Organizing Call of the Workers' International Industrial Union

  • carl.miller72
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2009
      Organizing Call of the Workers' International Industrial Union

      Workers today face a host of challenges undreamt of by previous
      generations. Outsourcing, downsizing, buyouts, mass layoffs, job cuts
      — the list goes on and on. Workers have nowhere to turn when the chips
      are down ... unlike big business, who only has to run to Uncle Sam
      with hat in hand and ask for a loan to carry them through.
      What about the unions? Where do they fit in and why don't they try to
      help the very workers they are supposed to protect? It is no secret
      that today's labor unions are entirely subordinate to the very forces
      they are supposed to protect workers from.
      They preach a message of "partnership" between bosses and workers,
      divide us along national, racial and gender lines, force us to fight
      against each other to save our jobs, and render the massive power of
      an organized and determined working class impotent.
      This is no accident. A united working class would indeed be a mighty
      opponent and would spell the eventual end of wage labor and its parent
      system so cherished by those in power.
      A new organization is needed, an organization based on working-class
      principles, and organized, led and administered by the workers
      themselves. This new union of the working class will bring together
      all workers — men and women, young and old, across artificial racial
      and national boundaries — into one powerful and irresistible force.
      But organizing will not be an end in itself; organizing will only be
      the beginning of a bigger plan, a plan which will one day bring forth
      a system that will benefit everyone, a system that will see the end of
      forced unemployment, an end to poverty and war, and all the other
      miseries that follow in the wake of the so-called "best of all
      possible systems."
      With the greater merger between political and economic power, it is
      no longer possible for organizations of the working class to abstain
      from fighting on the political battlefield, or to leave that fight to
      "pro-worker" politicians. Just as workers must organize and lead their
      own struggles on the job, so too must workers take their united power
      and bring it forward against the massed forces of the public power and
      political establishment.
      The first step is to start building this new union. Like any other
      massive undertaking, it takes people — people who are conscious of
      their position as workers; people who are conscious of the fact that
      they, along with others who see the world in the same light, have the
      power to change society into something much better for everyone,
      through the use of the rights we have as workers.
      With this understanding and goal in mind, the General Organizing
      Committee of the Workers' International Industrial Union calls upon
      all workers to join with us to begin building a new union of all
      workers, a union formed to unite the only class that matters: the
      working class.

      The WIIU and IWW

      The Workers' International Industrial Union stands on the history and
      tradition of Industrial Unionism that brought about the formation of
      the Industrial Workers of the World in 1905. As well, in reviving the
      Workers' International Industrial Union, we seek to revive the
      principles and aims of our namesake, especially in the relationship
      between the economic and political struggle.
      In beginning this effort, some have asked if we also intend to revive
      the rivalry and, in many respects, hostility that marked the
      relationship between the WIIU and IWW. Our answer is a clear NO! We
      are fully aware of the bitter history between the two great Industrial
      Unions, and we believe it is unfortunate that such bitterness existed.
      Yes, we differ from the IWW on the question of workers' political
      action. That is why we are two, not one. But we nevertheless regard
      the IWW and its members as fellow workers — brothers and sisters in
      the great struggle for the abolition of the wages system, and
      liberation of the working class from exploitation and oppression.
      We declare today that any past animosity between the IWW and WIIU is,
      should be and must be left in the past. We are not enemies or
      opponents, but allies and comrades in struggle. We are ready to agree
      in advance, without conditions, to assist the IWW in any campaign or
      organizing effort it undertakes, to not negatively interfere or
      intervene in any area of its work, or to attempt to diminish its
      membership, work or activities.
      We invite members of the IWW who agree with the need for political
      action to become members of the WIIU, and hope they will extend a
      similar invitation. We hope, one day, to re-unite with our brethren in
      the IWW, to unify and move forward as One Big Industrial Union, on the
      basis of the principles established in the 1905 Preamble.

      Those interested in joining with us or if you have further questions
      contact me at cmiller85@...

      Fraternally,
      Carl Miller, Acting Secretary-Treasurer WIIU
    • Mike Lepore
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 5, 2009
        Carl, so if that's an announcement ready-to-go, would you like me to
        repost it on several other forums that I visit? I won't do anything
        like that unless you say so.

        In posting it online, I suggest that the email address be garbled just
        a bit, such as replacing @ symbol by (at), otherwise the spam software
        will start sending you about a thousand spams per day.

        Lepore
      • carl.miller72
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 7, 2009
          Hi Mike,

          Thanks for the offer, yes we would like it to get the widest
          distribution possible. Our website should be up soon and I will be
          adding the URL and the WIIU e-mail address shortly.

          Carl

          --- In deleonism-list@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Lepore"