BRT

  • Vishal Mehra
    Message 1 of 24 , May 2, 2008
      It is very curious but I havent read any reports on BRT through the
      pespective of the BRT users themselves.
      How much time-saving has been created in the bus trips?

      The mail server at Institute for Plasma Research has scanned this
      email for Virus using ClamAV 0.88.6
    • Dilip
      Message 2 of 24 , May 2, 2008
        try this one...

        http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv/story.aspx?id=NEWEN20080048558&ch=5/2/2008%2012:26:00%20AM

        BRT corridor: The great Delhi divide

        NDTV Correspondent
        Thursday, May 1, 2008 (New Delhi)
        It's one of the most controversial infrastructure projects in the
        country but for all those who said that the Delhi Bus Corridor system
        was an out and out failure, here is a reality check.

        A poll conducted by NDTV shows that there is a sharp divide in opinion
        on the success of the project between those who use buses on the
        corridor and those who drive cars on the same stretch.

        Perhaps the big message here is that public transport must be
        considered a practical option for everyone, including people who
        cannot think about life beyond their luxury cars.

        There have been many days of chaos, some days better than others but
        the debate has divided the city down the middle.

        In an exclusive opinion poll, NDTV has asked car and bus drivers as
        also bus passengers whether this will work?

        Car vs. bus drivers

        # 65 per cent of car drivers feel the Bus Rapid Transit System(BRT)
        has made traffic congestion worse in the areas where the BRT runs.

        # A whopping 75 per cent of bus drivers say the BRT is a huge
        improvement for buses.

        # More than 50 per cent of car drivers say that the new bus stops in
        the middle of the road do not make driving more difficult.

        # Bus drivers say it's easier to pick up passengers from the new bus
        stops and 72 per cent of them say the middle-of-the-road stops are
        working better than the earlier system.

        # Most car drivers, 76 per cent, however, say that they are worried
        about hitting pedestrians crossing the road.

        # 61 per cent of car drivers say driving is easier now that buses have
        their own lane bus drivers.

        # 82 per cent of them say the new bus lanes for them make driving easier.

        Bus passengers

        # 88 per cent of bus commuters feel the new BRT and its buses are an
        improvement on Delhi's public transport system

        # 71 per cent believe it will help in reducing travel time - most bus
        users say their commute time has already been slashed by 50 per cent
        after the BRT was introduced.

        # 60 per cent of bus commuters say there are enough Marshals and
        traffic policemen to help guide them to their buses.

        --- In delhimetro@yahoogroups.com, Vishal Mehra <vmehra@...> wrote:

        > It is very curious but I havent read any reports on BRT through the
        > pespective of the BRT users themselves.
        > How much time-saving has been created in the bus trips?
        >
        > The mail server at Institute for Plasma Research has scanned this
        > email for Virus using ClamAV 0.88.6

      • rajeev_tivari
        Message 3 of 24 , May 3, 2008
          > NDTV Correspondent
          > Thursday, May 1, 2008 (New Delhi)
          > It's one of the most controversial infrastructure projects in the
          > country but for all those who said that the Delhi Bus Corridor system
          > was an out and out failure, here is a reality check.

          Well, well, well. I watched some portions of this program on TV
          yesterday. My instant response was that the anchor was heavily biased
          towards BRT. It was a panel discussion in which Delhi's Principal (or
          Chief?) Secretary, DIMTS head, Ms. Sunit Narayan, and a couple of
          other gentlemen including Mr Sanjay Kaul of Peoples' Action
          participated.

          Incidentally Sanjay Kaul was the only 'plaintiff' and defendants were
          too many. As they did not seem to have answer to an eloquent and
          logical Sanjay Kaul they did not have any option other than weighing
          down their authority on Sanjay Kaul and turn patronizing.

          Interstingly the audience voted down that BRT is good for them and
          that it has improved since its inauguration.

          It was not a fair trial, to say the least. Not sure of their opinion
          poll as well.

          The reactions of the agencies to the problems encountered in the run
          have been knee-jerk to say the least. They do nto have conviction on
          the system features. They have been compromising these one by one.
          This ad-hoc approach may not be good in the end.

          -Rajeev
        • Vishal Mehra
          Message 4 of 24 , May 4, 2008
            It was in TOI A'bad yesterday that in Delhi BRT commuters need to jump
            over railings and cross onrushing traffic just to access a (particular?)
            BRT bus stop.

            While here (Ahmedabad) the BRTS authorities have cancelled low-floor
            buses citing increased costs of these buses. Lets see what else is
            shelved as we go ahead.

            Message 5 of 24 , May 6, 2008
              A civil way to tackle traffic problem on BRT road might be to introduce
              toll on private vehicles this particular stretch.
              Instead now they are talking of eliminating footpath.

              Message 6 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                No bus lane in the centre fro the balance of the line under partial
                ooperation .

                http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/StoryPage.aspx?id=5684a326-b338-\
                4d3e-92b6-8ee2ac798bc6
                <http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/StoryPage.aspx?id=5684a326-b338\
                -4d3e-92b6-8ee2ac798bc6>

                -Rajeev

              • Suhas Kulhalli
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 1, 2008
                  Its been more than 3 months since the BRT has been introduced.

                  Very curious to know how it is doing ? Can anybody give up updates ?\

                  Suhas

                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 7, 2008
                    From Noida to CP in 34 MINS, for Rs 14, coutesy DMRC
                    Times of India - 7 Sep 2008

                    By June next year, you will be able to traverse the 18 km distance between
                    Noida sector 32 and CP in half-an-hour, just at Rs 14. The fare to Nehru
                    Place and Vishvavidyalaya will be Rs 18 and Rs 17, at an estimated journey
                    time of 55 minutes and 48 minutes respectively. As work on the Metro line to
                    Noida is nearing completion, Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) has charted
                    out the fare structure and estimated time for the journey from the suburb to
                    different parts of the Capital. For residents of the city, who commute
                    between Delhi and Noida regularly, the Metro line will come as a boon as it
                    will provide a fast, comfortable and affordable link to the heart of the
                    city.

                    ''I take about an hour just to reach my home in Mayur Vihar from office in
                    Noida sector 4. The Metro will take me through in no time, in an
                    airconditioned environment, minus the hassle of traffic snarls,'' said Isha
                    Khanna, a management consultant.

                    The Metro line will take an estimated 38 minutes from Noida to Central
                    Secretariat, 42 minutes to Kashmere Gate, 53 minutes to Shahdara and 65
                    minutes to Rohini East Metro stations. The fares have been computed at Rs
                    15, Rs 16, Rs 18 and Rs 20 respectively. For those headed to the railway
                    station, which is about 19 km away, the journey will take 36 minutes and
                    will cost Rs 15. The corporation is also planning to run feeder services to
                    the Noida stations to enable more and more people to take the Metro link.

                    The extension of Line 3 (Dwarka to Indraprastha) to Noida is nearing
                    completion as more than 75% of the structures are already up. The 7.3 km
                    long elevated line, which will largely run over the central verge, is
                    expected to ferry an estimated 53,000 commuters daily by 2011. The Metro
                    will have six stops in Noida - at Sector 15, Sector 16, Sector 18, Botanical
                    Garden, Golf Course and Sector 32 City Centre.

                    The stations, which are all on road, will be aesthetically more pleasing.
                    The corporation is planning to design the exteriors in a manner that they
                    match with the surroundings. For instance, the Sector 18 station will have a
                    mall-like exterior to make it look like the other buildings around.

                    All the stations will double up as foot over-bridges for non-Metro users too
                    and parking facilities for 50-100 cars will be available.

                    ----
                    Regards,
                    Akhilesh Singh
                  • Ajesh AR
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 8, 2008
                      good job dude. Thanks for keeping updated.

                    • Suhas Kulhalli
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 9, 2008
                        We in other cities can only drool at the pace of development in Delhi. Maybe all cities should be allowed to bid for Sreedharan like in the T20 !

                        Good job !

                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 16, 2008
                          What is the present fare from NOIDA to CP by bus?

                          Suhasini Mulay Productions,
                          22 Kalanagar C.H.S,
                          Bandra(East,
                          Mumbai 400 051
                          Tel:+91 22 2659 0685
                          +91 22 2635 9363
                          Email:

                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 16, 2008
                            Maximum fare is 10 (White Line or Charted), and I think Blue Line charge is
                            Rs 5 but not sure as not travelled in it for past some time.

                            What is the present fare from NOIDA to CP by bus?

                          • Sudhir Badami
                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 16, 2008
                              *What is the subsidy for NOIDA to CP distance travel by BUS and by METRO ?
                              *

                              --
                              Regards

                              Sudhir Badami

                              +91 98216 85072
                              Email ID: badami@..., badami@..., sudhirbadami@...

                              *** My Website http://sudhirbadami.googlepages.com ***

                              *** Noise is not just nuisance but is Health Hazard ***

                              .

                            • Reliable Buddy
                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 16, 2008
                                Its 10rs ..for all type of buses

                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 16, 2008
                                  dear friends,
                                  see the comfort and the time spent in the journey rather than the fare.but more over now we have A.C. buses too and the fare is rs.25 rupees. and in comparison to the AC bus fare the metro rate is subsidises to Rs.11 per journey.Metro is fully A.C.
                                  regards
                                  sandhya

                                  Email ID: badami@vsnl. com, badami@iitbombay. org, sudhirbadami@ gmail.com

                                  *** My Website http://sudhirbadami .googlepages. com ***

                                  *** Noise is not just nuisance but is Health Hazard ***

                                  ............ ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... .

                                  .

                                • anil nayal
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 16, 2008
                                    it cost around 20 if you go by chartered buses. there is hardly public
                                    transport available for Noida.

                                    On 9/16/08, Reliable Buddy <reliablebuddy@...> wrote:

                                    > Its 10rs ..for all type of buses

                                  • Sudhir Badami
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 17, 2008
                                      I would like to sate that the modern buses are comfortable. A 45 mnt travel
                                      standing was not at all stressful - the driver was changing lanes frequently
                                      at high speed too. Thus such buses for BRT would be excellent.

                                      Now, I want to know what is the subsidy Metro journey is given and what
                                      subsidy BRT bus journeys are given.