a short note

  • RicBest@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 8, 2004
      Hello All,
      Just wanted to drop a note to let you know that Phallos has been released and
      is available at http://www.spdbooks.org/
      Also , anyone know a release date for About Writing?
      Thanks Ric

    • Henrick Pålsson
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 8, 2004
        Thanks for the tip. I am new fan of Delanys works.
        Right now I reading Dhalgren which so far is very
        good.

        Henrick

        --- RicBest@... skrev:

        ---------------------------------
        Hello All,
        Just wanted to drop a note to let you know that
        Phallos has been released and
        is available at http://www.spdbooks.org/
        Also , anyone know a release date for About Writing?
        Thanks Ric

        == Posted to delany-list, hosted at
        onelist^Wegroups^Wyahoo ==
        == A mailing list for the discussion of the works of
        Samuel R. Delany. ==

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Terms of Service.

        =====
      • zvi@vex.net
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 8, 2004
          Thanks, Ric. It seems that there's a fair amount of Delaniana happening
          under the radar, as it were.

          No information about 'About Writing', though. How exciting!

          First, his Temple home page has been updated:
          http://www.temple.edu/creativewriting/faculty/FacultySamDelanyProfile.asp

          Here's an interview I haven't seen before:
          http://www.blackbird.vcu.edu/v2n2/features/delaney_s_030104/delaney_s_text.htm

          Motion of Light in Water reissued (anyone seen this? Is this the same text
          as the Richard Kazak books version?)

          Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand re-print
          http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0819567140/qid=1099952652

          Thanks!

          --Zvi
          zvi@...

          > Hello All,
          > Just wanted to drop a note to let you know that Phallos has been released
          > and
          > is available at http://www.spdbooks.org/
          > Also , anyone know a release date for About Writing?
          > Thanks Ric
        • Marcelo Ojeda
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 8, 2004
            hello Hernick:
            --- Henrick Pålsson <spentomad@...> escribió:

            ---------------------------------
            >Thanks for the tip. I am new fan of Delanys works.
            >Right now I reading Dhalgren which so far is very
            >good.

            Dhalgren gets better and better as you read it!

            =====
            The further we go
            And older we grow
            The more we know
            The less we show ...
            (Robert Smith/The Cure)

            Marcelo Ojeda "Kuroi"

            ___________________________________
            ¡Llevate a Yahoo! en tu Unifón!
            Ahora podés usar Yahoo! Messenger en tu Unifón, en cualquier momento y lugar.
            Encontrá más información en: http://ar.mobile.yahoo.com/sms.html
          • David Carlton
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 9, 2004
              On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 13:36:59 EST, RicBest@... said:

              > Just wanted to drop a note to let you know that Phallos has been released and
              > is available at http://www.spdbooks.org/

              Cool! Has anybody actually seen a copy of this, though? I'm not sure
              I believe the Jan 1 2004 release date, and Amazon doesn't list it.
              And the publisher doesn't have a web site. (Ah, they seem to be the
              people who reprinted _Heavenly Breakfast_ a few years ago.) The front
              cover looks real, though.

              > Also , anyone know a release date for About Writing?

              I haven't heard of that - what is it?

              David Carlton
              carlton@...
            • Peter Fogarty
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 10, 2004
                At 10:32 p.m. 9/11/2004 +0000, Guy_Fawkes99 wrote:

                >PS If anyone wants a long interview I did with Delany about Hogg, let
                >me know.

                Do send it through to the list. I would love to read it.

                Best,
                Peter
              • David Carlton
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 11, 2004
                  On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 17:28:40 -0500 (EST), zvi@... said:

                  > Motion of Light in Water reissued (anyone seen this? Is this the same text
                  > as the Richard Kazak books version?)

                  I saw it in a bookstore today, and it said something like "this
                  revised edition was first published by Richard Kazak books in 199x".

                  David Carlton
                  carlton@...
                • kmisho64@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 11, 2004
                    In a message dated 11/10/04 3:21:17 PM, oga@... writes:

                    > At 10:32 p.m. 9/11/2004 +0000, Guy_Fawkes99 wrote:
                    >

                    > >PS If anyone wants a long interview I did with Delany about Hogg, let
                    > >me know.
                    >

                    > Do send it through to the list.  I would love to read it.
                    >
                    > Best,
                    > Peter
                    >

                    > please DO send the interview to the list. I don't care how long it is!

                  • vpoleganov
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 12, 2004
                      > I saw it in a bookstore today, and it said something like "this
                      > revised edition was first published by Richard Kazak books in 199x".
                      >
                      > David Carlton
                      > carlton@b...

                      Does this mean that the Kazak edition is the one to have? I've got a
                      Plume copy and it's 'only' 300 pages while the new edition is more
                      than 400... Is it just a matter of print or of added and revised text
                      portions?
                    • David Carlton
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 12, 2004
                        On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:15:01 -0000, "vpoleganov" <vpoleganov@...> said:

                        >> I saw it in a bookstore today, and it said something like "this
                        >> revised edition was first published by Richard Kazak books in 199x".

                        > Does this mean that the Kazak edition is the one to have? I've got a
                        > Plume copy and it's 'only' 300 pages while the new edition is more
                        > than 400... Is it just a matter of print or of added and revised text
                        > portions?

                        My understanding is that there are significant differences between the
                        Kazak edition (and the recent U. Minn. Press edition) as compared to
                        earlier editions, yes.

                        David Carlton
                        carlton@...
                      • vpoleganov
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 13, 2004
                          Thanks!
                          > My understanding is that there are significant differences between the
                          > Kazak edition (and the recent U. Minn. Press edition) as compared to
                          > earlier editions, yes.
                          >
                          > David Carlton
                          > carlton@b...
                        • Steve M
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 13, 2004
                            At 11:42 AM +0000 11/13/04, vpoleganov wrote:
                            >Thanks!
                            >> My understanding is that there are significant differences between the
                            >> Kazak edition (and the recent U. Minn. Press edition) as compared to
                            >> earlier editions, yes.
                            >>
                            >> David Carlton
                            >> carlton@b...

                            Yes, I've read both. There is about 30% more content in the newer
                            editions, if I recall correctly--quite a bit, anyway.
                          • Jay Lake
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 13, 2004
                              Just picked up a first edition hardcover of DRIFTGLASS for $5 in a used
                              book store. Good condition, possibly very good, appears unread, cover
                              slightly foxed. Does anyone know if this has value beyond the 'cool
                              factor' to me?

                              Jay

                              -- news --
                              I am the 2004 Campbell Award winner

                              -- fiction --
                              Books: American Sorrows, Dogs in the Moonlight, Greetings From Lake Wu
                              Shorts: Asimov's, Interzone, Postscripts, Realms of Fantasy, TTA
                              Editing: All-Star Zeppelin Adventure Stories, Polyphony 4, TEL : Stories

                              -- contact --
                              www.jlake.com | 503.806.3626 | jlake@... | jelakejr [AOL-IM]
                              http://www.livejournal.com/users/jaylake/
                            • zvi@vex.net
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 13, 2004
                                Hi Jay,

                                If you have the Science Fiction Book Club edition, it's probably not worth
                                very much. I'm looking at the publishing history of Driftglass here in my
                                copy of Samuel R. Delany, A Primary and Secondary Bibliography, 1962-1979,
                                and it's not clear whether there was a non-SFBC edition.

                                A quick search on ABEBooks.com for 'Driftglass' + 'Doubleday' reveals 47
                                copies ranging in price from 1.99 to 50.00. That last one says 'BOOKCLUB
                                EDITION WHICH IS THE FIRST HARDCOVER EDITION. New York: Doubleday,(1971).
                                8vo,cloth. Fine copy in very good dust jacket.'...

                                I dunno, in spite of the craze for modern first editions, sounds like it
                                would be hard to justify 50 bucks. The second most expensive one, at 40
                                bucks, is at least signed!

                                HTH,

                                --Zvi

                                > Just picked up a first edition hardcover of DRIFTGLASS for $5 in a used
                                > book store. Good condition, possibly very good, appears unread, cover
                                > slightly foxed. Does anyone know if this has value beyond the 'cool
                              • Callum James
                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 14, 2004
                                  Jay,

                                  Its a curious thing this first edition thing with SF, particularly for
                                  writers like SRD whose early output was published in the US in the 60s and
                                  early 70s. Because of publishers like Ace and the supremacy of the pulp
                                  paperback often the 'true first edition' is paperback. Of course, this
                                  doesn't stop some dealers trying to price hardback editions, which often
                                  came out years afterwards, as if they were true firsts but I would certainly
                                  agree that $50 is ambitious, to say the least on the part of the dealer.

                                  And as for the signed copy at $40, well SRD's signature is not rare and if
                                  you are looking for signed books its always worth noting that SRD normally
                                  writes the place and year under his signature. IMHO its always worth
                                  checking the publication year of the book against the signature date cos I
                                  would much rather have a book signed at the time of publication than a book
                                  which a fan (or canny book dealer!) has taken along to a convention for
                                  signing fifteen years later - but that's just a personal quirk.

                                  Having said that, the really nice thing about it for the collector is that
                                  'true firsts' are not particularly expensive and books with real 'cool
                                  factor' for the enthusiast don't have to cost a fortune. Also, if your copy
                                  is a Science Fiction Book Club edition then it would be worth hanging onto
                                  anyway because I have a hunch that in twenty years time SFBC books will be
                                  collectable in their own right - a bit like Ace Paperbacks are becoming now.

                                  As far as I can tell the 'true first' of Driftglass was the 1971 Signet
                                  paperback edition.

                                  Keep well

                                  Callum

                                  http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger