Happy birthday, Chip!

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2010
      Happy 68th birthday to Samuel R. Delany. Won't you all read a page of his
      work today and raise a glass to him as you do?

      As well, some short excerpts from SRD's Locus interview are up at:

      http://www.locusmag.com/Perspectives/2010/03/samuel-r-delany-grammar-of-narrative.html

      --Zvi
      zvi@...

    • CJ
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2010
        Hi all,

        I am writing this if any of you know more about Delany's idea of "SF as a community" of writers, editors, collectors, and fans (not just as 'contents' define it). I have read some essays by critics on this; for instance, Scholar Nancy Ellen Batty writes in her essay on Nalo Hopkinson:

        "It is, as Delany argues, as much an interactive community of writers, readers, editors, illustrators, and collectors as it is a 'genre.'"

        This might be related to his idea of genre as a "reading protocol." I checked The Jewel-Hinged Jaw, Silent Interviews, and Longer Views, but I couldn't quite locate where he claim the idea of SF as a community.

        If you know any of Delany's writing regarding this idea, please let me know.

        Thank you in advance,

        Thank you,

        --- CJ
        p.s. Wishing Chip a happy BD!

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2013
          Happy birthday to Samuel R. Delany, 71 years young today.

          And a nice little essay in his honour from Jo Walton at Tor.com:

          http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/04/on-this-day-samuel-r-delany

          Happy spring and Easter to all.