Captives of the Flame

  • Greg Weeks
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 18, 2009
      Captives of the Flame is showing up as an ebook several places now.
      Fictionwise and Amazon are where I've seen it. It looks like it's the same
      publisher both places. They do a lot of other public domain material.

      --
      Greg Weeks
      http://durendal.org:8080/greg/
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 18, 2009
        Am I right in recalling that "Captives of the Flame" was retitled "Out of
        the Dead City" for later publication? If so, it's curious that the eBook
        would revert to the old title. And I wonder if it incorporates the revisions
        that Delany made (as noted in the "Notes on Revisions" in the single-volume
        version of "The Fall of the Towers" that I just checked).

        On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 8:13 AM, Greg Weeks <greg@...> wrote:

        > Captives of the Flame is showing up as an ebook several places now.
        > Fictionwise and Amazon are where I've seen it. It looks like it's the same
        > publisher both places. They do a lot of other public domain material.
        >
        > --
        > Greg Weeks
        > http://durendal.org:8080/greg/

        Joseph Zitt :: The Path of the Bookseller :: blog.josephzitt.com

      • Greg Weeks
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 18, 2009
          On Thu, 18 Jun 2009, Joseph Zitt wrote:

          > Am I right in recalling that "Captives of the Flame" was retitled "Out of
          > the Dead City" for later publication? If so, it's curious that the eBook
          > would revert to the old title. And I wonder if it incorporates the revisions
          > that Delany made (as noted in the "Notes on Revisions" in the single-volume
          > version of "The Fall of the Towers" that I just checked).

          I strongly suspect it's from the original Ace edition. The Ace edition did
          not have it's copyright renewed. The changes in the later editions under
          the new title were published after renewals were no longer required.

          When I looked into this a few years ago Chip wanted Project Gutenberg to
          do the newer version. We never did get all of the paper work done though.
          I've got copies of both the Ace and the newer 3-in-1 volume. I've never
          tried to look to find out what changed though.

          --
          Greg Weeks
          http://durendal.org:8080/greg/
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 18, 2009
            Two points:

            Out of the Dead City was the ORIGINAL title -- Ace retitled it the more
            dramatic "Captives of the Flame".

            From the discussion in 'The Motion of Light in Water', 'Captives of the
            Flame' was severely cut to fit the Ace page length and Delany felt that he
            had to butcher the book in doing so. I just bet Chip would want a better
            edition up there!

            --Zvi