Review from Analog

  • Greg Weeks
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 22, 2008
      If anyone is interested in a review of "Captives of the Flame" from the
      November 1963 Analog I have not very good scans up at:

      http://durendal.org:8080/liad/asf196311090.gif
      http://durendal.org:8080/liad/asf196311091.gif

      They won't stay up for very long.

      --
      Greg Weeks
      http://durendal.org:8080/greg/
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 23, 2008
        On Nov 23, 2008, at 07:23:21, delany-list@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        > If anyone is interested in a review of "Captives of the Flame" from
        > the
        > November 1963 Analog I have not very good scans up at:
        >
        > http://durendal.org:8080/liad/asf196311090.gif
        > http://durendal.org:8080/liad/asf196311091.gif

        Thanks for this. Just the remembrance of the old Ace Doubles was
        fabulous, but, Lords of the Psychon as well! I loved that book.
        Formative years.

        - Wade
      • Jorge Rapalo
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 23, 2008
          Who was it that said that the golden years of SF for someone are
          precisely those formative young ones?

          On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 8:37 AM, Wade T Smith <skepticus@...> wrote:

          > On Nov 23, 2008, at 07:23:21, delany-list@yahoogroups.com wrote:
          >
          >> If anyone is interested in a review of "Captives of the Flame" from
          >> the
          >> November 1963 Analog I have not very good scans up at:
          >>
          >> http://durendal.org:8080/liad/asf196311090.gif
          >> http://durendal.org:8080/liad/asf196311091.gif
          >
          > Thanks for this. Just the remembrance of the old Ace Doubles was
          > fabulous, but, Lords of the Psychon as well! I loved that book.
          > Formative years.
          >
          > - Wade

        • Erich Schneider
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 23, 2008
            "Jorge Rapalo" <JRapalo@...> writes:

            > Who was it that said that the golden years of SF for someone are
            > precisely those formative young ones?

            Apparently, Peter Graham, in the fanzine Void in 1957.
            "The Golden Age of science fiction is twelve."

            --
            Erich Schneider erich@...
          • Jorge Rapalo
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 23, 2008
              Thanks.
              Oh, to be twelve again...
              :)

              On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 4:09 PM, Erich Schneider <erich@...> wrote:
              > "Jorge Rapalo" <JRapalo@...> writes:
              >
              >> Who was it that said that the golden years of SF for someone are
              >> precisely those formative young ones?
              >
              > Apparently, Peter Graham, in the fanzine Void in 1957.
              > "The Golden Age of science fiction is twelve."
              >
              > --
              > Erich Schneider erich@...

            • Patrick Raffin
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 24, 2008
                To be twelve in today's world ?

                Thanks but no thanks

                Patrick Raffin

                >> Who was it that said that the golden years of SF for someone are
                >> precisely those formative young ones?
                >
                > Apparently, Peter Graham, in the fanzine Void in 1957.
                > "The Golden Age of science fiction is twelve."
                >
                > --
                > Erich Schneider erich@...

                > for the discussion of the works of Samuel R. Delany. ==Yahoo! Groups
                > Links

                18:59
              • Jorge Rapalo
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 26, 2008
                  Well, when I was 12, here in Honduras, Central America, there was
                  absolutely no Delany on bookstores, or any other meaningful SF.
                  Asimov was the extent of all the SF. My German grandfather despaired
                  at finding any good books of any kind in the pathetic local bookstores
                  and ended up moving back to Europe in frustration. NONE of my
                  classmates read ANYTHING at all, and I was made fun of for such a
                  weird habit. And there was no reliable mail order service to bring
                  things from elsewhere. Even comic books would get stolen in the local
                  post office, if they arrived at all.

                  Movies arrived a year late if at all. There was a repressive military
                  dictatorship and compulsory military draft to look forward to, in a
                  military where draftees were often killing in brutal training
                  exercises.

                  So... I kinda like today a bit more, you know?

                  On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 2:34 PM, Patrick Raffin <p.raffin@...> wrote:
                  > To be twelve in today's world ?
                  >
                  > Thanks but no thanks
                  >
                  > Patrick Raffin

                • Ron Henry
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 28, 2008
                    On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 3:34 PM, Patrick Raffin <p.raffin@...> wrote:
                    > To be twelve in today's world ?
                    >
                    > Thanks but no thanks
                    >
                    > Patrick Raffin

                    I dunno. I was 12 in 1975 and that was no great shakes. ;)

                    Ron Henry