Re: [delany-list] What are the "Biographical" Works?

  • Erich Schneider
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 11 3:44 PM
      The entirely autobiographical works are:

      Heavenly Breakfast
      The Motion of Light in Water
      Bread and Wine
      1984: Selected Letters

      --
      Erich Schneider erich@...
    • kokonino_ray
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 11 7:41 PM
        The essay and interview collections would have to be read carefully by any gossip or biographer.

        And also the second and third of _Atlantis: Three Tales_.

        And
        http://www.pseudopodium.org/repress/KLeslieSteiner-SamuelRDelany.html
        and
        http://www.pseudopodium.org/repress/TheStarPit/SamuelRDelany-NotesOnTheStarPit.html

        And anagrams and near anagrams, just for the sport of it.

        Delany ain't what you would call a terribly distanced kind of writer.

        But what I really wonder is why would anyone ask if they didn't already know. Term paper?

        Best,
        Ray

        --- In delany-list@yahoogroups.com, Erich Schneider <erich@...> wrote:

        > The entirely autobiographical works are:
        >
        > Heavenly Breakfast
        > The Motion of Light in Water
        > Bread and Wine
        > 1984: Selected Letters
        >
        > --
        > Erich Schneider erich@...

      • Steve M
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 12 8:46 PM
          Heavenly Breakfast
          Motion of Light in Water
          1984
          Bread and Wine

          parts of:
          The Jewel-Hinged Jaw
          Times Square Red, Times Square Blue
          appendices to the Neveryon series (in one, his alter ego K. Leslie
          Steiner writes a brief biography of him)

          At 5:21 PM +0200 4/11/12, David Carlton wrote:
          >On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 5:05 PM, Planet_Stories
          ><recursive_loop@...>wrote:
          >
          >> Greetings:
          >>
          >> A couple of people on Twitter have been asking which are the biographical
          >> works (real or fictional) by SRD. I've got listed:
          >>
          >> Motion of Light
          >> Times Square Red, Times Square Blue (essays)
          >> Dark Reflections (fictional)
          >> Bread & Wine (graphic novel)
          >>

          >Dark Reflections is not autobiographical. Motion of Light and Bread & Wine
          >certainly are; I'm not sure how much of Times Square Red/Blue I would
          >characterize that way, it's been a while.
          >

          >> And I haven't read, so I'm not sure about:
          >>
          >> Tides of Lust????
          >>

          >This isn't autobiographical either.
          >

          >> Did I miss any?
          >

          >I think Heavenly Breakfast is autobiographical, though it's been long
          >enough since I've read it that I can't be sure and I'm on vacation so I
          >can't check my copy.
          >

          >> Also, would any of the essay collections (e.g., Silent Interviews and the
          >> others) contain any biographical essays?
          >>

          >Not sure about this without checking my copies either.
          >
          >--
          >David Carlton
          >carlton@...

        • Planet_Stories
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 13 5:51 AM
            Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

            The conversation came up on Twitter. Two of the people involved are authors from the UK (one by way of Israel). The others were myself, n editor/reviewer/commentator from the US and an editor from Australia. The latter two also both work for Locus, so, no, no "master's thesis" implications here!

            It came about because one of the people involved saw the publicatin of SPIDERS and wondered about biographical works. So I listed those I knew, real, mirrored or inspired (e.g., some of the short works).

            Which then led me to buy eBook versions of all the SRD non-fiction works that I had not already purchased. And now I'm about to buy all the fiction works in e-format that I don't already have.

            I wish my "starting list", the books that got me really started, would come out in e-format: Dhalgren, Nova, Babel-17, Empire Star and those others!

            Fred Kiesche
            (look for me on Twitter as "@FredKiesche")