Need help researching!

  • richard racheter
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 8, 2005
      Hello, I am relatively new to this group although I have contributed a few times. Since I am a retired college librarian, I find myself posing questions about Samuel Delany -- and then getting bogged down trying to ferret out the answers. Perhaps some members of this delany-list -- those wiser and more experienced than I -- can shed some light.

      My questions all deal with a ranking of Delany's works -- a listing you might say.

      First of all: Regarding Delany's books viewed solely as books. Please list five of his books (including editions) that you think are the most valuable (hard to obtain?) -- purely as books - nothing to do with contents. Specific if you believe a signed book is more valuable than an unsigned one. (1) would be the most valuable -- down to (5)

      Note to the above. I was corresponding to one of the list not too long ago (sorry I forgot his name) and I stated that I thought Starboard Wine was Delany's most valuable book. This member said that Tides of Lust (1973 paperback)[this title was Lancer publisher's title, not Delany's]is probably his most valuable book. This is the kind of information I am seeking.

      Second: List five of his SF (and fantasy?) works in order of their importance and influence.

      Third: List five of his non-SF works in order of their importance.

      Fourth (and lastly): List your personal five favorites from among all Delany's work.

      Please, I suggest these answer-lists be sent to me personally at <RRacheter@...> Hopefully enough Delany scholars and readers and researchers will reply so that I can come up with some interesting statistics. Please help. Sincerely, Richard.
      http://datingsearch.lycos.com
    • Steve M
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 8, 2005
        At 1:07 PM -0500 3/8/05, richard racheter wrote:
        >Please, I suggest these answer-lists be sent to me personally at
        ><RRacheter@...> Hopefully enough Delany scholars and readers and
        >researchers will reply so that I can come up with some interesting
        >statistics.

        Because I think this would be of interest to all of us, I'm replying
        both to you and to the list.

        >My questions all deal with a ranking of Delany's works -- a listing
        >you might say.
        >
        >First of all: Regarding Delany's books viewed solely as books.
        >Please list five of his books (including editions) that you think
        >are the most valuable (hard to obtain?) -- purely as books - nothing
        >to do with contents. Specific if you believe a signed book is more
        >valuable than an unsigned one. (1) would be the most valuable --
        >down to (5)

        Since I'm a reader rather than a book collector, these are all just
        guesses (and I can't stop at 5 for this list, though I will for the
        others):
        1. The manuscript to "Voyage, Orestes!"
        2. The American Shore
        3. Pristine first edition of "Dhalgren" (because I don't think value
        can be entirely separated from content; it's the confluence of rarity
        and content worth finding)
        4. Tides of Lust (US)
        5. The Jewel-Hinged Jaw
        6. Tides of Lust (UK)
        7. Wagner/Artaud (I was never able to find a copy of this as a
        standalone book, despite numerous attempts)

        >Second: List five of his SF (and fantasy?) works in order of their
        >importance and influence
        (I think importance and influence are two vastly different things;
        importance includes works you think WILL have influence in the future
        or works that will be recognized as important by scholars when they
        discover them, while influence obviously is only influence to date;
        hard to put these together).
        1. Triton (two decades later, cyberpunk was stalking the ground he
        charted here)
        2. Dhalgren
        3. Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand
        4. Tales of Neveryon
        5. Babel-17

        >Third: List five of his non-SF works in order of their importance.
        1. The Jewel-Hinged Jaw
        2. The Mad Man
        3. Times Square Red/Times Square Blue
        4. The Motion of Light in Water
        5. Starboard Wine

        >Fourth (and lastly): List your personal five favorites from among
        >all Delany's work.
        1. Dhalgren
        2. Tales of Neveryon
        3. Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand
        4. The Motion of Light in Water
        5. Empire Star
        (6. Triton)
      • Robert Elkin
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 9, 2005
          A half-reply to Richard's questions:

          > First of all: Regarding Delany's books viewed solely
          > as books. Please list five of his books (including
          > editions) that you think are the most valuable (hard
          > to obtain?) -- purely as books - nothing to do with
          > contents. Specific if you believe a signed book is
          > more valuable than an unsigned one. (1) would be the
          > most valuable -- down to (5)

          Conditions: 1) All below are in mint condition, and
          inscribed--preferably to New York Mets pitcher Pedro
          Martinez; 2) Since I cannot conscientiously separate a
          book from what it contains, that'll be a limiter.
          1) 1st HC of THE FALL OF THE TOWERS (handmade &
          published in an edition of three copies by William
          T. Vollmann);
          2) Original Steiner translation of Culhar' Text (ms.,
          bound in tattooed human skin);
          3) THE BALLAD OF BETA-2 (Ace Double, b/w Petaja's
          ALPHA
          YES, TERRA NO!--variant w/o Petaja's name on
          spine);
          4) DEVIL GIRLS, as by Ed Wood (pseud. for Delany)--Pad

          Books, 1967;
          5) SOME REMARKS TOWARD THE MODULAR CALCULUS (complete
          set--not yet published, but rumour says McSweeney's

          will publish this in a multi-volume leatherbound
          slipcased edition some time in 2006).

          > Second: List five of his SF (and fantasy?) works in
          > order of their importance and influence.
          > Third: List five of his non-SF works in order of
          > their importance.

          Not sure I agree with the parameter of "importance,"
          but even if I did, I'm certainly not qualified to say.
          Sorry.

          > Fourth (and lastly): List your personal five
          > favorites from among all Delany's work.

          Three should be good enough.
          1) MOTION OF LIGHT IN WATER
          2) BALLAD OF BETA-2
          3) TIMES SQUARE RED TIMES SQUARE BLUE

          Hope this helps a bit. Am posting, not emailing, as
          this seems more a community activity.

          Rob

          __________________________________
          Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
        • kmisho64@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 12, 2005
            In a message dated 3/8/2005 7:12:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            lists@... writes:
            3. Pristine first edition of "Dhalgren" (because I don't think value
            can be entirely separated from content; it's the confluence of rarity
            and content worth finding)
            I liek your list. Teh only thing I woudl add is a hardback edition of
            Dahlgren. I actually submitted to buy a newest hardback edition of it and it was
            already sold out. The only copy I have ever seen was a copy of the first hardback
            that a friend of mine checked out froma library, never brought back, then paid
            for...deliberately.

            Any hardback of Dhalgren has to be up there.

            thansk

            misho

          • Ron Henry
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 12, 2005
              On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 04:58:45 EST, kmisho64@... <kmisho64@...> wrote:

              > In a message dated 3/8/2005 7:12:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              > lists@... writes:
              > 3. Pristine first edition of "Dhalgren" (because I don't think value
              > can be entirely separated from content; it's the confluence of rarity
              > and content worth finding)
              > I liek your list. Teh only thing I woudl add is a hardback edition of
              > Dahlgren. I actually submitted to buy a newest hardback edition of it and it was
              > already sold out. The only copy I have ever seen was a copy of the first hardback
              > that a friend of mine checked out froma library, never brought back, then paid
              > for...deliberately.

              If it was the one published back in the 70s (like the one in my town's
              library when I was in high school) it must have been the Gregg Press
              edition, which exactly reproduced the text of the Bantam paperback,
              iirc, but also included that cool introduction by Jean Mark Gawron,
              which was otherwise unavailable until Ash of Stars came out. I have
              to admit I was tempted to swipe that edition myself.

              --
              Ron Henry
              AUGHT #13 now out
              Message 6 of 7 , May 27, 2005
                Hi all,

                Some time ago I posted a number of times asking for some help as I was
                putting together a 'collectors guide' for Delany. You were all very helpful.

                It's taken a long time and still isn't finished. BUT I have decided that
                rather than create the guide for print production I would put it on the web.
                It's not ready for fully public consumption yet by any means (not least
                because the picture I used on the front is just one from somewhere on the
                internet - does anyone have a nice photo of SRD that they own the copyright
                of?) but I would be really grateful if people here would sail by sometime
                and let me have any comments on the work so far.

                If I could ask you to the read the 'About the Guide' page first that would
                be really helpful.

                Beacause it isn't 'ready to go' yet, I'd be grateful too if the URL wasn't
                spread around too much.

                http://members.aol.com/callumjames999/Delany/home.html

                thanks folks

                Callum James
                Message 7 of 7 , May 30, 2005
                  I see what you mean about it being "unfinished," but it's an interesting
                  site, and I like the format and the way you're going about it. There are
                  places where you haven't included details that I would have, but you're the
                  one doing the work so I have nothign to say!

                  Thanks for the pointer to it, I like it.

                  --Dan'l