                        a web browser, you have email, you have a word
                        processing program...you have various accessories such
                        as calculator and others...frankly, if you come right
                        down to it...those are what I use my computer for most
                        of the time. A few games too.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 14, 2003
                          One question running linux. How do you get it running with the GUI (Not
                          KDE - the other one. Sorry my minds gone blank) on an external monitor
                          through the C-Dock.

                          My system would boot ok, but when it tried to launch the GUI - it would
                          revert back to the laptop screen. Which wasn't handy since it wasn't
                          working.

                          Thanks

                          Holger

                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 14, 2003
                            Gnome :)

                            you should just need to hit hold the Fn key and press CRT/LCD Mine
                            does this sometimes too - not sure how to fix it.

                            p.s. this actually is something with X11, so KDE will probably do the
                            same.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 14, 2003
                              Thats it Gnome. - Kept thinking Gimp - but didn't seem right.

                              S'pose thats what happens when you haven't had your caffine fix in the

                              <holger@a...> wrote:
                              > One question running linux. How do you get it running with the GUI (Not
                              > KDE - the other one. Sorry my minds gone blank) on an external monitor
                              > through the C-Dock.
                              >
                              > My system would boot ok, but when it tried to launch the GUI - it would
                              > revert back to the laptop screen. Which wasn't handy since it wasn't
                              > working.
                              >
                              > Thanks
                              >
                              > Holger

                            • Greg Wirch
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 15, 2003
                                My Latitude XP came with Windows 98 Second Edition installed when I bought
                                it 10 months ago. It's still running with the same installation of 98SE it
                                came with. I was sufficiently pleased with it to actually buy the Second
                                Edition(Upgrade CD). In fact, I'm using 98 SE on my laptop, my home PC and
                                at the office. The only benefits that I can see to Windows 95 are a)it's
                                dirt cheap if you to buy a licensed copy
                                b) it boots up a little faster than 98

                                If you go with 95, version b(1997) is the one to go with. Some major
                                disadvantages of 95 are that a)most versions don't support FAT32(disk
                                partitions of 2GB or more b)there's less support for new software(eg.
                                Internet Explorer 6), although with the XP laptop this is less of an issue.

                                Good luck.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 16, 2003
                                  Thanks for the help everyone.
                                  I told you I'd post the winning solution and here it was.
                                  (Suprisingly similar to some of the suggestions!)
                                  Used the "Boot Disk Essentials" from this site:

                                  http://www.drd.dyndns.org/fr_index.html?/disks.html

                                  They seem to have tons of this stuff.

                                  I'm using the following generic driver to get at my CDROM from DOS
                                  Device=oakcdrom.sys /D mscd001

                                  Now I just have to find out why the sound doesn't work.
                                  (But for $150 I'm quite happy even if it never does.)

                                  P.S. Is the little hole in the right hinge a microphone? Or what?

                                  http://search.yahoo.com
                                • Steve Shadoff
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 16, 2003
                                    Mostly it's just because it is already on the machine.

                                    Also I guess because it isn't a memory hog. I have installed it before
                                    on an 8 meg system trouble free (so this 32 meg should seem spacious!)