CFP: Samuel R. Delany -- A Critical Symposium (1/15/06; 3/23/06-3/24/06)

  • Lavelle Porter
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 28, 2005
      CFP: Samuel R. Delany -- A Critical Symposium (1/15/06; 3/23/06-3/24/06)From: <krjames_at_buffalo.edu>
      Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:07:29 -0400

      CALL FOR PAPERS: SAMUEL R. DELANY - A CRITICAL SYMPOSIUM
      SUNY Buffalo
      March 23-4, 2006
      Deadline: January 15, 2006

      ?Samuel R. Delany: A Critical Symposium? is a conference intended to provide
      an interdisciplinary forum for world-class scholars and innovative writers to
      discuss and celebrate Delany's work.

      The author of thirty-four books of fiction and nonfiction, Samuel R. Delany has
      had an enormous influence across a wide range of American literary and critical
      endeavor. His work has been anthologized in the Norton Anthology of African
      American Literature, he has won four Nebula awards for his science fiction and
      a Hugo for his autobiography, The Motion of Light in Water, and for his whole
      body of work he has been awarded the William Whitehead Memorial Award for
      a Lifetime Contribution to Lesbian and Gay Literature.

      The goal of the conference is to begin to build critical bridges between the many
      fields of writing and inquiry in which Delany has made his mark. Suggested
      topics for discussion include, but are in no way limited to, the relation of
      Delany's work to feminism, African American literature, queer theory, science
      fiction, contemporary philosophy, urban theory, postmodernism, Marxism,
      psychoanalysis, and cyberculture. It will also encourage dialogue between
      academics and writers who have claimed Delany as an influence. In this way, it
      is hoped, the conference will mark the beginning of a new wave of scholarship
      on a writer whose interrogations of gender and sexuality, race and class, genre
      and theory, and identity and difference have been and will remain of vital
      importance to American literature and thought.

      Of special importance to this conference is that Mr. Delany himself will be
      attending and giving a reading.

      Send one-to-two page proposals to Ken James, English Department, State
      University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY 14260. The deadline is January
      15, 2006. Check this posting for further updates on the conference.

      CFP_at_english.upenn.edu
      Full Information at
      http://cfp.english.upenn.edu
      or write Jennifer Higginbotham: higginbj_at_english.upenn.edu

      http://cfp.english.upenn.edu/archive/2005-09/0245.html

    • Pete Lenz
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 29, 2005
        I'm very excited about this corrected edition of Nova. Now, I plan on
        ordering a copy of it, but there's one thing I'm concerned about. If I
        order a copy of Nova, will it have the same ISBN number as the first
        Vintage edition or a new one? i don't want to get stuck with another
        copy of the one I already own.

        Best,

        -Pete
      • Joseph Zitt
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 29, 2005
          Pete Lenz wrote:

          >I'm very excited about this corrected edition of Nova. Now, I plan on
          >ordering a copy of it, but there's one thing I'm concerned about. If I
          >order a copy of Nova, will it have the same ISBN number as the first
          >Vintage edition or a new one? i don't want to get stuck with another
          >copy of the one I already own.

          As I understand it, if the content of a book has changed at all since
          the previous edition, it needs a new ISBN.