Jo Walton and the Valley of Spiders

  • Planet_Stories
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2012
    • Joseph Zitt
      Message 2 of 4 , May 31, 2012
        I have to say that I'm glad that she said "(I found the sex in Turpens
        to be the most difficult bit of the whole book.)" I'm just past there
        in the book, and knowing that may make it possible to start reading it
        again.

        I appreciate what she says about not reading the book on the bus. I
        find that I tend to pick up the speech patterns of characters when
        reading well-written fiction, and that probably wouldn't be a good
        thing among most folks nowadays.

        Joseph Zitt ::http://www.josephzitt.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2012
          I completely agree with Joseph -- I too pick up on the patterns of what I'm writing, and "nigger" has been, unfortunately, in my mind (though I've avoided saying it) for the past two weeks. (The most notable change to my actual speech pattern has been saying "interestin'" a lot.)

          Walton's review is, for my money, perhaps less insightful but certainly more _useful_ than the one in the LA Times: it does a better job of answering the question, "Am I likely to enjoy this book?"

          To: delany-list@yahoogroups.com
          From: jzitt@...
          Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 17:35:25 -0400
          Subject: Re: [delany-list] Jo Walton and the Valley of Spiders

          <recursive_loop@...> wrote:

          > Over at Tor Dot Com, reviewer Jo Walton has read Spiders:

          > http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/05/a-good-life-samuel-r-delanys-through-the-valley-of-the-nest-of-spiders

          > FPK3

          Joseph Zitt ::http://www.josephzitt.com

        • Steve M
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 3, 2012
            Oddly, I found the sex in Turpens to be the *hottest* bit in the book.

            I've enjoyed reading and taking part in the comments/discussion at
            this review (as chiMaxx), which has I think fleshed out a lot of
            those "useful" questions in an informative but not particularly
            spoilery way (though not rally being heavily plot-driven, it's not a
            book particularly prone to spoilers anyway).