RE: [delany-list] Polymath

  • Patrick Raffin
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 22, 2009
      Thank you.

      People outside the USA would of course agree to pay more (for shipping).
      Will maestromedia ship this DVD outside the USA ?

      Patrick Raffin

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 22, 2009
        I've spoken directly to Fred Barney Taylor and we made arrangements to ship
        to Canada. I'm sure you could do the same!
        --Zvi

        On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 4:49 PM, Patrick Raffin <p.raffin@...> wrote:

        > Thank you.
        >
        > People outside the USA would of course agree to pay more (for shipping).
        > Will maestromedia ship this DVD outside the USA ?
        >
        > Patrick Raffin

      • Peter Fogarty
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 22, 2009
          Fred said:

          I can mail you a copy. It's DVD NTSC Region 0, It should work just fine on
          any DVD player.

          This recently released version contains two discs: the first, The Polymath,
          the 80 minute feature; the second, over 2 and1/2 hours of interviews with
          Chip, including his 36-minute movie, The Orchid.

          I'm in New Zealand, so that means that international shipping should be
          fine. I'll be paying Fred through PayPal.

          I've asked whether there are subtitles available (I'm Deaf), but I haven't
          heard back yet.

          Cheers,
          Peter

          I've spoken directly to Fred Barney Taylor and we made arrangements to ship
          to Canada. I'm sure you could do the same!
          --Zvi

          On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 4:49 PM, Patrick Raffin <p.raffin@...> wrote:

          > Thank you.
          >
          > People outside the USA would of course agree to pay more (for shipping).
          > Will maestromedia ship this DVD outside the USA ?
          >
          > Patrick Raffin

        • Gil Tayar
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 28, 2009
            Just got a reply from Fred - he is shipping internationally (at least to
            Israel...) - $30 for US shipping, $40 for International! Although Fred
            doesn't accept Credit Card payments, just PayPal.

            On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 22:53, Zvi Gilbert <zvi@...> wrote:

            > I've spoken directly to Fred Barney Taylor and we made arrangements to ship
            > to Canada. I'm sure you could do the same!
            > --Zvi
            >

            > On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 4:49 PM, Patrick Raffin <p.raffin@...<p.raffin%40free.fr>>
            > wrote:
            >
            > > Thank you.
            > >
            > > People outside the USA would of course agree to pay more (for shipping).
            > > Will maestromedia ship this DVD outside the USA ?
            > >
            > > Patrick Raffin

            -- Gil Tayar

          • Eric Solstein
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 17, 2009
              To all the members of the Delany list serve:

              I have just uploaded my film, Atlantis and Other New York Tales, in
              its entirety, to my YouTube site. It was filmed in 1999 and premiered
              at Anthology Film Archive in 2001, and followed by a small VHS release
              through Voyant Publishing.

              It is largely a reading, (at the Judson Church) with some brief
              interview segments sprinkled within for a bit of context and variety.
              The footage was all originally gathered for a larger history of SF,
              one that has not yet come to pass, so the thought was to use unused
              material and put some Delany "out there," after the original
              suggestion of Gil Roth over at Voyant.

              At the time I was working on this with Chip, I also had a client who
              was at my facility editing a short series of documentaries about
              writers - Fred Barney Taylor. I introduced Chip to Fred, who
              subsequently and graciously asked my permission to create a film of
              his own about Chip, which I tendered without qualification, and so
              today we have the unquestionably more ambitious documentary,
              Polymath. Despite Mr. Taylor's failure to acknowledge my pivotal role
              in the genesis of his film, this one is where it all started.

              While I have no doubt, most of you will enjoy Atlantis... you will
              also find at my site, two films about the deceased writer, and former
              Delany friend & co-author, Tom Disch. One of these two works being
              his suicide note... in verse. One might also find a more ornate
              venture into gender-bending fiction, in my experimental version of
              Frederik Pohl's Day Million. Those unfamiliar with this brilliant
              senior writer and editor, might be interested to know he was the book
              editor who purchased an impossible property that went on to become one
              of SF's most surprising best-sellers - Dahlgren. There is a bit more
              to be found there and other projects soon to arrive.

              The page is called, "Men of the Future," and the link is: http://www.youtube.com/user/agentb27

              Enjoy, and feel free to comment, rate, refer, embed and subscribe.

              -Eric Solstein
              For current work, archives & materials of interest, at YouTube:
              http://www.youtube.com/user/agentb27

            • Amy Harlib
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 17, 2009
                aharlib@...
                Wow! That is really great. Thanks for putting this valuable material out
                there.
                Amy

                Subject: [delany-list] Delany reading on YouTube

                > To all the members of the Delany list serve:
                >
                > I have just uploaded my film, Atlantis and Other New York Tales, in
                > its entirety, to my YouTube site. It was filmed in 1999 and premiered
                > at Anthology Film Archive in 2001, and followed by a small VHS release
                > through Voyant Publishing.
                >
                > It is largely a reading, (at the Judson Church) with some brief
                > interview segments sprinkled within for a bit of context and variety.
                > The footage was all originally gathered for a larger history of SF,
                > one that has not yet come to pass, so the thought was to use unused
                > material and put some Delany "out there," after the original
                > suggestion of Gil Roth over at Voyant.
                >
                > At the time I was working on this with Chip, I also had a client who
                > was at my facility editing a short series of documentaries about
                > writers - Fred Barney Taylor. I introduced Chip to Fred, who
                > subsequently and graciously asked my permission to create a film of
                > his own about Chip, which I tendered without qualification, and so
                > today we have the unquestionably more ambitious documentary,
                > Polymath. Despite Mr. Taylor's failure to acknowledge my pivotal role
                > in the genesis of his film, this one is where it all started.
                >
                > While I have no doubt, most of you will enjoy Atlantis... you will
                > also find at my site, two films about the deceased writer, and former
                > Delany friend & co-author, Tom Disch. One of these two works being
                > his suicide note... in verse. One might also find a more ornate
                > venture into gender-bending fiction, in my experimental version of
                > Frederik Pohl's Day Million. Those unfamiliar with this brilliant
                > senior writer and editor, might be interested to know he was the book
                > editor who purchased an impossible property that went on to become one
                > of SF's most surprising best-sellers - Dahlgren. There is a bit more
                > to be found there and other projects soon to arrive.
                >
                > The page is called, "Men of the Future," and the link is:
                > http://www.youtube.com/user/agentb27
                >
                > Enjoy, and feel free to comment, rate, refer, embed and subscribe.
                >
                > -Eric Solstein
                > For current work, archives & materials of interest, at YouTube:
                > http://www.youtube.com/user/agentb27

                07:40:00
              • Jorge Rapalo
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 18, 2009
                  Thank you very much for this. Living in Central America, my
                  opportunities for seeing my favorite writers or hearing them talk are
                  scarce. Thumbs up!

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 30, 2009
                    You are welcome... to everyone with a kind word in response to my
                    uploading of "Atlantis...."

                    I have posted another Delany piece... "The Orchid"

                    Here are the notes accompanying my YouTube uploads:

                    Playlist Notes

                    This was Delany's first, and to the best of my knowledge, his last
                    film. A quick trip back to the Age of Aquarius, perhaps "the Orchid"
                    represents a mid point between New York's late 60's hippy scene and
                    the mysterious urban anarchy of Delany's Bellona. Produced in 1971,
                    it is a film steadfastly of its time, with maybe a touch out of Freud
                    (and even Jung) creeping in as well.

                    Part 1

                    "The Orchid" has long been considered by his fans, Delany's "lost"
                    film. It was not so much lost, as waiting for an audience interested
                    enough in Delany, or possibly the New American Cinema of the era. The
                    film had been long held by its producer, Barbara Wise, but Mr. Delany
                    kindly offered to allow me to reproduce it to accompany "Atlantis..."
                    and so, here it is.

                    These days, short films tend to be less widely welcomed than in-laws
                    coming for a stay over. But, a result of Delany's "star-power," and
                    my long relationship with programmer Robert Haller, "the Orchid" got a
                    latter premier at the Anthology Film Archives in 2001.

                    Part 2

                    Delany is well known for interminable finessing of his texts. However
                    in film, and this appears to me to have been shot in 16mm, it is far
                    more difficult and very expensive to return to one's material.
                    Perhaps I have read too much into few words and tone of voice, but
                    when I received this video originally from Chip, he did not seem
                    overly attached to it.

                    This version of "The Orchid" began its life on an already aged VHS
                    casette, which we bumped up and did some basic color correction. The
                    film appears to have faded early in the process, or been poorly
                    transferred at the film to tape stage. All things considered, it has
                    a rather pleasant patina, one that very much bespeaks its ancient
                    origins.

                    Part 3

                    My work with Delany began as a part of a larger project I called "The
                    Possible Future," a proposed TV documentary no one was interested
                    in. It was to be a four part history of science fiction as a literary
                    genre and an agent of change in our culture. Sadly, it will not come
                    to pass, but happily, it has atomized itself into a number of other
                    projects. "Atlantis..." was the first of these.

                    While I was working with Chip (as his friends are usually asked to
                    call him), I had another independent documentary producer editing at
                    my now shuttered production facility. Fred Barney Taylor was more
                    than a little intrigued by my clips of Delany, so I introduced the
                    two. Fred eventually asked my permission to create his own
                    documentary about Chip, and I offered my unqualified support. His
                    film about late period Delany is called "The Polymath, or the Life and
                    Opinions of Samuel R. Delany, Gentleman," and is recommended.

                    Part 4

                    Happy to see you have come this far! You are probably a Delany
                    completist. Or maybe you are preparing a thesis on the man or his
                    works. No matter, the film is full of intriguing ideas, if somewhat
                    rough around the edges.

                    And the link? Right below my name. And do feel free to take a peek
                    at some of the other work.