Re: [delany-list] Editions of Hogg

  • richard racheter
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 27, 2005
      Hi Jason (and any others who are interested) Now, I hope I am not telling something that you all know -- I tend to preach sometimes -- being a retired school teacher. I purchase ALL my books off the Internet using Bookfinder.com. This is a huge worldwide bookseller that includes Abebooks.com and Albris.com. However, it can be a LITTLE difficult to use at times, so I often just go to Abebooks (my favorite) or Albris. The decision is up to the searcher. I just went to Bookfinder (PLEASE NOTE: NOT Bookfinders -- if you use the "s" it will not come up) and typed in Samuel Delany and Hogg. Another hint (hope I am not preaching) do NOT use the "R" in Delany's name. Many booksellers leave it out and these will not appear on the lists.

      Bookfinder will give two lists -- new and used. For Hogg, the prices are nearly the same because (1) it is in demand or (2) it has not been published long enough to have many used copies. Run down the list until you find the publisher you want. Unfortunately, prices for the Black Ice edition are high -- the first one listed is about $40.00. Other editions start at about $11.00. As you say, the Black Ice probably contains material not found in other editions.

      Again, I often go to Bookfinder first and THEN go to Abebooks. Somehow the lists do not always duplicate themselves. Another caution: read the location of the seller. They can be worldwide. Once I excitedly ordered a book too quickly and discovered it was located in Australia -- an expensive shipping cost.

      Am now going to Abebooks and see what they have. Final note: if you have the ISBN number you can type that in also and go directly to the exact edition you want. Hope this helps. Sincerely, Richard.