Re: Dark Reflections

  • vpoleganov
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 5, 2006
      The book cover is now up on the Amazon link and it's lovely :).
    • Henrick Pålsson
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 5, 2006
        Yes, indeed, so lovely, I cant wait tills his new book
        is available.

        Henrick
        --- vpoleganov <vpoleganov@...> skrev:

        > The book cover is now up on the Amazon link and it's
        > lovely :).

        kalender. Dessutom 250 MB gratis, virusscanning och antispam. Få den på: http://se.mail.yahoo.com
      • ricbest2001
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 2, 2007
          Hello Everyone,
          Just a quick note to tell you that I ran into Mr. Delany last week and
          he was kind enough to give me a galley edition of his upcoming book
          "Dark Reflections.' I must say its one of the most human books I've
          ever read. It concerns gay,black,poet Arnold Hawey who lives in New
          York City's Lower East Side. The novel is broken into three sections
          which chronologically goes backwards in Hawleys life. Delany is again
          at his best dealing with issues of race, art, sex, poverty all with
          brutal honesty. There is some humor and a lot of sadness. An
          astonishing book! I devoured it. I cant wait to discuss this with you
          all. I believe its release date is May 15th.
          And we might learn who wrote Phallos!
          Take Care,
          Ric

          **************************************
          from AOL at http://www.aol.com
        • Pete Lenz
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 2, 2007
            It seems that Dark Reflections has been released already. I was
            expecting a May publication date, but it's available right now. This is
            very exciting.

            -Pete
          • Henrick Pålsson
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 2, 2007
              Great News!

              But they havent send my book yet, I checked my page on
              amazon, maybe soon, I cant wait anymore to read his
              new book.

              Cheerio
              Henrick

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 12, 2007
                Bought my copy at Robins Books in Philadelphia. Is it out all over?
                Ric
              • Joseph Zitt
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 12, 2007
                  ricbest2001 wrote:
                  > Bought my copy at Robins Books in Philadelphia. Is it out all over?
                  > Ric

                  I got mine last week at Pegasus Books in Berkeley. But we also have it
                  at the Borders in San Francisco where I work.
                • mischa adams
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 13, 2007
                    Amazon won't ship until May.

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • zvi@vex.net
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 14 9:05 AM
                      I have just finished DR (stayed up late last night to do so -- I read
                      section 1 over two evenings last week, read section 2 during the day on
                      Sunday, and read section 3 Sunday night). I was very moved. I think it's
                      an excellent book. Though the themes and subject matter are those of late
                      Delany -- explicitly about the experience of black, urban, gay men in the
                      twentieth century -- in some ways, it is different from anything Delany
                      has done before.

                      It does have what I think is the signature hallmark of late-mature
                      Delany--highly-charged prose that carries the reader along and lets them
                      feel what it's like to be in another's consciousness and body. Literate
                      references forming a web of allusions and names that anchors the text to
                      20th century letters. Looping strings of beautiful prose.

                      However, the consciousness of the protagonist is constituted rather
                      differently than most of Delany's protagonists -- the way that repression
                      and disappointment and self-abnegation work on him is much more overt (the
                      young Sam of Atlantis is perhaps the most similar); and we experience his
                      difficulties and poverty and isolation quite painfully.

                      It is a sad book, in many ways. But there are moments of reprieve. And I'm
                      already rolling around phrases from it in my head and looking forward to
                      re-reading it over the next years.