windows98 install nightmare

  • wadewv <barbfull@mwt.net>
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 17, 2003
      Please, has anyone else had this problem? -
      After installing windows98 (on a reformatted HD - all original drivers
      lost), I get this blue-screen message during boot up: "your
      multi-function device (dual pci ide controller) has some child devices
      using 32-bit drivers and others using compatibility mode drivers. This
      configuration is not supported-" Then it suggests finding drivers from
      the manufacturer.
      I've looked under system properties for the manufacturers name for the
      ide controllers, but it's non-specific. I don't have sound, nor cdrom
      (in fact, the cdrom seems to have disappeared from my system without a
      trace). I'm not experienced at installing drivers. Please phrase
      answers towards the lowest common denominator (ME!).
      Many Thanks,
      Wade Venden
    • wadewv <barbfull@mwt.net>
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 18, 2003
        Good news - problem solved!
        I don't quit know how I managed, but I got back the cdrom and sound.
        I'm like the Forest Gump of computers!
        For future users who experience this same issue: I downloaded and
        installed sound drivers and cdrom drivers, but that had no effect on
        the problem (as I said in the original posting, the conflict had to do
        with the IDE controllers). Finally I found the manufacturer of the
        controller - CMD - and downloaded the drivers from their site (after
        linking to it off of Driverzone.com). My particular laptop (P150ST)
        has the following IDE controllers: CMD PCI-0643, and CMD PCI-0646. The
        drivers download in a ZIP file, and install automatically when opened.
        Hope this will be of service to other XPi owners.

        Best Regards,
        Wade Venden