Re: [delany-list] Delany reading on YouTube

  • Amy Harlib
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 17, 2009
      aharlib@...
      Wow! That is really great. Thanks for putting this valuable material out
      there.
      Amy

      Subject: [delany-list] Delany reading on YouTube

      > To all the members of the Delany list serve:
      >
      > I have just uploaded my film, Atlantis and Other New York Tales, in
      > its entirety, to my YouTube site. It was filmed in 1999 and premiered
      > at Anthology Film Archive in 2001, and followed by a small VHS release
      > through Voyant Publishing.
      >
      > It is largely a reading, (at the Judson Church) with some brief
      > interview segments sprinkled within for a bit of context and variety.
      > The footage was all originally gathered for a larger history of SF,
      > one that has not yet come to pass, so the thought was to use unused
      > material and put some Delany "out there," after the original
      > suggestion of Gil Roth over at Voyant.
      >
      > At the time I was working on this with Chip, I also had a client who
      > was at my facility editing a short series of documentaries about
      > writers - Fred Barney Taylor. I introduced Chip to Fred, who
      > subsequently and graciously asked my permission to create a film of
      > his own about Chip, which I tendered without qualification, and so
      > today we have the unquestionably more ambitious documentary,
      > Polymath. Despite Mr. Taylor's failure to acknowledge my pivotal role
      > in the genesis of his film, this one is where it all started.
      >
      > While I have no doubt, most of you will enjoy Atlantis... you will
      > also find at my site, two films about the deceased writer, and former
      > Delany friend & co-author, Tom Disch. One of these two works being
      > his suicide note... in verse. One might also find a more ornate
      > venture into gender-bending fiction, in my experimental version of
      > Frederik Pohl's Day Million. Those unfamiliar with this brilliant
      > senior writer and editor, might be interested to know he was the book
      > editor who purchased an impossible property that went on to become one
      > of SF's most surprising best-sellers - Dahlgren. There is a bit more
      > to be found there and other projects soon to arrive.
      >
      > The page is called, "Men of the Future," and the link is:
      > http://www.youtube.com/user/agentb27
      >
      > Enjoy, and feel free to comment, rate, refer, embed and subscribe.
      >
      > -Eric Solstein
      > For current work, archives & materials of interest, at YouTube:
      > http://www.youtube.com/user/agentb27

      07:40:00
    • Jorge Rapalo
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 18, 2009
        Thank you very much for this. Living in Central America, my
        opportunities for seeing my favorite writers or hearing them talk are
        scarce. Thumbs up!

        On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 9:56 PM, Eric Solstein <digmez@...> wrote:
        > To all the members of the Delany list serve:
        >
        > I have just uploaded my film, Atlantis and Other New York Tales, in
        > its entirety, to my YouTube site.  It was filmed in 1999 and premiered
        > at Anthology Film Archive in 2001, and followed by a small VHS release
        > through Voyant Publishing.
        >
        > It is largely a reading, (at the Judson Church) with some brief
        > interview segments sprinkled within for a bit of context and variety.
        > The footage was all originally gathered for a larger history of SF,
        > one that has not yet come to pass, so the thought was to use unused
        > material and put some Delany "out there,"  after the original
        > suggestion of Gil Roth over at Voyant.
        >
        > At the time I was working on this with Chip, I also had a client who
        > was at my facility editing a short series of documentaries about
        > writers - Fred Barney Taylor.  I introduced Chip to Fred, who
        > subsequently and graciously asked my permission to create a film of
        > his own about Chip, which I tendered without qualification, and so
        > today we have the unquestionably more ambitious documentary,
        > Polymath.  Despite Mr. Taylor's failure to acknowledge my pivotal role
        > in the genesis of his film, this one is where it all started.
        >
        > While I have no doubt, most of you will enjoy Atlantis... you will
        > also find at my site, two films about the deceased writer, and former
        > Delany friend & co-author, Tom Disch.  One of these two works being
        > his suicide note... in verse.  One might also find a more ornate
        > venture into gender-bending fiction, in my experimental version of
        > Frederik Pohl's Day Million.  Those unfamiliar with this brilliant
        > senior writer and editor, might be interested to know he was the book
        > editor who purchased an impossible property that went on to become one
        > of SF's most surprising best-sellers - Dahlgren.  There is a bit more
        > to be found there and other projects soon to arrive.
        >
        > The page is called, "Men of the Future," and the link is:  http://www.youtube.com/user/agentb27
        >
        > Enjoy, and feel free to comment, rate, refer, embed and subscribe.
        >
        > -Eric Solstein
        > For current work, archives & materials of interest, at YouTube:
        > http://www.youtube.com/user/agentb27

      • Eric Solstein
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 30, 2009
          You are welcome... to everyone with a kind word in response to my
          uploading of "Atlantis...."

          I have posted another Delany piece... "The Orchid"

          Here are the notes accompanying my YouTube uploads:

          Playlist Notes

          This was Delany's first, and to the best of my knowledge, his last
          film. A quick trip back to the Age of Aquarius, perhaps "the Orchid"
          represents a mid point between New York's late 60's hippy scene and
          the mysterious urban anarchy of Delany's Bellona. Produced in 1971,
          it is a film steadfastly of its time, with maybe a touch out of Freud
          (and even Jung) creeping in as well.

          Part 1

          "The Orchid" has long been considered by his fans, Delany's "lost"
          film. It was not so much lost, as waiting for an audience interested
          enough in Delany, or possibly the New American Cinema of the era. The
          film had been long held by its producer, Barbara Wise, but Mr. Delany
          kindly offered to allow me to reproduce it to accompany "Atlantis..."
          and so, here it is.

          These days, short films tend to be less widely welcomed than in-laws
          coming for a stay over. But, a result of Delany's "star-power," and
          my long relationship with programmer Robert Haller, "the Orchid" got a
          latter premier at the Anthology Film Archives in 2001.

          Part 2

          Delany is well known for interminable finessing of his texts. However
          in film, and this appears to me to have been shot in 16mm, it is far
          more difficult and very expensive to return to one's material.
          Perhaps I have read too much into few words and tone of voice, but
          when I received this video originally from Chip, he did not seem
          overly attached to it.

          This version of "The Orchid" began its life on an already aged VHS
          casette, which we bumped up and did some basic color correction. The
          film appears to have faded early in the process, or been poorly
          transferred at the film to tape stage. All things considered, it has
          a rather pleasant patina, one that very much bespeaks its ancient
          origins.

          Part 3

          My work with Delany began as a part of a larger project I called "The
          Possible Future," a proposed TV documentary no one was interested
          in. It was to be a four part history of science fiction as a literary
          genre and an agent of change in our culture. Sadly, it will not come
          to pass, but happily, it has atomized itself into a number of other
          projects. "Atlantis..." was the first of these.

          While I was working with Chip (as his friends are usually asked to
          call him), I had another independent documentary producer editing at
          my now shuttered production facility. Fred Barney Taylor was more
          than a little intrigued by my clips of Delany, so I introduced the
          two. Fred eventually asked my permission to create his own
          documentary about Chip, and I offered my unqualified support. His
          film about late period Delany is called "The Polymath, or the Life and
          Opinions of Samuel R. Delany, Gentleman," and is recommended.

          Part 4

          Happy to see you have come this far! You are probably a Delany
          completist. Or maybe you are preparing a thesis on the man or his
          works. No matter, the film is full of intriguing ideas, if somewhat
          rough around the edges.

          And the link? Right below my name. And do feel free to take a peek
          at some of the other work.