A Silly Question?

  • frost3fairy
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 30, 2004
      Hello, I am a new member -- oh, well, "new-ish" -- and have become
      fascinated with Delany's work. However, ONE SIMPLE question -- just
      to settle my mind. Who is K. Leslie Steiner? Have a feeling this
      person is a black woman who is interested in languages, BUT .....???
      Am rather suspicious! Please let me into the "mystery." Sincerely,
      Richard
    • Ron Henry
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
        On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 22:41:41 -0000, frost3fairy
        <homer.laughlin@...> wrote:

        > Hello, I am a new member -- oh, well, "new-ish" -- and have become
        > fascinated with Delany's work. However, ONE SIMPLE question -- just
        > to settle my mind. Who is K. Leslie Steiner? Have a feeling this
        > person is a black woman who is interested in languages, BUT .....???
        > Am rather suspicious! Please let me into the "mystery."

        As they say, there really are no silly questions. The short answer is
        that it's an alter-ego Delany invented to talk about his own work.
        That he added such a wonderful character and backstory to the
        pseudonym only adds to the metafictional fun. :)

        --
        Ron Henry
        AUGHT #14 now out
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
          So who else has read the newly-released Phallos!? I read it this
          weekend, and found it lots of fun to read. The essay discussing an
          absent (and nonexistent) novel about the hunt for an absent (and
          probably nonexistent) jewel-encrusted phallus ritually(?) removed(?)
          from the statue of a nameless god responsible for unspeakable
          rituals--well it was more sheer FUN and joy than I've had reading
          Delany in a long time. The outlined but undetailed description of the
          exceptionally rich and varied sex life of the characters (it is, at
          least, exceptionally rich and varied for fictional characters--though
          not necessarily so compared with the sex lives of real people) is
          also lots of fun, with enough hooks for fantasy, though clearly not
          enough for direct tittilation.

          Overall, the book explores some pretty heady ideas in a very simple
          way, and never feels forced or hard to understand.

          May we all learn the secrets of the phallos and how to obtain and
          retain its power for ourselves!
        • mj
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
            Leslie is also sometimes a man's name, by the way: e.g., Leslie Nielson...
            MJ

            <homer.laughlin@...> wrote:

            > Hello, I am a new member -- oh, well, "new-ish" -- and have become
            > fascinated with Delany's work. However, ONE SIMPLE question -- just
            > to settle my mind. Who is K. Leslie Steiner? Have a feeling this
            > person is a black woman who is interested in languages, BUT .....???
            > Am rather suspicious! Please let me into the "mystery."

            As they say, there really are no silly questions. The short answer is
            that it's an alter-ego Delany invented to talk about his own work.
            That he added such a wonderful character and backstory to the
            pseudonym only adds to the metafictional fun. :)

          • Henrick Pålsson
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
              Hi

              I didnt find this book on amazon so were can I buy
              Phallos? I love his books. Now I reads "Hogg".

              Cheers!
              Henrick

              --- Steve M <lists@...> skrev:

              ---------------------------------
[...]

              == Posted to delany-list, hosted at
              onelist^Wegroups^Wyahoo ==
              == A mailing list for the discussion of the works of
              Samuel R. Delany. ==

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

              Terms of Service.

              =====
              http://www.zoroastrism.com - Den Goda Religionen (swe)

              http://www.bokkultur.net (Din boksida på nätet) hbt-litteratur,sf och beat(swe)
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 2, 2004
                > > Hello, I am a new member -- oh, well, "new-ish" -- and have become
                > > fascinated with Delany's work. However, ONE SIMPLE question -- just
                > > to settle my mind. Who is K. Leslie Steiner? Have a feeling this
                > > person is a black woman who is interested in languages, BUT .....???
                > > Am rather suspicious! Please let me into the "mystery."

                >As they say, there really are no silly questions. The short answer is
                >that it's an alter-ego Delany invented to talk about his own work.
                >That he added such a wonderful character and backstory to the
                >pseudonym only adds to the metafictional fun. :)

                Also, she is the pupil of S.L. Kermit, who has also written a bit here
                and there - in appendices and such to Neveryon books, I believe -
                and is (of course) also Delany. I suspect that there is for Delany a
                significance to the KLS/SLK initials.

                --Dan'l
              • Ron Henry
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 3, 2004
                  On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 23:17:56 +0100 (CET), Henrick Pålsson
                  <spentomad@...> wrote:

                  > I didnt find this book on amazon so were can I buy
                  > Phallos? I love his books. Now I reads "Hogg".

                  Small Press Distribution (located in California), which specializes in
                  independent publishers, carries it here:
                  <http://www.spdbooks.org/Details.asp?BookID=0917453417>

                  Not sure which part of Amazon you looked through, but Amazon US also
                  has it, here, though from the delivery time (1-3 weeks) it looks like
                  they don't stock it regularly:
                  <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0917453417>

                  Good luck --
                  Ron

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 3, 2004
                    At 1:57 PM -0800 12/1/04, mj wrote:
                    >Leslie is also sometimes a man's name, by the way: e.g., Leslie Nielson...
                    >MJ

                    Not in this case. In one of those Neveryon appendices, S.L. Kermit
                    offers a brief physical description of her.
                  • mj
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 3, 2004
                      Haven't got there yet! I'm trying to read his novels in order (well, after first having read Dhalgren, Aye & Gommorah, MOLOW and some of Silent Interviews). I'm stuck because I haven't yet found Nova used (which is pretty much my other criterion) so the Neveryon books are still sitting sadly on my shelf. MJ

                      Steve M <lists@...> wrote:
                      At 1:57 PM -0800 12/1/04, mj wrote:
                      >Leslie is also sometimes a man's name, by the way: e.g., Leslie Nielson...
                      >MJ

                      Not in this case. In one of those Neveryon appendices, S.L. Kermit
                      offers a brief physical description of her.

                    • Robert Elkin
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 3, 2004
                        "K. Leslie Steiner" is a fictional female voice from
                        which Delany both writes and manufactures parts of his
                        fictions (I'm thinking here of the Neveryon
                        series--see the various intros/afterwords to the
                        Wesleyan UP editions of the four volumes for more).
                        RTE

                        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail