Delany errata on the web

  • nivekgnir
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2007
      Hi, folks.

      Just wanted everyone to know that for those of you interested in the
      matter, Chip has kindly allowed me to put correction sheets for his work
      up on my website. I only have information for four books right now
      (Nova, Empire Star, Babel-17, and Aye, And Gomorrah and other stories),
      but I plan on getting pretty much everything up there, eventually. Of
      course, those four were the easiest as I had them in a Word document.
      The rest are in typed sheets. I'm starting on Dhalgren soon -- if anyone
      has a recent list of corrections to Dhalgren in electronic format,
      please let me know. Chip's copy was damaged beyond repair.

      Here's the link: http://www.oneringcircus.com/delany_main.html
      <http://www.oneringcircus.com/delany_main.html>

      --Kevin

    • nivekgnir
      Message 2 of 9 , May 5, 2007
        FWIW, the Dhalgren entries are now almost complete.

      • zvi@vex.net
        Message 3 of 9 , May 5, 2007
          Thanks, Kevin. It's nice to have them up electronically; also, it's great
          that the hard-working participants of this list got a mention when we
          helped out Maurizio with the Italian translation -- I notice a few on that
          page that we discovered.

          I didn't see this one, and I was wondering if you could forward it to SRD
          (or, possibly, it's already been corrected; I have the Bantam paperback
          and the Wesleyan paperback but not the Vintage one).

          ===
          >>p. 701 [Wesleyan]
          >><Christ, I used to spend weeks making black oil and Mereget>
          >>What's that Mereget? I dind't find it anywhere.

          I think it's 'Maroger', short for 'Maroger medium'. A google search on
          'black oil' + 'oil painting' came up with an extensive site giving
          particulars of how to mix various oil painting mediums
          (http://www.oils-studio.co.uk/mediums.htm); Jacques Maroger was a curator
          and art researcher (1884-1962) who "researched extensively into the
          materials and techniques of the Old Masters and wrote a book on the
          subject". The formulas that bear his name are used, like black oil, to mix
          with the oil pigments so they dry faster in complex ways and add various
          tones to the oil paint.

          Further evidence: yes, black oil and Maroger medium(s) [media?] are
          extremely toxic and dangerous to mix up; thus, Lanya's comment (which
          follows immediately on what you've quoted) that "It's a wonder I didn't
          asphyxiate someone." makes perfect sense.

          Also note that mereget and maroger sound quite similar at least to the
          American ear ;) . 'Meh-ro-zhe'.
          ===

          Cheers,

          --Zvi

          > FWIW, the Dhalgren entries are now almost complete.
          > --- In delany-list@yahoogroups.com, "nivekgnir" <kdring@...> wrote:
          >> Hi, folks.
          >> Just wanted everyone to know that for those of you interested in the
          >> matter, Chip has kindly allowed me to put correction sheets for his work
          >> up on my website. I only have information for four books right now
          >> (Nova, Empire Star, Babel-17, and Aye, And Gomorrah and other stories),
          >> but I plan on getting pretty much everything up there, eventually. Of
          >> course, those four were the easiest as I had them in a Word document.
          >> The rest are in typed sheets. I'm starting on Dhalgren soon -- if anyone
          >> has a recent list of corrections to Dhalgren in electronic format,
          >> please let me know. Chip's copy was damaged beyond repair.
          >> Here's the link: http://www.oneringcircus.com/delany_main.html
          >> <http://www.oneringcircus.com/delany_main.html>
          >> --Kevin
        • Robert Elkin
          Message 4 of 9 , May 5, 2007
            This is from the mouth of a character--should not
            characters, each with its own sense of the way things
            are, be allowed to make errors? Or would the error in
            question be too unlikely for the particular character
            to make? Or, if the two words sound alike, is it
            possibly an error in the narrator's transcription of
            what was said?

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • zvi@vex.net
            Message 5 of 9 , May 5, 2007
              > This is from the mouth of a character--should not
              > characters, each with its own sense of the way things
              > are, be allowed to make errors? Or would the error in
              > question be too unlikely for the particular character
              > to make? Or, if the two words sound alike, is it
              > possibly an error in the narrator's transcription of
              > what was said?

              I agree these issues are directly relevant as to whether this
              misspelling should be corrected. But I can point to a couple of
              places in the errata where the spelling of complex words that
              someone says (Newboy, Kidd) to the putative narrator *is* corrected.

              And do you think that Lanya -- an art student and tape jockey
              -- would herself not know how these words were spelled? (sell-sink /
              cell-sync was the other, similar case.)

              SRD may have his reasons to keep the 'misheard' spelling; or,
              for whatever reason, these ones weren't caught. It would be
              interested to hear which possibility obtains, anyway, and when
              a scholar creates the annotated DHALGREN a hundred years from
              now when we're all dead, I want the hyperlinked note to
              give the right spelling(s). :)

              --Zvi

            • nivekgnir
              Message 6 of 9 , May 5, 2007
                It's the same in the 3rd Vintage printing, so I've forwarded your
                message to Chip. We'll see what transpires!

                --Kevin

              • zvi@vex.net
                Message 7 of 9 , May 8, 2007
                  Hey Kevin,

                  Here's the other erratum we discovered when working with Maurizio that
                  didn't appear on your list: this one from Tim Walters. If you could
                  forward this one to Chip as well, that would be great (assuming it still
                  appears in the 3rd vintage printing):

                  ===
                  Re: [delany-list] Questions about Dhalgren. 11
                  Maurizio Nati said:
                  >p. 519
                  >Lanya is describing the tape recorder. "It's two free and reversible
                  >four-track recorders on one chassis, with built in cell-sink." Cell-sink is
                  >something like "incorporated batteries"?
                  >And then I find often the term "tab". What is, in this case?

                  For once, a question I can answer that no one beat me to (although
                  Ron came close).

                  The correct spelling is "sel-sync" (short for "select
                  synchronization"). Whether Delany's spelling is his own error, or
                  meant to represent the way that Kid hears it, I don't know.

                  To understand how it works, imagine a multi-track analog tape
                  recorder. There are three heads on the machine, in this order: erase,
                  record, playback. If you want to overdub one part while listening to
                  another, you have a problem: the physical distance between the record
                  and playback heads causes a time delay, which in turn will result in
                  your part being desynchronized. The solution is to have an option to
                  playback from the record head. This gives you lower quality, but
                  correct timing, and since it's only for monitoring while recording,
                  the lower quality doesn't matter.

                  "Sel-sync" allows you to select, on a track-by-track basis, which
                  head to use for playback. This allows both for synchronization, as
                  described above, and deliberate desynchronization, using the tape
                  machine as an echo unit (cf. the scene in HEAVENLY BREAKFAST). This
                  feature was and is only found on recorders intended for professional
                  use.

                  That's probably way more than you need to know!

                  Tim Walters : The Doubtful Palace : http://www.doubtfulpalace.com
                  ===

                  --Zvi

                  > It's the same in the 3rd Vintage printing, so I've forwarded your
                  > message to Chip. We'll see what transpires!
                  > --Kevin
                • nivekgnir
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 8, 2007
                    Being a musician who has made several recordings (and who has taken
                    several recording engineering courses), I really should have caught
                    that, myself. I'll send it off to Chip ASAP.

                  • nivekgnir
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 11, 2007
                      Three things, folks.

                      1) Dark Reflections corrections are now up on my site.

                      2) Chip's response to "Mereget" vs. "Maroger":
                      Zvi is right. It's "Maroger." Someone actually caught that years ago,
                      back when only the Bantam edition was out. (Marilyn used to use a
                      commecial variety of it, back when she was a student at the Art
                      Students' League, studying with Edwin Dickenson. And I recall he gave
                      them a class in how to make the stuff--he swore it was much better to
                      make your own. Somewhere in there, it includes lead, I believe.) But I
                      guess it must have slipped through the cracks . . .
                      Please convey my best (and great thanks) to Zvi.

                      3) Chip's response to "cell-sink" vs. "sel-sync":
                      Thanks again to Zvi for the "sel-sync" correction. (I want to say, "I
                      knew that!" But, back then, when I was writing it, I doubt I did.)

                      Oh, one more thing . . . there's now a form on the "contact" page of
                      my site where people can submit possible errors. I'll forward 'em to
                      Chip for review/verification.

> [...]

                      > >> mediums
                      > >> (http://www.oils-studio.co.uk/mediums.htm); Jacques
                      > >> Maroger was a curator
                      > >> and art researcher (1884-1962) who "researched
                      > >> extensively into the
                      > >> materials and techniques of the Old Masters and
                      > >> wrote a book on the
                      > >> subject". The formulas that bear his name are used,
                      > >> like black oil, to mix
                      > >> with the oil pigments so they dry faster in complex
                      > >> ways and add various
                      > >> tones to the oil paint.
                      > >>
                      > >> Further evidence: yes, black oil and Maroger
                      > >> medium(s) [media?] are
                      > >> extremely toxic and dangerous to mix up; thus,
                      > >> Lanya's comment (which
                      > >> follows immediately on what you've quoted) that
                      > >> "It's a wonder I didn't
                      > >> asphyxiate someone." makes perfect sense.
                      > >>
                      > >> Also note that mereget and maroger sound quite

                      Delany. ==