RE: [delany-list] Jo Walton and the Valley of Spiders

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2012
      I completely agree with Joseph -- I too pick up on the patterns of what I'm writing, and "nigger" has been, unfortunately, in my mind (though I've avoided saying it) for the past two weeks. (The most notable change to my actual speech pattern has been saying "interestin'" a lot.)

      Walton's review is, for my money, perhaps less insightful but certainly more _useful_ than the one in the LA Times: it does a better job of answering the question, "Am I likely to enjoy this book?"

      To: delany-list@yahoogroups.com
      From: jzitt@...
      Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 17:35:25 -0400
      Subject: Re: [delany-list] Jo Walton and the Valley of Spiders

      I have to say that I'm glad that she said "(I found the sex in Turpens

      to be the most difficult bit of the whole book.)" I'm just past there

      in the book, and knowing that may make it possible to start reading it

      again.

      I appreciate what she says about not reading the book on the bus. I

      find that I tend to pick up the speech patterns of characters when

      reading well-written fiction, and that probably wouldn't be a good

      thing among most folks nowadays.

      On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 1:44 PM, Planet_Stories

      <recursive_loop@...> wrote:

      > Over at Tor Dot Com, reviewer Jo Walton has read Spiders:

      > http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/05/a-good-life-samuel-r-delanys-through-the-valley-of-the-nest-of-spiders

      > FPK3

      Joseph Zitt ::http://www.josephzitt.com

    • Steve M
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2012
        Oddly, I found the sex in Turpens to be the *hottest* bit in the book.

        I've enjoyed reading and taking part in the comments/discussion at
        this review (as chiMaxx), which has I think fleshed out a lot of
        those "useful" questions in an informative but not particularly
        spoilery way (though not rally being heavily plot-driven, it's not a
        book particularly prone to spoilers anyway).