On The Mad Man

  • David Cozy
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2004
      I lent a 79 year old friend of mine The Mad Man. He recalled seeing,
      years ago, pieces of it in a gay magazine and was eager to read more.

      He writes:

      Many thanks for the loan of the book. Wow. Inexorable. Reading it,
      turd in hand, I kept thinking of Sade and his need for overkill and
      there, right on the page, was the author talking about Sodom, the
      book his was most reminding me of. I now think the book is more
      about politics than sex.

      In returning with thanks I include something more modest but equally
      upsetting, Henry James's "The Jolly Corner."

      I haven't actually read The Mad Man yet myself. I will, turd in
      hand, have to get to it soon.

      Best,
      --
      David Cozy
      mailto:dcozy@...

    • Pete Lenz
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2004
        That is interesting, David. I was just thinking about The Mad Man a
        few moments ago. I had read The Mad Man last summer, I found it to
        be a delightful book. Yes, there are some rather hardcore sections
        to it, but it is a wonderful display of mystery and affection at
        many points. I came away from reading it with a feeling of love and
        its core, it was an oddly touching book. Let us know what you feel,
        turd in hand, when you read it!

        Best,

        Pete
      • Ron Henry
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 7, 2004
          David Cozy wrote:

          >I haven't actually read The Mad Man yet myself. I will, turd in
          >hand, have to get to it soon.

          Relatedly, while on vacation in San Diego a couple months ago, I bought a very nice hardcover signed first edition of The Mad Man. Actually, it's doubly signed, since it was also inscribed by Mia Wolff (sp?, sorry) the artist who did the illustration on the hc title page.

          I don't have that many collectables, since I've traditionally gone for quantity over quality in book buys, but I'm very happy to have gotten this volume. (I have a couple other Delany signed first editions, notably a Dragon Press ed. of Starboard Wine.)

          The people working there reminisced about how nice Delany was when they met him at the last sf con in SD (which I presume is when he signed some books for them).

          Anyhow, the bookstore was Wahrenbrock Books, on Broadway near 7th Ave (for those who know San Diego). A great and great big musty old bookstore with an excellent sf section (and several floors of other stuff as well). I heartily recommend the bookstore if you're in town. It's a walkable distance north from the harborfront convention center and hotels (and the new baseball stadium), basically the very north end of what they call the Gas Lamp district toward the park.

          Ron Henry
        • Anna Yudovin
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 7, 2004
            This is a totally random post, since I haven't read and don't yet own the book (actually, a friend of mine offered to buy me a Delany book for a favor I did her, and after hesitating between 1984 and The Mad Man I finally had to flip a coin -- and so I'm waiting for 1984 to arrive in the mail).
            But your mention of a musty old book store almost got me teary eyed -- I suddenly remembered what a wonderful smell they have sometimes. I used to frequent this one back in Minsk that was close to my school, I must have been 14 or 15 and I was looking for a Saint-Exupery biography -- the only one published in Russia. I remember just coming in and enjoying the smell, and when I finally got the book it was yellow and too light for its size and had that same wonderful old paper smell. I miss it. I guess that's the price of shopping for books online.

            Ron Henry <ronhenry@...> wrote:
            David Cozy wrote:

            >I haven't actually read The Mad Man yet myself. I will, turd in
            >hand, have to get to it soon.

            Relatedly, while on vacation in San Diego a couple months ago, I bought a very nice hardcover signed first edition of The Mad Man. Actually, it's doubly signed, since it was also inscribed by Mia Wolff (sp?, sorry) the artist who did the illustration on the hc title page.

            I don't have that many collectables, since I've traditionally gone for quantity over quality in book buys, but I'm very happy to have gotten this volume. (I have a couple other Delany signed first editions, notably a Dragon Press ed. of Starboard Wine.)

            The people working there reminisced about how nice Delany was when they met him at the last sf con in SD (which I presume is when he signed some books for them).

            Anyhow, the bookstore was Wahrenbrock Books, on Broadway near 7th Ave (for those who know San Diego). A great and great big musty old bookstore with an excellent sf section (and several floors of other stuff as well). I heartily recommend the bookstore if you're in town. It's a walkable distance north from the harborfront convention center and hotels (and the new baseball stadium), basically the very north end of what they call the Gas Lamp district toward the park.

            Ron Henry

            == Posted to delany-list, hosted at onelist^Wegroups^Wyahoo ==
            == A mailing list for the discussion of the works of Samuel R. Delany. ==

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT