Re: New Corrected Edition of Nova

  • Guy_Fawkes99
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 28, 2005
      Here's what the man himself had to say about that question:

      " The cover of the new *Nova* is the same as the old. But the back
      cover-copy is entirely different:
      In large white letters, it says at the top:
      "Samuel R. Delany . . .as of this book . . .
      is the best science ficton writer in the world."
      --Galaxy Magazine
      It then goes on:

      A thousand years from now, among the stars of the Pleiadies to the
      suns of the Outer Colonies, Captain Lorq von Ray and the starship
      *Roc* race Prince and Ruby Red, of Red-Shift, Ltd., for the trans-
      uranic element "illlyrion," power source for this glittering
      tomorrow . . .

      It goes on to give a list and description of Mouse, Lynceos and
      Idas, Katin, and Sebastian and Tyy. It concludes with:

      "Filled with adventures, mysteries, and marvels, *Nova* is a
      compelling vision of the web and ways in which society, labor, and
      art interconnect."

      This is followed by two more brief quotes. Right now I don't have a
      copy of the older edition's cover copy, but it's entirely different.
      Inside, on the copyright page, the edition is marked as the 2nd
      printing."

      So there ya go. Sounds cool.

      > Most excellent -- I'm still "struggling along" with my Doubleday
      copy, but a
      > corrected text
      > would be lovely. Is there any easy way to tell the two Vintage
      printings
      > apart?
      >
      > >From: "Guy_Fawkes99" <guy_fawkes99@y...>
      > >To: delany-list@yahoogroups.com
      > >Subject: [delany-list] New Corrected Edition of Nova
      > >Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 01:12:55 -0000
      > >
      > >Hey y'all,
      > >
      > >SRD asked me to pass this along:
      > >
      > >A couple of hours ago, I [SRD] wandered into our local Barnes &
      Noble,
      > >out on 82nd Street and Broadway, to pick up some novels by John
      > >Banville, who is coming to visit, lecture, and read to our
      creative
      > >writing program students next month. The sky was dark. The Avenue
      was
      > >bustling and colorful.
      > > While I was wandering around the fiction section on the
      second
      > >floor, I glanced at the SF shelves, and noted a partricuarly shiny
      > >copy of the Vintage trad paperback of Nova. When I lifted it down
      from
      > >the shelf, I saw all back cover copy had been rewritten. I flipped
      > >through it, quickly--and, yes, this was a second printing. Finally
      > >they have inserted all the corrections from the list I made when
      the
      > >first printing came out.
      > >
      > >Mr. Delany says this is the "corrected and definitive edition".
      I for
      > >one am entirely unfamiliar with his early science fiction, but
      perhaps
      > >this is a good place to start.

    • Lavelle Porter
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 28, 2005
        CFP: Samuel R. Delany -- A Critical Symposium (1/15/06; 3/23/06-3/24/06)From: <krjames_at_buffalo.edu>
        Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:07:29 -0400

        CALL FOR PAPERS: SAMUEL R. DELANY - A CRITICAL SYMPOSIUM
        SUNY Buffalo
        March 23-4, 2006
        Deadline: January 15, 2006

        ?Samuel R. Delany: A Critical Symposium? is a conference intended to provide
        an interdisciplinary forum for world-class scholars and innovative writers to
        discuss and celebrate Delany's work.

        The author of thirty-four books of fiction and nonfiction, Samuel R. Delany has
        had an enormous influence across a wide range of American literary and critical
        endeavor. His work has been anthologized in the Norton Anthology of African
        American Literature, he has won four Nebula awards for his science fiction and
        a Hugo for his autobiography, The Motion of Light in Water, and for his whole
        body of work he has been awarded the William Whitehead Memorial Award for
        a Lifetime Contribution to Lesbian and Gay Literature.

        The goal of the conference is to begin to build critical bridges between the many
        fields of writing and inquiry in which Delany has made his mark. Suggested
        topics for discussion include, but are in no way limited to, the relation of
        Delany's work to feminism, African American literature, queer theory, science
        fiction, contemporary philosophy, urban theory, postmodernism, Marxism,
        psychoanalysis, and cyberculture. It will also encourage dialogue between
        academics and writers who have claimed Delany as an influence. In this way, it
        is hoped, the conference will mark the beginning of a new wave of scholarship
        on a writer whose interrogations of gender and sexuality, race and class, genre
        and theory, and identity and difference have been and will remain of vital
        importance to American literature and thought.

        Of special importance to this conference is that Mr. Delany himself will be
        attending and giving a reading.

        Send one-to-two page proposals to Ken James, English Department, State
        University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY 14260. The deadline is January
        15, 2006. Check this posting for further updates on the conference.

        CFP_at_english.upenn.edu
        Full Information at
        http://cfp.english.upenn.edu
        or write Jennifer Higginbotham: higginbj_at_english.upenn.edu

        http://cfp.english.upenn.edu/archive/2005-09/0245.html

      • Pete Lenz
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 29, 2005
          I'm very excited about this corrected edition of Nova. Now, I plan on
          ordering a copy of it, but there's one thing I'm concerned about. If I
          order a copy of Nova, will it have the same ISBN number as the first
          Vintage edition or a new one? i don't want to get stuck with another
          copy of the one I already own.

          Best,

          -Pete
        • Joseph Zitt
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 29, 2005
            Pete Lenz wrote:

            >I'm very excited about this corrected edition of Nova. Now, I plan on
            >ordering a copy of it, but there's one thing I'm concerned about. If I
            >order a copy of Nova, will it have the same ISBN number as the first
            >Vintage edition or a new one? i don't want to get stuck with another
            >copy of the one I already own.

            As I understand it, if the content of a book has changed at all since
            the previous edition, it needs a new ISBN.