New Here

  • Fred Kiesche
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 11, 2005
      Greetings:

      Just found the group. I did a Google search on "Delany + Bron" as I'm
      reading the "Shadows" essay in "The Jewel-Hinged Jaw" and could not
      recall a story with a character by that in it.

      Joe Zitt is here too? Oy vay...

      Fred Kiesche
    • oga@ihug.co.nz
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 11, 2005
        Welcome! I guess that you've found the story that Bron
        appears in, by now? It's Triton. Cheers, Peter

        > Greetings:
        >
        > Just found the group. I did a Google search on "Delany +
        > Bron" as I'm reading the "Shadows" essay in "The
        > Jewel-Hinged Jaw" and could not recall a story with a
        > character by that in it.
        >
        > Joe Zitt is here too? Oy vay...
        >
        > Fred Kiesche

        > discussion of the works of Samuel R. Delany. == Yahoo!
        > Groups Links

      • Fred Kiesche
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 12, 2005
          Greetings:

          Yep, read that one quite a long time ago--Bantam
          paperback, around the era of reading Nova and
          Dhalgren.

          The hysterical perspective: I read several Delany
          short stories in anthologies like Orbit or the Nebula
          Award books in the 60's. My parent's bought me
          Dhalgren for Christmas one year. After that I picked
          up Nova (still my favorite) and Triton.

          For a fairly long time that probably was it for Delany
          for me. Eventually I lost Triton and Dhalgren, but
          still retained Nova.

          A few years ago I came across the reprint edition of
          Distant Stars and fairly quickly picked up The Jewels
          f Aptor, The Fall of the Towers, Einstein, "Aye, and
          Gomorrah", Babel/Empire, a new Dhalgren and a new
          Nova. If you look on my blog (link below), you'll see
          a fairly bad blog entry under the "Best of" section
          that is my attempt to summarize/synthesize all this
          reading and re-reading.

          Oh yes, also picked up a hardcover edition of "Motion
          of Light", which from the perspective of 2004/2005
          seems more like science fiction than most science
          fiction!

          I'm reading (re-reading sections, depending on the
          essay) "Jewel-Hinged" right now and re-reading Nova as
          well. Maybe I'll get to Dhalgren again this year,
          which would be the first time since the 1970's that
          I've read it.

          Fred Kiesche (FPK3)

          My books are water; those of great geniuses are wine. Everybody drinks water. (Mark Twain, "Notebook")

          Science, science fiction and more. See The Eternal Golden Braid. (http://theeternalgoldenbraid.blogspot.com/)

          __________________________________
          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 13, 2005
            Fred,

            I went to your blog (a fellow Hofstadter fan, I take it?) and clicked the
            link,
            under Best of the Blog, labeled "Samuel R. Delany." It took me to a "page
            not found" page on Blogspot.

            --Dan'l

            >From: Fred Kiesche <godel2escher2bach@...>
            >To: delany-list@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [delany-list] Re: Re: New Here
            >Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 06:52:29 -0700 (PDT)
            >
            >Greetings:
            >
            >Yep, read that one quite a long time ago--Bantam
            >paperback, around the era of reading Nova and
            >Dhalgren.
            >
            >The hysterical perspective: I read several Delany
            >short stories in anthologies like Orbit or the Nebula
            >Award books in the 60's. My parent's bought me
            >Dhalgren for Christmas one year. After that I picked
            >up Nova (still my favorite) and Triton.
            >
            >For a fairly long time that probably was it for Delany
            >for me. Eventually I lost Triton and Dhalgren, but
            >still retained Nova.
            >
            >A few years ago I came across the reprint edition of
            >Distant Stars and fairly quickly picked up The Jewels
            >f Aptor, The Fall of the Towers, Einstein, "Aye, and
            >Gomorrah", Babel/Empire, a new Dhalgren and a new
            >Nova. If you look on my blog (link below), you'll see
            >a fairly bad blog entry under the "Best of" section
            >that is my attempt to summarize/synthesize all this
            >reading and re-reading.
            >
            >Oh yes, also picked up a hardcover edition of "Motion
            >of Light", which from the perspective of 2004/2005
            >seems more like science fiction than most science
            >fiction!
            >
            >I'm reading (re-reading sections, depending on the
            >essay) "Jewel-Hinged" right now and re-reading Nova as
            >well. Maybe I'll get to Dhalgren again this year,
            >which would be the first time since the 1970's that
            >I've read it.
            >

            >Fred Kiesche (FPK3)
            >
            >My books are water; those of great geniuses are wine. Everybody drinks
            >water. (Mark Twain, "Notebook")
            >
            >Science, science fiction and more. See The Eternal Golden Braid.
            >(http://theeternalgoldenbraid.blogspot.com/)
            >

            >__________________________________
            >http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Fred Kiesche
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 14, 2005
              Greetings:

              Sorry about that! You may actually have clicked on it
              while I was editing it. If the content of the first
              couple of lines changes slightly, then I need to
              cut-and-paste a new link in as the old one won't work.

              It should work now (just checked it). Be
              forewarned--under heavy construction, hit by a batch
              of writer's block, etc., so it ain't pretty.

              Fred Kiesche (FPK3)

              My books are water; those of great geniuses are wine. Everybody drinks water. (Mark Twain, "Notebook")

              Science, science fiction and more. See The Eternal Golden Braid. (http://theeternalgoldenbraid.blogspot.com/)

              __________________________________
              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Peter Fogarty
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 14, 2005
                I was just reading some of the recent posts and they made me think of
                my thesis.

                http://ogamu.blogspot.com/2005/10/catalyst-brooklyn-bridge-best-bit-from.html

                Like it looks, this is the best bit from my thesis "Mirror, Prism,
                Lens" which I've ripped off the pdf and posted so that you can read
                it. Does anyone remember the essay in Shorter Views, On the
                unspeakable? I paid homage to this essay by formatting the above
                conclusion to my thesis in a double column. If anyone wants to see
                this in its original presentation, I can email a pdf.