Re: [delany-list] Re: The Critical Symposium

  • Amy Harlib
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 6 9:39 AM
      aharlib@...

      Thanks for those links!
      Cheers!
      Amy

      > Lavelle, thank you so much. The original web site for the symposium is at:
      > http://www.english.buffalo.edu/delany/
      >
      > I live in Toronto -- about 1.5 hours away -- I wish it had been on a
      > weekend rather than Thursday-Friday -- or that I'd gotten it together
      > enough to take two days off from work...
      >
      > I see that you spoke on:
      > "History, Myth, and Identity in Robert Hayden's 'Middle Passage' and
      > Samuel R. Delany's Atlantis: Model 1924". I'd certainly be interested in
      > reading your paper if you feel like circulating it to the list.
      >
      > Do you know if the papers will be gathered into a volume of some sort that
      > we could purchase?
      >
      > Best,
      >
      > --Zvi
      >
      > (Your moderator apologizes for not approving Lavelle's message quickly.)
      >

      > > I attended (and presented at) the conference, and it was a wonderful and
      > > warm intellectual experience. Delany was present throughout the two
      days
      > > and graciously sat through everyone's presentation.
      > >
      > > Unfortunately, I don't have time to write more about it here, but I am
      > > pasting links to two very well-written blog entries about the conference
      > > from participants Steven Shaviro and L. Timmel Duchamp:
      > >
      > > http://www.shaviro.com/Blog/?p=487
      > >
      > > http://www.infinitematrix.net/faq/essays/duchamp.html
      > >
      > > Cheers,
      > > Lavelle
      >

      > == Posted to delany-list, hosted at onelist^Wegroups^Wyahoo ==
      > == A mailing list for the discussion of the works of Samuel R. Delany. ==
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Lavelle Porter
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 6 10:22 AM
        Zvi,

        I was wondering what happened to that message. Glad to see it made it through.

        There is in fact some discussion about gathering the papers into a volume. Now, I usually don't get my hopes up when it comes to post-academic conference plans to publish papers. Such plans have a tendency to fall apart due to lack of interest, lack of funds, etc. However, given that Delany himself and the conference planners have close ties to publishers, this one may have a better chance than most. We'll see. Even if the plans do follow through, I expect that it will be quite a while before the actual text is available.

        Relating to that, my own paper was very much a work in progress so I need to do some work on it before I send it out. Once I get a draft that I'm satisfied with I'll be happy to post it to the list.

        Lavelle