Review of "Dark Reflections"

  • ricbest2001
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2007
      Hello All,
      Heres a review of "Dark Reflections"

      http://www.dhalgren.com/Blog/

      Also keep an eye out for Black Clock issue 7 (blackclock.org) for a new story "In the Valley of
      the Nest of Spiders."

      Mr. Delany writes:
      "It crosses about every boundary one could cross, in a lackadaisical, laid back manner. For all
      I know, it may turn into a short series of (three) tales."

      A series!!!! I'm thrilled!

      Ric
    • ricbest2001
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 5, 2007
      • Lavelle Porter
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 10, 2007
          Here's a link to a review that appears in the 8/9/07 NY Times:
          http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/09/books/review/Dreisinger-t.html?_r=1&ref=review&oref=slogin

          And here's a link to a review written by yours truly which appears in the more humble environs of a student newspaper at the CUNY Graduate Center.
          http://www.gcadvocate.org/index.php?action=view&id=176

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 11, 2007
            The New York Times? That's nice and prominent. Has anything else by Delany
            ever been reviewed in the NYT? I vaguely recall 'Times Square Red, Times
            Square Blue' was but I'm not sure.

            That said, starting a review of a book that takes a 20th century poet as
            its subject with Wordsworth's hoary line about 'unacknowledged
            legislators' either has an irony that eludes me or is just not very useful
            as a beginning. And of course I disagree with '...doesn't always make for
            riveting reading', as Delany's prose ensures that it DOES; further, I
            disagree with the lurking idea behind those lines that experience must
            turn in to epiphanies in fiction -- which again, seems like a strange tack
            to take in a review. I'm not sure it's useful or interesting to criticize
            a book of modern fiction on the basis that nothing in particular happens
            in the first section of the book.

            But hey, any publicity...

            --Zvi

            > Here's a link to a review that appears in the 8/9/07 NY Times:
            > http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/09/books/review/Dreisinger-t.html?_r=1&ref=review&oref=slogin
            >
            > And here's a link to a review written by yours truly which appears in
            > the more humble environs of a student newspaper at the CUNY Graduate
            > Center.
            > http://www.gcadvocate.org/index.php?action=view&id=176

            > == A mailing list for the discussion of the works of Samuel R. Delany. ==
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Erich Schneider
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 11, 2007
              zvi@... writes:

              > The New York Times? That's nice and prominent. Has anything else by Delany
              > ever been reviewed in the NYT? I vaguely recall 'Times Square Red, Times
              > Square Blue' was but I'm not sure.

              Gerald Jonas reviewed a bunch of his books for the NYT over the years.
              For example, here's his review of _Stars..._, which I am currently
              rereading:

              http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B04EEDF1739F933A25751C0A963948260

              Delany himself has also had stuff published in the NYT over the years.
              For example, here's his review of Le Guin's _Always Coming Home_:

              http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F04EFDC1539F93AA1575AC0A963948260

              He also had an article in either the December 31, 1999 or January 1,
              2000 edition of the paper, speculating about the next millenium, but I
              can't find it online (I bought copies of the NYT for both days as
              souvenirs of the rollver).

              --
              Erich Schneider erich@...
            • keefboof
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 15, 2007
                > He also had an article in either the December 31, 1999 or January 1,
                > 2000 edition of the paper, speculating about the next millenium, but I
                > can't find it online (I bought copies of the NYT for both days as
                > souvenirs of the rollver).

                Actually, the millennium article ("Future Shock") was in the Village
                Voice. Here's the link:

                http://www.villagevoice.com/news/9952,delany,11385,1.html
              • Jorge Rapalo
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 15, 2007