Re: [delany-list] Re: Reading Phallos

  • sknhdjohn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 22, 2006
      In a message dated 6/22/06 12:48:54, bllsln@... writes:

      >*Phallos* leans largely on Lacan

      I took it as a pisstake on Lacan, in contrast to the Mad Man which involved
      taking piss.
    • bllsln
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 3, 2006
        I'll be back home in New York City, next Tuesday (July 10th). If the
        folks who were interested in a group great of Phallos could look at
        the first third of the novella, I'll try to come up with some more
        interesting stuff to post. Perhaps if you folks had some questions
        that you could stick up for us all to consider, we might have
        something to consider as a group.

        I'll throw out a few here.

        Why do you think John Addington Symonds is in the introduction?

        Why the composer Marc Blitzstein ("Cradle Will Rock" "Three Penny
        Opera")? Not to mention Gregory Battock?

        And why all that folderol in the first place, if none of it is true?

        These are some question I found it fun to think about after my first
        reading.

        Best--
        Bill
      • pete lenz
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 4, 2006
          I will take a look at the 1/3 of Phallos and try and come up with some questions of my own. I'm excited to get a reading of Phallos started.

          Best,

          -Pete

        • bllsln
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 12, 2006
            Bill here again, back from Maryland. My apologies to those who were
            waiting for me on the 10th. At the risk of a little overkill, I
            thought I'd get together some links for those who were still
            interested in the Phallos Group Read. Bellow are all names referred to
            in the first four pages of Delany's novella. No one is obliged to
            follow all the links I provide or to read everything, but even looking
            at a few of them at random should be interesting. Okay, here goes.

            Walter Pater: A gay critic of the late 19th's century. He was a great
            influence on all the modernists, including Joyce and Woolf. In About
            Writing Delany cites him repeatedly as a critic important for writers
            even today. The link below will lead you to Edmond Gosse's
            appreciation of Pater, written on his death.)

            <http://www.pseudopodium.org/repress/gosse/walter-pater-a-portrait.html>

            Lionel Pigot Johnson (1867–02) was a poet, a member of the Rhymers'
            Club, a critic, and religious thinker. Nearly a midget, Johnson was a
            gay alcoholic, a friend of Pater's and Earnest Dowson. The love of his
            life was the adventurer and soldier of fortune Austin Ferrand, who was
            killed at Ladysmith. A volume of Johnson's selected poems, published
            in 1915, was introduced by a major essay by Ezra Pound. A cherished
            copy of this edition was in the poet Hart Crane's adolescent library.

            Arthur Symons (who, while he was not gay, was deeply sympathetic
            to a number of men and artists who were, including Pater, Johnson,
            and Verlaine. Click on the chronology):

            <http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~simmers/symons1.htm>

            John Addington Symonds:

            <http://www.infopt.demon.co.uk/symindex.htm>

            Baron Crovo (a.k.a Frederic Rolfe):

            <http://www.studiocleo.com/librarie/rolfe/main.html>

            Marc Blitzstein (1905–63):

            <http://www.glbtq.com/arts/blitzstein_m.html>

            Leonard Bernstein borrowed the tune for "There's a Place for Us . . ."
            from a Blitzstein song that never found its way into one of
            Blitzstein's own actual shows/operas, called "Mr. What's His Name . .
            ."—certainly Blitzstein's best known melody today. He was beaten and
            killed in Martinique by some Portuguese sailors he cruised one night.
            As well as his own shows, Cradle Will Rock, No for an Answer, and
            Regina, he was the arranger for the phenomenally successful production
            of the Brecht/Weill Threepenny Opera in the 1954 production.

            Gregory Battcock (1937–80), writer and art critic, was part of the
            circle around the radical Dutch psychiatrist Dr. Hendrick Rouytenbeek,
            and his young protégé, Richard McConckie, in the early 1960, along
            with film-maker Gregory Markopoulus (Twice a Man, The Illiac Passion),
            a circle with which Delany himself was briefly associated during his
            year at CUNY and just after it. (Personal communication with SRD.)
            Delany several times dined with Battcock at Ruytenbeek's NYCiy home.
            In 1980, Battcock was murdered during a visit to Puerto Rico when he
            picked up a young hustler on the beach and brought him back to his
            hotel room.

            The Bibliotheque Nationale is the national library of France,
            comparable to the Library of the British Museum or the U. S. Library
            of Congress. The Enfer is the nickname for the BN's considerable
            holdings in the genre of pornography, in which, at the beginning of
            the century, the surrealist poet Guillaume Apollinaire was a managing
            librarian. Henry Spencer Ashbee and Jules Gay are 19th century
            biographers, respectively English and French, famous for keeping track
            of the erotica published in and out of their respective languages.

            Now, what do all these figures have in common? They are involved with
            gay rights, gay art, or—in the case of Winkelmann, Blitzstein and
            Battock—they were the victims of moral homophobic oppression.

            I believe this web of associations suggest both the history out of
            wjhich Phallos grows and the audience to which it addressed—an
            audience who might be concerned with such a history. I suspect this
            is really meaningful in terms of where the tale told in Phallos takes us.

            Any comments?

            Best—
            Bill
          • bllsln
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 13, 2006
              Bill here, once more.
              Apologies for the occasional mis-typings in my last long message. The
              one that might actually confuse people: Gay and Ashbee are, of course,
              19th century "bibliographers," not "biographers." (And their works
              with the fancy titles--*Cetena Liborum Tacandorum* [1885],
              *Bibliographie des ouvrages relatifs a l'Amour* [six vols., 1871-73],
              etc.--are large, annotated bibliographies of pornography.) Sorry,
              folks. If you want more information about any of this, see Steven
              Marcus's book *The Other Victorians* [1964]. Oh, and the production of
              the Marc Blitzstein arrangememnt of *The Threepenny Opera* I referred
              to opened in 1952, not '54. You will find others.
              Too much sun down in Maryland . . .

              Best,
              Bill