RE: [delany-list] A brilliant review of Through the Valley of the Nest of Spiders

    Message 1 of 2 , May 23 7:54 AM
      On the contrary, I think my difficulties (which have faded somewhat as the book progresses, though I'm still in the reviewer's "first novel" or first half) are part of reading the novel right -- at least, right _for me_.

      It is indeed, as the reviewer remarks, "someone else's porn," and as such it _should_ make me, if not uncomfortable, at least not-titilated. But as the book progresses and the characters (especially Shit -- Eric is a little _too_ "nice") develop, I'm finding it much easier to read, and much more entertaining (in the broad sense of the word: entertaining an idea). Some of the scenes I've hit are just too funny for words (though indeed words is all they are).

      I still find _most_ of the sex rather mechanical and boring.

      But there's a lot more than sex to this novel.

      To: delany-list@yahoogroups.com
      From: kdring@...
      Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 17:06:46 +0000
      Subject: [delany-list] A brilliant review of Through the Valley of the Nest of Spiders

      If you have had difficulty with TVNS, you may not be reading it right. Full disclosure: I have spent the last several years proofreading and partially editing the book. I have a very intimate relationship with it. Yet even with that connection, I doubt I could have even come close to writing the incredibly insightful review that just came out in the Los Angeles Review of Books. Through the Valley of the Nest of Spiders has been grokked:

      http://lareviewofbooks.org/article.php?type=&id=652&fulltext=1&media=