Re: [delany-list] Digest Number 881

  • Kendall Clark
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2007
      On Mar 31, 2007, at 9:52 AM, delany-list@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > The Polymath, or the Life and Opinions of Samuel R. Delany,
      > Gentleman, a
      > documentary directed by Fred Barney Taylor. (U.S.A) – World
      > Premiere. A
      > fascinating portrait of science fiction writer and renaissance
      > African-American artist and teacher Samuel R. Delany includes
      > vivid tales
      > of his sexual escapades in this experimental documentary.

      Wow, that sounds v. interesting, indeed. Some googling doesn't turn
      up anything of use about the director or the film. How odd that there
      wouldn't be a weblog or home page... -sigh-

      I'm in DC but won't be able to get to NYC for this screening. (The
      *first* week I moved to DC from Dallas, I got to hear Chip, Octavia
      Butler (god rest her soul), and Nalo Hopkinson speak at Howard U.
      about African Americans in scifi, etc. What a thrill!)

      If any of you find out anything about this film, whether it will be
      distributed, can be purchased on DVD, etc., please inform this list?

      Thanks,
      Kendall Clark
    • Ralph Dumain
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 31, 2007
        I'm in DC too. Didn't know about the Howard gig but I saw Delany & Butler
        together a few years ago at the Museum of Natural or American History. A
        couple of years ago I think.

        At 09:59 AM 3/31/2007 -0400, you wrote:

        >On Mar 31, 2007, at 9:52 AM, delany-list@yahoogroups.com wrote:
        >
        > > The Polymath, or the Life and Opinions of Samuel R. Delany,
        > > Gentleman, a
        > > documentary directed by Fred Barney Taylor. (U.S.A) ­ World
        > > Premiere. A
        > > fascinating portrait of science fiction writer and renaissance
        > > African-American artist and teacher Samuel R. Delany includes
        > > vivid tales
        > > of his sexual escapades in this experimental documentary.
        >
        >Wow, that sounds v. interesting, indeed. Some googling doesn't turn
        >up anything of use about the director or the film. How odd that there
        >wouldn't be a weblog or home page... -sigh-
        >
        >I'm in DC but won't be able to get to NYC for this screening. (The
        >*first* week I moved to DC from Dallas, I got to hear Chip, Octavia
        >Butler (god rest her soul), and Nalo Hopkinson speak at Howard U.
        >about African Americans in scifi, etc. What a thrill!)
        >
        >If any of you find out anything about this film, whether it will be
        >distributed, can be purchased on DVD, etc., please inform this list?
        >
        >Thanks,
        >Kendall Clark
      • Eric Solstein
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 31, 2007
          Fred Barney Taylor is an excellent documentary filmmaker. He did a
          series of three (maybe four?) beautifully wrought films that attached
          authors to their cities for the Travel Channel in 2000, and was
          appropriately enough called, "Great Writers, Great Cities." The work
          was far too good for them, and they actually had to pay him for it,
          so they cut the project short. I believe they were Paco Ignacio
          Taibo's Mexico City, Iain Sinclair's London and Carl Hiaasen's Miami.

          I was working with Delany on a number of film projects including
          "Atlantis and Other New York Tales" while doing post-production with
          Fred. He was intrigued by Chip (fancy that) and asked to be
          introduced. Subsequently they began filming together.

          -Eric Solstein