from the 'Voice': reading, quotation

  • zvi@vex.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5 3:35 PM
      Previous and upcoming Delanyana:

      I learn this from the Village Voice online
      (http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0036/read.shtml)
      Delany is reading in New York this fall.

      Given the advance notice, I may even be able to go! :)

      ===
      SAMUEL DELANY
      November 16
      The New School, 66 West 12th Street, 229-5600

      A fabulist and habitué of sex theaters, Delany, the author of Times Square
      Red, Times Square Blue, at least three memoirs, and 20 works of fiction,
      talks about imagining the future.
      ===

      Pretty bland topic. I wonder what he'll come up with!

      From a while back (the February VLS [Voice Literary Supplement]), there's
      an actual paragraph quote
      (http://www.villagevoice.com/vls/166/interviews.shtml):

      ===
      Samuel R. Delany, author of Times Square Red, Times Square Blue

      With the black magic realism of Thomas Disch, the philosophical allegories
      of James Morrow, and the alternate historical explorations of John
      Crowley, fiction is certainly imaginative enough. What we lack is a
      critical apparatus that is willing to respond to it. The fact is,
      criticism has to be at least as imaginative as fiction. If it isn't, then
      both writers and audience are left on the parched plateau of art that is
      pure reproduction.

      In the precincts of fiction, the saddest thing I've recently heard was a
      panel of young published writers, who, when the question of
      experimentation came up, all declared, "No experimentation. Experimental
      writing is bad writing." And, what's more, the audience applauded.
      ===

      --Zvi
      zvi@...