rest in peace, Disch

  • Eli Bishop
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 6 5:30 PM
      Maybe everyone here already knows this, but: Thomas M. Disch died two
      days ago in New York, reportedly suicide.

      Along with Delany, Vonnegut, and a handful of others, he wrote things
      that seem to me like some of the greatest treasures of human culture
      in the last hundred years... except I can't really tell, because to me
      they're just like vital organs of my own mind and heart now.

      I knew people who knew him, but I never met him -- and, to be honest,
      I would've been a little afraid to meet him given the opportunity,
      because the bitterness of his public persona had reached Kingsley Amis
      proportions. Reading his online journal was often like looking into an
      open wound, which once in a while would divulge a pearl of humor or a
      ridiculously good poem. Being a selfish reader, among all the pain on
      display what bothered me most was that he had never reconciled with
      Chip (over something that, from the little I know about it, was too
      stupid to repeat). Well, either we're all reconciled in the end, or it
      won't matter.

      I was going to write something about having just seen The Polymath,
      but I'm too damn sad now.

      Eli
    • Amy Harlib
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 7 3:17 AM
        aharlib@...
        I'm very sad to read this.
        He will be missed.
        Amy

        > Maybe everyone here already knows this, but: Thomas M. Disch died two
        > days ago in New York, reportedly suicide.
        >
        > Along with Delany, Vonnegut, and a handful of others, he wrote things
        > that seem to me like some of the greatest treasures of human culture
        > in the last hundred years... except I can't really tell, because to me
        > they're just like vital organs of my own mind and heart now.
        >
        > I knew people who knew him, but I never met him -- and, to be honest,
        > I would've been a little afraid to meet him given the opportunity,
        > because the bitterness of his public persona had reached Kingsley Amis
        > proportions. Reading his online journal was often like looking into an
        > open wound, which once in a while would divulge a pearl of humor or a
        > ridiculously good poem. Being a selfish reader, among all the pain on
        > display what bothered me most was that he had never reconciled with
        > Chip (over something that, from the little I know about it, was too
        > stupid to repeat). Well, either we're all reconciled in the end, or it
        > won't matter.
        >
        > I was going to write something about having just seen The Polymath,
        > but I'm too damn sad now.
        >
        > Eli

        > 5:26 AM

      • nivekgnir
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 7 1:21 PM
          RIP.

          --- In delany-list@yahoogroups.com, "Eli Bishop" <ibitzkay@...> wrote:

          > Maybe everyone here already knows this, but: Thomas M. Disch died two
          > days ago in New York, reportedly suicide.
          >
          > Along with Delany, Vonnegut, and a handful of others, he wrote things
          > that seem to me like some of the greatest treasures of human culture
          > in the last hundred years... except I can't really tell, because to me
          > they're just like vital organs of my own mind and heart now.
          >
          > I knew people who knew him, but I never met him -- and, to be honest,
          > I would've been a little afraid to meet him given the opportunity,
          > because the bitterness of his public persona had reached Kingsley Amis
          > proportions. Reading his online journal was often like looking into an
          > open wound, which once in a while would divulge a pearl of humor or a
          > ridiculously good poem. Being a selfish reader, among all the pain on
          > display what bothered me most was that he had never reconciled with
          > Chip (over something that, from the little I know about it, was too
          > stupid to repeat). Well, either we're all reconciled in the end, or it
          > won't matter.
          >
          > I was going to write something about having just seen The Polymath,
          > but I'm too damn sad now.
          >
          > Eli

        • nivekgnir
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 11 10:49 AM