Re: [delany-list] Re: Chip Sighting 7/25

  • Gerhard Hope
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2001
      Only reading this now, but HAVE to reply. If Splendor is never finished or
      published, then it seems as if Delany will never write SF again. Now that is
      really depressing.

      > The book was never finished, for the reasons elucidated in Eric
      Schneider's
      > previous email. Hope springs eternal, but at this point it seems almost
      > pointless. Not only has the era passed which allowed the creation of
      > "Stars...", but "Neveryona" ostensibly extends "Stars..." on several
      levels
      > and other books like "Times Square Red, Times Square Blue" and "1984" seem
      > to cover much the same emotional/autobiographical ground. Having read
      > "1984" and bits of "Red/Blue", I no longer pine for "Splendor..." as much.
      >
      > "1984" is a splendid volume of Delany's letters from that year, comprising
      > an unprecedentedly personal and haunting look at the author's life and
      > thought. I suggest you whip out your checkbook and purchase it directly
      > from the publisher:

    • Eric
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2001
        Gerhard Hope wrote:

        > Only reading this now, but HAVE to reply. If Splendor is never finished or
        > published, then it seems as if Delany will never write SF again. Now that is
        > really depressing.

        Fear not. In the course of conversations that I have had with Delany in the
        course of post-production on "Atlantis and Other New York Stories," he
        mentioned that of the work he is presently occupied with, "Splendor..." is
        third on the queue.

        -Eric Solstein

        BTW, those interested in his non-SF side are encouraged to check out the Voyant
        Web Site:

        http://www.voyantpub.com/voyant_main/atlantis.htm

        where there are samples from the film.
      • Gil Tayar
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 4, 2001
          That is _exactly_ what is depressing. One _never_ gets to things that are
          third on the queue. There are always new first and second things to do in
          the queue... :-)

          Actually, I am not that depressed. I think his non-SF work is as good as his
          SF work. Not that I wouldn't like to see another SF piece by Delany. I'm
          beginning to miss _that_ side of his writing.

          > Only reading this now, but HAVE to reply. If Splendor is never finished or
          > published, then it seems as if Delany will never write SF again. Now that
          is
          > really depressing.

          Fear not. In the course of conversations that I have had with Delany in the
          course of post-production on "Atlantis and Other New York Stories," he
          mentioned that of the work he is presently occupied with, "Splendor..." is
          third on the queue.

          -Eric Solstein

          BTW, those interested in his non-SF side are encouraged to check out the
          Voyant
          Web Site:

          http://www.voyantpub.com/voyant_main/atlantis.htm

          where there are samples from the film.

          == Posted to delany-list, hosted at onelist^Wegroups^Wyahoo ==
          == A mailing list for the discussion of the works of Samuel R. Delany. ==

        • Gerhard Hope
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 5, 2001
            Yeah. It's either the height (or the depth) of ignominy for Splendour to be
            relegated to the bottom of a list of 'things to do'. Delany's non-SF output
            is, of course, coruscating in its brilliance - The Mad Man is an underrated
            masterpiece in terms of the evolution of Delany's style and interests;
            Shorter Views is everything that Motion of Light tried to be, and failed.
            BUT ... As an SF fan turned on to the genre by my initial exposure to Jewels
            of Aptor, Babel-17, Nova, and the inestimable Dhalgren, there is a hollow
            place in my heart whenever Delany is mentioned. At the moment I am ploughing
            systematically through the current SF greats: Perdito Street Station by
            China Mieville, Ash by Mary Gentle, Revelation Space by Keith Reynolds,
            Time: Manifold by Stephen Baxter. Great books, sure, but none give me the
            frisson of the early Delany. And I am sure that the hypothetical Splendour
            could have as great an impact on the current state of the genre as Stars
            and, maybe, Dhalgren did in their respective times. Delany has the ability
            to take the genre by the scruff of the neck and shake it around a bit. But
            it seems increasingly that he has abandoned SF in favour of 'higher things'.
            Which places his fans in quite a quandary. In my humble opinion, The Mad Man
            is the best thing that Delany has ever written. Now if he could only apply
            the same level of confidence and sheer narrative jouissance to an SF novel
            ... In despair I sometimes think that the Master has turned his back on SF.
            Imagine the irony of the champion of paraliterature never writing another
            word of SF once he has achieved some measure of fame and success. Mmm.
            Methinks some blackmail is in order. If Delany never finishes Splendour,
            maybe Kevin J. Anderson and Brian Herbert can be petitioned to produce a
            slew of sequels ...

          • johnswalsh65@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 4, 2001

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              > > == Posted to delany-list, hosted at onelist^Wegroups^Wyahoo ==
              > > == A mailing list for the discussion of the works of Samuel R.
              Delany. ==

              > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              > >Delany's SF definitely had that sting of the street in it--science
              fiction written in the 60's by a young person involved with the young
              urban scene that was causing such commotion. A small but interesting
              facet of these novels is that they do not end with long sentimental
              goodbyes as so many SF novels do--Delany isn't interested in
              sentimentalizing partings. My favorite ending for a Delany character
              is the fadeout of The Star Pit--crisp, chilly, real. Stars in My
              Pocket was not the same, it had that thickness that marks his 80's-
              90's writing, but I think Delany was too self-aware by that stage in
              his career, i couldn't break his characters's thoughts from Delany's.

              Blackmail, huh? How about spreading the rumor that Cammille Paglia
              was going to collaborate with Judith Krantz on a sequel to Dhalgren?