What are the "Biographical" Works?

  • Planet_Stories
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 11, 2012
      Greetings:

      A couple of people on Twitter have been asking which are the biographical works (real or fictional) by SRD. I've got listed:

      Motion of Light
      Times Square Red, Times Square Blue (essays)
      Dark Reflections (fictional)
      Bread & Wine (graphic novel)

      And I haven't read, so I'm not sure about:

      Tides of Lust????

      Did I miss any? Also, would any of the essay collections (e.g., Silent Interviews and the others) contain any biographical essays?

      I guess I could point to the fictional works (SF) that were spun out of his experiences (e.g., working on a shrimp boat), but that might be stretching it too far.

      Thanks!

      Fred Kiesche
    • David Carlton
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 11, 2012
        On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 5:05 PM, Planet_Stories <recursive_loop@...>wrote:

        > Greetings:
        >
        > A couple of people on Twitter have been asking which are the biographical
        > works (real or fictional) by SRD. I've got listed:
        >
        > Motion of Light
        > Times Square Red, Times Square Blue (essays)
        > Dark Reflections (fictional)
        > Bread & Wine (graphic novel)

        Dark Reflections is not autobiographical. Motion of Light and Bread & Wine
        certainly are; I'm not sure how much of Times Square Red/Blue I would
        characterize that way, it's been a while.

        > And I haven't read, so I'm not sure about:
        >
        > Tides of Lust????

        This isn't autobiographical either.

        > Did I miss any?

        I think Heavenly Breakfast is autobiographical, though it's been long
        enough since I've read it that I can't be sure and I'm on vacation so I
        can't check my copy.

        > Also, would any of the essay collections (e.g., Silent Interviews and the
        > others) contain any biographical essays?

        Not sure about this without checking my copies either.

        --
        David Carlton
        carlton@...

      • Planet_Stories
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 11, 2012
          Thanks! Forgot about Heavenly Breakfast.

          I put Dark Reflections there as it seemed to be based off his life (with the note of it being fictional).

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 11, 2012

            > Dark Reflections is not in the least autobiographical, except that the
            > protagonist is black and gay. SRD deliberately tried to make a character as
            > unlike himself as possible. I would consider taking that off your list.
            >
            > There is a lot of memoir-type material scattered through the essays, and
            > even some in the Neveryon series.
            >
            > 1984 is a book of letters.
            >
            > --Z

          • David Carlton
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 11, 2012
              My understand is that Dark Reflections Really isn't based on his life at all, that the character is completely different from Delany in multiple ways. Pretty sure I've seen Delany himself addressing this, maybe in one of the interviews in The Polymath? (Which, come to think of it, might be a decent addition to your list!)

              --
              David Carlton
              carlton@...

              On Apr 11, 2012, at 6:08 PM, "Planet_Stories" <recursive_loop@...> wrote:

              > Thanks! Forgot about Heavenly Breakfast.
              >
              > I put Dark Reflections there as it seemed to be based off his life (with the note of it being fictional).
              >
              > --- In delany-list@yahoogroups.com, David Carlton <carlton@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 5:05 PM, Planet_Stories <recursive_loop@...>wrote:
              >>
              >>> Greetings:
              >>>
              >>> A couple of people on Twitter have been asking which are the biographical
              >>> works (real or fictional) by SRD. I've got listed:
              >>>
              >>> Motion of Light
              >>> Times Square Red, Times Square Blue (essays)
              >>> Dark Reflections (fictional)
              >>> Bread & Wine (graphic novel)
              >>>

              >> Dark Reflections is not autobiographical. Motion of Light and Bread & Wine
              >> certainly are; I'm not sure how much of Times Square Red/Blue I would
              >> characterize that way, it's been a while.
              >>

              >>> And I haven't read, so I'm not sure about:
              >>>
              >>> Tides of Lust????
              >>>

              >> This isn't autobiographical either.
              >>

              >>> Did I miss any?
              >>

              >> I think Heavenly Breakfast is autobiographical, though it's been long
              >> enough since I've read it that I can't be sure and I'm on vacation so I
              >> can't check my copy.
              >>

              >>> Also, would any of the essay collections (e.g., Silent Interviews and the
              >>> others) contain any biographical essays?
              >>>

              >> Not sure about this without checking my copies either.
              >>
              >> --
              >> David Carlton
              >> carlton@...

            • Ron Henry
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 11, 2012
                On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 12:09 PM, Zvi Gilbert <zvi@...> wrote:

                >> Dark Reflections is not in the least autobiographical, except that the
                >> protagonist is black and gay. SRD deliberately tried to make a character as
                >> unlike himself as possible. I would consider taking that off your list.

                Agreed. Specifically, I recall reading that Arnold Hawley was meant to
                be the "anti-Delany" in several key aspects (chiefly being a poet
                instead of a fiction writer, and sexually inhibited instead of
                prolific). A fictive thought experiment that has a relation to
                Delany's own life details, but isn't in itself autobiographical.

                --Ron Henry
              • Erich Schneider
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 11, 2012
                  The entirely autobiographical works are:

                  Heavenly Breakfast
                  The Motion of Light in Water
                  Bread and Wine
                  1984: Selected Letters

                  --
                  Erich Schneider erich@...
                • kokonino_ray
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 11, 2012
                    The essay and interview collections would have to be read carefully by any gossip or biographer.

                    And also the second and third of _Atlantis: Three Tales_.

                    And
                    http://www.pseudopodium.org/repress/KLeslieSteiner-SamuelRDelany.html
                    and
                    http://www.pseudopodium.org/repress/TheStarPit/SamuelRDelany-NotesOnTheStarPit.html

                    And anagrams and near anagrams, just for the sport of it.

                    Delany ain't what you would call a terribly distanced kind of writer.

                    But what I really wonder is why would anyone ask if they didn't already know. Term paper?

                    Best,
                    Ray

                    --- In delany-list@yahoogroups.com, Erich Schneider <erich@...> wrote:

                    > The entirely autobiographical works are:
                    >
                    > Heavenly Breakfast
                    > The Motion of Light in Water
                    > Bread and Wine
                    > 1984: Selected Letters
                    >
                    > --
                    > Erich Schneider erich@...

                  • Steve M
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 12, 2012
                      Heavenly Breakfast
                      Motion of Light in Water
                      1984
                      Bread and Wine

                      parts of:
                      The Jewel-Hinged Jaw
                      Times Square Red, Times Square Blue
                      appendices to the Neveryon series (in one, his alter ego K. Leslie
                      Steiner writes a brief biography of him)

                      At 5:21 PM +0200 4/11/12, David Carlton wrote:
                      >On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 5:05 PM, Planet_Stories
                      ><recursive_loop@...>wrote:
                      >
                      >> Greetings:
                      >>
                      >> A couple of people on Twitter have been asking which are the biographical
                      >> works (real or fictional) by SRD. I've got listed:
                      >>
                      >> Motion of Light
                      >> Times Square Red, Times Square Blue (essays)
                      >> Dark Reflections (fictional)
                      >> Bread & Wine (graphic novel)
                      >>

                      >Dark Reflections is not autobiographical. Motion of Light and Bread & Wine
                      >certainly are; I'm not sure how much of Times Square Red/Blue I would
                      >characterize that way, it's been a while.
                      >

                      >> And I haven't read, so I'm not sure about:
                      >>
                      >> Tides of Lust????
                      >>

                      >This isn't autobiographical either.
                      >

                      >> Did I miss any?
                      >

                      >I think Heavenly Breakfast is autobiographical, though it's been long
                      >enough since I've read it that I can't be sure and I'm on vacation so I
                      >can't check my copy.
                      >

                      >> Also, would any of the essay collections (e.g., Silent Interviews and the
                      >> others) contain any biographical essays?
                      >>

                      >Not sure about this without checking my copies either.
                      >
                      >--
                      >David Carlton
                      >carlton@...

                    • Planet_Stories
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 13, 2012
                        Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

                        The conversation came up on Twitter. Two of the people involved are authors from the UK (one by way of Israel). The others were myself, n editor/reviewer/commentator from the US and an editor from Australia. The latter two also both work for Locus, so, no, no "master's thesis" implications here!

                        It came about because one of the people involved saw the publicatin of SPIDERS and wondered about biographical works. So I listed those I knew, real, mirrored or inspired (e.g., some of the short works).

                        Which then led me to buy eBook versions of all the SRD non-fiction works that I had not already purchased. And now I'm about to buy all the fiction works in e-format that I don't already have.

                        I wish my "starting list", the books that got me really started, would come out in e-format: Dhalgren, Nova, Babel-17, Empire Star and those others!

                        Fred Kiesche
                        (look for me on Twitter as "@FredKiesche")