Re: The Orchid...Atlantis and Other New York Tales

  • scimoto
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 28, 2006
      Eric,

      Has there been any progress with the Delany DVD? You mentioned that
      you might include the short film "The Orchid" if you completed the
      DVD. I bought Atlantis on VHS from you long ago, but I'm dying to
      see "The Orchid". Is there any way on earth for a person to see this
      short film? I'll do anything.
      Thanks.

      -Jason

      --- In delany-list@yahoogroups.com, Eric Solstein <digmez@...> wrote:

      > Jason,
      >
      > In 2002, I shut down my production facility in New York City and
      moved
      > upstate. Now, I am working on all the projects you have inquired
      about
      > without assistance, while simultaneously serving my former NYC
      clients
      > (as a video producer/director), tending to my very recently
      expanded
      > family (Rafi was born in October) and trying to succeed at being a
      > recluse (which a lot harder than you might expect).
      >
      > Nevertheless, I expect to finish editing "Trout" in March (or April
      or
      > May or...). "Atlantis," which should still be available on VHS
      from
      > Voyant, is not abandoned. I am currently in discussions with Here!
      TV
      > about presenting it on their network. Completion of the DVD is
      pending
      > the outcome of those discussions.
      >
      > As for "The Orchid" (which I did arrange to be shown at the
      Anthology
      > Film Archives once upon a time) is still a possible addition.
      Delany
      > was talking about talking to that film's producer about obtaining
      > rights, though I haven't spoken to him in over a year. A friend of
      > mine, and excellent filmmaker, Fred Barney Taylor, has been working
      > closely with Chip on something exciting, so stay tuned.
      >
      > As for the DMZ site, I have let it gather cobwebs since I shut down
      > (and had to let go the staff member who managed it), but it is
      still on
      > the server, with both Jim Gunn's "History of Science Fiction Film
      > Series" and my "John Campbell's Golden Age of Science Fiction,"
      still
      > available.
      >
      > For DMZ's offerings - http://dmznyc.com/html/forsale.html
      >
      > And Voyant is at -
      > http://www.voyantpub.com/voyant_main/titlesordering.htm#atlantis
      >
      > Thanks for your interest.
      >
      > -Eric Solstein
      >

      > On Jan 21, 2005, at 5:46 PM, scimoto wrote:
      >

      > > Eric, is it too soon to ask you about the status of this DVD, its
      > > upcoming release, etc.? It's exciting to imagine being able,
      finally,
      > > to see "The Orchid". I've not seen "Atlantis"...etc. either. I've
      > > never seen Delany read. (Shame on me for that!)
      > > And how is "The Real Trout" coming along? (I'm a little
      confused...I
      > > can't find any information about purchasing videos and DVDs on the
      > > DMZ site.)
      > >

      > > -Jason
      > >

      > > --- In delany-list@yahoogroups.com, Eric Solstein <digmez@e...>
      wrote:
      > >> "The Orchid" is an avante garde, film. I had been making plans
      > > with
      > >> Chip to offer it as a bonus track within the DVD release
      > > of "Atlantis
      > >> and Other new York Tales," a filmed reading/performance of his at
      > > the
      > >> Judson Church. However this DVD version will not become
      available
      > >> until I complete my present project, "The Real Trout," a
      > > documentary
      > >> about writers, most prominently: Kurt Vonnegut, Ted Sturgeon and
      > > Barry
      > >> Malzberg. When a release date becomes available, I will announce
      > > it on
      > >> this forum, probably early 2005.
      > >>
      > >> -Eric Solstein

      > > Delany.
      > >>>

      > > == Posted to delany-list, hosted at onelist^Wegroups^Wyahoo ==
      > > == A mailing list for the discussion of the works of Samuel R.
      Delany.
      > > ==
      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • scimoto
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 4, 2006
        I seem to be having trouble posting this, but here, I'll try again:

        Eric, has there been any progress with the Delany DVD? You mentioned
        before that if you did complete it, you might include Delany's short
        film "The Orchid". I very much want to see "The Orchid"...is there
        any way in the world that I can see it?