Polymath

  • First
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 22, 2009
      Chip sent this to me to post

      Dear Ric--
      Could you post this on the Yahoo Delany list:
      Andyone in the U.S. who is a Yahoo List Member,
      who would like to buy The Polymath
      but who can't get to a store that carries it.
      like St. Marks, can order it from
      maestromedia@... for
      $29.99, the same price as the bookstore,
      which will include postage. They should
      simply say they are Delany Yahoo List
      Members, and it will be sent to them.
      Alas, this offer is not good for people outside
      the U.S.A.
      Many thanks.
      --Chip
    • Patrick Raffin
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 22, 2009
        Thank you.

        People outside the USA would of course agree to pay more (for shipping).
        Will maestromedia ship this DVD outside the USA ?

        Patrick Raffin

        Could you post this on the Yahoo Delany list:
        Andyone in the U.S. who is a Yahoo List Member, who would like to buy The
        Polymath but who can't get to a store that carries it.
        like St. Marks, can order it from
        maestromedia@... for
        $29.99, the same price as the bookstore, which will include postage. They
        should simply say they are Delany Yahoo List Members, and it will be sent to
        them.
        Alas, this offer is not good for people outside the U.S.A.
        Many thanks.
        --Chip

        Ce message entrant est certifié sans virus connu.
        Analyse effectuée par AVG - www.avg.fr
        Version: 8.5.409 / Base de données virale: 270.13.112/2388 - Date: 09/22/09
        05:51:00
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 22, 2009
          I've spoken directly to Fred Barney Taylor and we made arrangements to ship
          to Canada. I'm sure you could do the same!
          --Zvi

          On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 4:49 PM, Patrick Raffin <p.raffin@...> wrote:

          > Thank you.
          >
          > People outside the USA would of course agree to pay more (for shipping).
          > Will maestromedia ship this DVD outside the USA ?
          >
          > Patrick Raffin

        • Peter Fogarty
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 22, 2009
            Fred said:

            I can mail you a copy. It's DVD NTSC Region 0, It should work just fine on
            any DVD player.

            This recently released version contains two discs: the first, The Polymath,
            the 80 minute feature; the second, over 2 and1/2 hours of interviews with
            Chip, including his 36-minute movie, The Orchid.

            I'm in New Zealand, so that means that international shipping should be
            fine. I'll be paying Fred through PayPal.

            I've asked whether there are subtitles available (I'm Deaf), but I haven't
            heard back yet.

            Cheers,
            Peter

            I've spoken directly to Fred Barney Taylor and we made arrangements to ship
            to Canada. I'm sure you could do the same!
            --Zvi

            On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 4:49 PM, Patrick Raffin <p.raffin@...> wrote:

            > Thank you.
            >
            > People outside the USA would of course agree to pay more (for shipping).
            > Will maestromedia ship this DVD outside the USA ?
            >
            > Patrick Raffin

          • Gil Tayar
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 28, 2009
              Just got a reply from Fred - he is shipping internationally (at least to
              Israel...) - $30 for US shipping, $40 for International! Although Fred
              doesn't accept Credit Card payments, just PayPal.

              On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 22:53, Zvi Gilbert <zvi@...> wrote:

              > I've spoken directly to Fred Barney Taylor and we made arrangements to ship
              > to Canada. I'm sure you could do the same!
              > --Zvi
              >

              > On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 4:49 PM, Patrick Raffin <p.raffin@...<p.raffin%40free.fr>>
              > wrote:
              >
              > > Thank you.
              > >
              > > People outside the USA would of course agree to pay more (for shipping).
              > > Will maestromedia ship this DVD outside the USA ?
              > >
              > > Patrick Raffin

              -- Gil Tayar

            • Eric Solstein
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 17, 2009
                To all the members of the Delany list serve:

                I have just uploaded my film, Atlantis and Other New York Tales, in
                its entirety, to my YouTube site. It was filmed in 1999 and premiered
                at Anthology Film Archive in 2001, and followed by a small VHS release
                through Voyant Publishing.

                It is largely a reading, (at the Judson Church) with some brief
                interview segments sprinkled within for a bit of context and variety.
                The footage was all originally gathered for a larger history of SF,
                one that has not yet come to pass, so the thought was to use unused
                material and put some Delany "out there," after the original
                suggestion of Gil Roth over at Voyant.

                At the time I was working on this with Chip, I also had a client who
                was at my facility editing a short series of documentaries about
                writers - Fred Barney Taylor. I introduced Chip to Fred, who
                subsequently and graciously asked my permission to create a film of
                his own about Chip, which I tendered without qualification, and so
                today we have the unquestionably more ambitious documentary,
                Polymath. Despite Mr. Taylor's failure to acknowledge my pivotal role
                in the genesis of his film, this one is where it all started.

                While I have no doubt, most of you will enjoy Atlantis... you will
                also find at my site, two films about the deceased writer, and former
                Delany friend & co-author, Tom Disch. One of these two works being
                his suicide note... in verse. One might also find a more ornate
                venture into gender-bending fiction, in my experimental version of
                Frederik Pohl's Day Million. Those unfamiliar with this brilliant
                senior writer and editor, might be interested to know he was the book
                editor who purchased an impossible property that went on to become one
                of SF's most surprising best-sellers - Dahlgren. There is a bit more
                to be found there and other projects soon to arrive.

                The page is called, "Men of the Future," and the link is: http://www.youtube.com/user/agentb27

                Enjoy, and feel free to comment, rate, refer, embed and subscribe.

                -Eric Solstein
                For current work, archives & materials of interest, at YouTube:
                http://www.youtube.com/user/agentb27

              • Amy Harlib
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 17, 2009
                  aharlib@...
                  Wow! That is really great. Thanks for putting this valuable material out
                  there.
                  Amy

                  Subject: [delany-list] Delany reading on YouTube

                  > To all the members of the Delany list serve:
                  >
                  > I have just uploaded my film, Atlantis and Other New York Tales, in
                  > its entirety, to my YouTube site. It was filmed in 1999 and premiered
                  > at Anthology Film Archive in 2001, and followed by a small VHS release
                  > through Voyant Publishing.
                  >
                  > It is largely a reading, (at the Judson Church) with some brief
                  > interview segments sprinkled within for a bit of context and variety.
                  > The footage was all originally gathered for a larger history of SF,
                  > one that has not yet come to pass, so the thought was to use unused
                  > material and put some Delany "out there," after the original
                  > suggestion of Gil Roth over at Voyant.
                  >
                  > At the time I was working on this with Chip, I also had a client who
                  > was at my facility editing a short series of documentaries about
                  > writers - Fred Barney Taylor. I introduced Chip to Fred, who
                  > subsequently and graciously asked my permission to create a film of
                  > his own about Chip, which I tendered without qualification, and so
                  > today we have the unquestionably more ambitious documentary,
                  > Polymath. Despite Mr. Taylor's failure to acknowledge my pivotal role
                  > in the genesis of his film, this one is where it all started.
                  >
                  > While I have no doubt, most of you will enjoy Atlantis... you will
                  > also find at my site, two films about the deceased writer, and former
                  > Delany friend & co-author, Tom Disch. One of these two works being
                  > his suicide note... in verse. One might also find a more ornate
                  > venture into gender-bending fiction, in my experimental version of
                  > Frederik Pohl's Day Million. Those unfamiliar with this brilliant
                  > senior writer and editor, might be interested to know he was the book
                  > editor who purchased an impossible property that went on to become one
                  > of SF's most surprising best-sellers - Dahlgren. There is a bit more
                  > to be found there and other projects soon to arrive.
                  >
                  > The page is called, "Men of the Future," and the link is:
                  > http://www.youtube.com/user/agentb27
                  >
                  > Enjoy, and feel free to comment, rate, refer, embed and subscribe.
                  >
                  > -Eric Solstein
                  > For current work, archives & materials of interest, at YouTube:
                  > http://www.youtube.com/user/agentb27

                  07:40:00
                • Jorge Rapalo
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 18, 2009
                    Thank you very much for this. Living in Central America, my
                    opportunities for seeing my favorite writers or hearing them talk are
                    scarce. Thumbs up!

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 30, 2009
                      You are welcome... to everyone with a kind word in response to my
                      uploading of "Atlantis...."

                      I have posted another Delany piece... "The Orchid"

                      Here are the notes accompanying my YouTube uploads:

                      Playlist Notes

                      This was Delany's first, and to the best of my knowledge, his last
                      film. A quick trip back to the Age of Aquarius, perhaps "the Orchid"
                      represents a mid point between New York's late 60's hippy scene and
                      the mysterious urban anarchy of Delany's Bellona. Produced in 1971,
                      it is a film steadfastly of its time, with maybe a touch out of Freud
                      (and even Jung) creeping in as well.

                      Part 1

                      "The Orchid" has long been considered by his fans, Delany's "lost"
                      film. It was not so much lost, as waiting for an audience interested
                      enough in Delany, or possibly the New American Cinema of the era. The
                      film had been long held by its producer, Barbara Wise, but Mr. Delany
                      kindly offered to allow me to reproduce it to accompany "Atlantis..."
                      and so, here it is.

                      These days, short films tend to be less widely welcomed than in-laws
                      coming for a stay over. But, a result of Delany's "star-power," and
                      my long relationship with programmer Robert Haller, "the Orchid" got a
                      latter premier at the Anthology Film Archives in 2001.

                      Part 2

                      Delany is well known for interminable finessing of his texts. However
                      in film, and this appears to me to have been shot in 16mm, it is far
                      more difficult and very expensive to return to one's material.
                      Perhaps I have read too much into few words and tone of voice, but
                      when I received this video originally from Chip, he did not seem
                      overly attached to it.

                      This version of "The Orchid" began its life on an already aged VHS
                      casette, which we bumped up and did some basic color correction. The
                      film appears to have faded early in the process, or been poorly
                      transferred at the film to tape stage. All things considered, it has
                      a rather pleasant patina, one that very much bespeaks its ancient
                      origins.

                      Part 3

                      My work with Delany began as a part of a larger project I called "The
                      Possible Future," a proposed TV documentary no one was interested
                      in. It was to be a four part history of science fiction as a literary
                      genre and an agent of change in our culture. Sadly, it will not come
                      to pass, but happily, it has atomized itself into a number of other
                      projects. "Atlantis..." was the first of these.

                      While I was working with Chip (as his friends are usually asked to
                      call him), I had another independent documentary producer editing at
                      my now shuttered production facility. Fred Barney Taylor was more
                      than a little intrigued by my clips of Delany, so I introduced the
                      two. Fred eventually asked my permission to create his own
                      documentary about Chip, and I offered my unqualified support. His
                      film about late period Delany is called "The Polymath, or the Life and
                      Opinions of Samuel R. Delany, Gentleman," and is recommended.

                      Part 4

                      Happy to see you have come this far! You are probably a Delany
                      completist. Or maybe you are preparing a thesis on the man or his
                      works. No matter, the film is full of intriguing ideas, if somewhat
                      rough around the edges.

                      And the link? Right below my name. And do feel free to take a peek
                      at some of the other work.