The World of Mad Men (Fwd: [delany-list] Digest Number 1115)

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 19 10:03 AM
      > And then, in a recent episode, we learn that a character has been
      > writing SF stories in his spare time and getting them published in the
      > SF magazines of the day...

      Idle musings follow:

      Chip was writing novels (not short stories yet, in 1966 -- Babel-17 and
      Empire Star) and selling them to Ace. It was interesting to think of the
      young Chip as I watched the episode just 'offstage' as it were in the Mad
      Men world. Down in the bohemian part of town.

      I was wondering how realistic it was to have Cosgrove actually take a
      meeting with an editor from Farrar, Strauss, & Giroux. In spite of him
      having published a literary short or two previously, he was publishing
      genre (in Galaxy, no less). The state of the science fiction was heavily
      ghettoized in that era, with the exception of name writers like Heinlein
      and Bradbury. It would have been more usual to have him talking with an
      editor from Ace (or some other pb publisher) about a collection of shorts
      (i.e., Heinlein's _The Worlds of Robert A. Heinlein_ came out from Ace in
      1966).

      Ballantine in 1966:
      http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/publisheryear.cgi?19+1966
      Ace in 1966
      http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/publisheryear.cgi?37+1966

      Mind you, Farrar, Strauss and Young had published Sturgeon's More Than
      Human a decade earlier but it feels like a strange exception:

      http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/publisher.cgi?1667

      In 1966, FSG published a handful of genre titles:
      http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/publisheryear.cgi?125+1966

      And only two adult sf: Ballard and Shirley Jackson. Prestige.

      Oh well, no harm in Cosgrove aiming high. :)

      --Z