Three pieces of news, including: EXCLUSIVE: Delany's Brudner lectures

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 5, 2012
      Hi everyone, and happy holidays.

      Several pieces of interesting Delany news to report.

      Samuel R. Delany gave the annual Brudner Memorial Prize Lectures on October
      17-18, 2012.
      http://lgbts.yale.edu/brudner

      Delany posted the lectures in a text version on his Facebook page, but for
      those of you who don't follow Delany on Facebook (or aren't on Facebook), I
      asked if I could make them available on this list, and Delany was gracious
      enough to send the corrected text to me in Word format. The two lectures
      ("Letter at 70" and "A View from the Valley's Edge") are available here:

      There is lots of wonderful stuff in them, including a discussion of an
      (interestingly conservative!) view of the great novels, reflections on
      getting older, and other gems. Please do read them, and I'm interested to
      start a conversation about some of the views and ideas contained therein.

      Delany also let me know that "the newest edition of* American Literary
      History *(edited by Gordon Hutner), out of MIT Press, has a Symposium of
      five papers, including Robert's "Introduction," on Delany's Work edited by
      Robert F.
      Reidd Pharr." More details about the volume can be found here:

      http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/american_literary_history/toc/alh.24.4.html

      Those of you with institutional access may be able to read these essays
      online; the rest of us will have to find a cooperative library, or be
      content with the summaries or excerpts at that URL.

      Lastly, Wesleyan is putting out an revised and enhanced version of Delany's
      Phallos next year, which has turned up in a listing on Amazon:
      http://www.amazon.com/Phallos-Enhanced-Samuel-R-Delany/dp/0819573558

      Something more to look forward to in 2013.

      Best wishes to all,

      --Zvi Gilbert

    • Amy Harlib
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 5, 2012
        aharlib@...
        Thank for all these great updates!
        Cheers!
        Amy

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 6, 2012
          Amazing! Thanks very much!
          Also, Fantagraphics is publishing a new edition of "Bread & Wine" next year.