Re: [delany-list] Audio book

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 19, 2013
      That's really interesting Greg, thanks for the link!

      Following up at that page... it seems that two Ace paperbacks by Chip are
      now 'public domain' in the US? They're copyright by Ace Books (not Samuel
      R. Delany) in 1962 and 1963, which makes them 51 and 50 years old
      respectively. In the file itself, it says "Extensive research did not
      uncover any evidence that the U.S. copyright on this publication was
      renewed."

      (This is of course the Ace version only not any later or earlier edition
      copyright by Samuel R. Delany.)

      According to this page:
      http://copyright.cornell.edu/resources/publicdomain.cfm

      This is legit:

      1923 through 1963

      Published with notice but copyright was not
      renewed8<http://www.copyright.cornell.edu/resources/publicdomain.cfm#Footnote_8>

      None. In the public domain due to copyright expiration

      HOWEVER! It looks like these are the only such works by Chip that are thus
      affected -- copyright law changes in the US in 1964:

      1964 through 1977

      Published with notice

      95 years after publication date

      So it looks like these will be the only such "public domain" works from Ace
      Books that will exist for another 45 years or so.

      Disclaimer: IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer).

      --Zvi

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 19, 2013
        And neither of these is going to be Delany's "preferred" text, as _Jewels_
        was notoriously cut and _Captives_ was extensively rewritten for later
        editions.

        On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Zvi Gilbert <zvi@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > That's really interesting Greg, thanks for the link!
        >
        > Following up at that page... it seems that two Ace paperbacks by Chip are
        > now 'public domain' in the US? They're copyright by Ace Books (not Samuel
        > R. Delany) in 1962 and 1963, which makes them 51 and 50 years old
        > respectively. In the file itself, it says "Extensive research did not
        > uncover any evidence that the U.S. copyright on this publication was
        > renewed."
        >
        > (This is of course the Ace version only not any later or earlier edition
        > copyright by Samuel R. Delany.)
        >
        > According to this page:
        > http://copyright.cornell.edu/resources/publicdomain.cfm
        >
        > This is legit:
        >
        > 1923 through 1963
        >
        > Published with notice but copyright was not
        > renewed8
        > http://www.copyright.cornell.edu/resources/publicdomain.cfm#Footnote_8>
        >
        > None. In the public domain due to copyright expiration
        >
        > HOWEVER! It looks like these are the only such works by Chip that are thus
        > affected -- copyright law changes in the US in 1964:
        >
        > 1964 through 1977
        >
        > Published with notice
        >
        > 95 years after publication date
        >
        > So it looks like these will be the only such "public domain" works from Ace
        > Books that will exist for another 45 years or so.
        >
        > Disclaimer: IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer).
        >
        > --Zvi
        >
        > On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 1:28 PM, Greg Weeks greg@...> wrote:
        >

        > > Captives of the Flame audio book by Librivox
        > >
        > > http://librivox.org/captives-of-the-flame-by-samuel-r-delany/
        > >
        > > --
        > > Greg Weeks
        > > http://durendal.org/greg/

        Dan'l Danehy-Oakes

      • Greg Weeks
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 19, 2013
          On Tue, 19 Feb 2013, Zvi Gilbert wrote:

          > So it looks like these will be the only such "public domain" works from Ace
          > Books that will exist for another 45 years or so.

          Yes, the only Delany works. And these are not the text prefered by Delany.
          Those are in the 1968 reprints and are still under copyright.

          --
          Greg Weeks
          http://durendal.org/greg/
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 19, 2013
            Are any other Delany works available as audiobooks? His writing is so
            auditory in some ways that they would seem obvious to do, but I haven't run
            across much.

            On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 3:29 PM, Greg Weeks <greg@...> wrote:

            > On Tue, 19 Feb 2013, Zvi Gilbert wrote:
            >
            > > So it looks like these will be the only such "public domain" works from
            > Ace
            > > Books that will exist for another 45 years or so.
            >
            > Yes, the only Delany works. And these are not the text prefered by Delany.
            > Those are in the 1968 reprints and are still under copyright.
            >
            > --
            > Greg Weeks
            > http://durendal.org/greg/

            Joseph Zitt ::http://www.josephzitt.com

          • Greg Weeks
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 19, 2013
              On Tue, 19 Feb 2013, Joseph Zitt wrote:

              > Are any other Delany works available as audiobooks? His writing is so
              > auditory in some ways that they would seem obvious to do, but I haven't run
              > across much.

              I didn't find any on a quick check at Amazon.

              --
              Greg Weeks
              http://durendal.org/greg/
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 19, 2013
                Maybe a good time to remind y'all that my film, "Atlantis and Other New York Tales," featuring Chip reading and nothing but Chip reading is available to view, for FREE, at Youtube:

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qja_UOI--y4&list=PLC293E246B84BFC3D

                And despite their latter difficulties, I am nearly finished with the second of my three films about Tom Disch.

                Interested parties can see an early generation of the current project (then called "Deaccessioning,") also at the my Youtube page, and the first song from the newly recorded soundtrack at my Vimeo page. Here are the links:

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qJKov6kC_I&list=PL9CF2C5C14CC3F1DC&index=1

                https://vimeo.com/58199745

                -Eric Solstein

                On Feb 19, 2013, at 6:16 PM, Greg Weeks <greg@...> wrote:

                > On Tue, 19 Feb 2013, Joseph Zitt wrote:
                >
                > > Are any other Delany works available as audiobooks? His writing is so
                > > auditory in some ways that they would seem obvious to do, but I haven't run
                > > across much.
                >
                > I didn't find any on a quick check at Amazon.
                >
                > --
                > Greg Weeks
                > http://durendal.org/greg/

                -Eric Solstein
                For current work, archives & materials of interest, at YouTube:
                http://www.youtube.com/user/agentb27

              • Joseph Zitt
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 19, 2013
                  Great! I'll definitely take a look.

                  I've also remembered that the superb audio dramatization of "The Star-Pit"
                  is online at http://www.pseudopodium.org/repress/TheStarPit/index.html

                  On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 6:29 PM, Eric Solstein <digmez@...> wrote:

                  > Maybe a good time to remind y'all that my film, "Atlantis and Other New
                  > York Tales," featuring Chip reading and nothing but Chip reading is
                  > available to view, for FREE, at Youtube:
                  >
                  > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qja_UOI--y4&list=PLC293E246B84BFC3D
                  >
                  > And despite their latter difficulties, I am nearly finished with the
                  > second of my three films about Tom Disch.
                  >
                  > Interested parties can see an early generation of the current project
                  > (then called "Deaccessioning,") also at the my Youtube page, and the first
                  > song from the newly recorded soundtrack at my Vimeo page. Here are the
                  > links:
                  >
                  > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qJKov6kC_I&list=PL9CF2C5C14CC3F1DC&index=1
                  >
                  > https://vimeo.com/58199745
                  >
                  > -Eric Solstein
                  >

                  > On Feb 19, 2013, at 6:16 PM, Greg Weeks <greg@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > On Tue, 19 Feb 2013, Joseph Zitt wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > Are any other Delany works available as audiobooks? His writing is so
                  > > > auditory in some ways that they would seem obvious to do, but I
                  > haven't run
                  > > > across much.
                  > >
                  > > I didn't find any on a quick check at Amazon.
                  > >
                  > > --
                  > > Greg Weeks
                  > > http://durendal.org/greg/
                  > >

                  > -Eric Solstein
                  > For current work, archives & materials of interest, at YouTube:
                  > http://www.youtube.com/user/agentb27

                  Joseph Zitt ::http://www.josephzitt.com

                • Planet_Stories
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 20, 2013
                    I recall finding some readings from conventions or bookstores on YouTube as well.

                    FPK3

                    --- In delany-list@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Zitt <jzitt@...> wrote:

                    > Great! I'll definitely take a look.
                    >
                    > I've also remembered that the superb audio dramatization of "The Star-Pit"
                    > is online at http://www.pseudopodium.org/repress/TheStarPit/index.html
                    >

                    > On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 6:29 PM, Eric Solstein <digmez@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Maybe a good time to remind y'all that my film, "Atlantis and Other New
                    > > York Tales," featuring Chip reading and nothing but Chip reading is
                    > > available to view, for FREE, at Youtube:
                    > >
                    > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qja_UOI--y4&list=PLC293E246B84BFC3D
                    > >
                    > > And despite their latter difficulties, I am nearly finished with the
                    > > second of my three films about Tom Disch.
                    > >
                    > > Interested parties can see an early generation of the current project
                    > > (then called "Deaccessioning,") also at the my Youtube page, and the first
                    > > song from the newly recorded soundtrack at my Vimeo page. Here are the
                    > > links:
                    > >
                    > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qJKov6kC_I&list=PL9CF2C5C14CC3F1DC&index=1
                    > >
                    > > https://vimeo.com/58199745
                    > >
                    > > -Eric Solstein

                    > > haven't run
                    > > >
                    > > > I didn't find any on a quick check at Amazon.
                    > > >
                    > > > --
                    > > > Greg Weeks
                    > > > http://durendal.org/greg/
                    > > >

                    > > -Eric Solstein
                    > > For current work, archives & materials of interest, at YouTube:
                    > > http://www.youtube.com/user/agentb27

                    > --
                    > Joseph Zitt ::http://www.josephzitt.com

                  • toddbehr60
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 20, 2013
                      There is a reading of Babel-17 floating around out there. No idea who produced it, or when. It appears to be complete - about 6:17 in length.

                      Todd

                      --- In delany-list@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Zitt <jzitt@...> wrote:

                      > Are any other Delany works available as audiobooks? His writing is so
                      > auditory in some ways that they would seem obvious to do, but I haven't run
                      > across much.
                    • Matt
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 9, 2013
                        --- In delany-list@yahoogroups.com, Greg Weeks <greg@...> wrote:

                        > Captives of the Flame audio book by Librivox
                        >
                        > http://librivox.org/captives-of-the-flame-by-samuel-r-delany/
                        >
                        > --
                        > Greg Weeks
                        > http://durendal.org/greg/

                        Thanks again for putting this on PG; it was fun recording it and now Jewels.