Stars/Sand roman a clef

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2004
      Hello all,

      As all three of my lists have decomposed into screeching
      matches between one guy whose boxers are too tight and the
      world, I'll ask about my favorite SRD novel.

      In Stars in My Pockets Like Grains of Sand, Rat's three-minute
      literary foray is not only a statement on the biased nature of
      canons and the uncertainty of certain knowledge (the theme of
      the novel), but also a joke. Now, I wondered the fifth or tenth time
      through, is it also a veiled reference to some other works in
      Delany's world?
      The page refs are to the red Bantam edition. On p 56, he reads a
      huge, desertlike novel in which a poet is a secondary hero. Isn't
      this Stars/Sand itself, with Vondramach Okk as the hero?
      Is the 750,000 word experimental novel on p 47 Dhalgren? Isn't
      that a fair _description_ of Dhalgren? There are other
      references to things that might be Fall of the Towers and
      Delany's critical work...what do people think? Given SRD's
      fondness for inserting himself (sexually and otherwise) into his
      own work as Muels Aralynde and other noms de merde, isn't this
      (at least possibly) another such? And is the woman–poets
      theme of the reading yet *another* homage to Marilyn Hacker?
      Does Iva Hacker-Delany inform the figure of Small Maxa (I had
      never thought of that till I wrote this email)??? or Alyx Thant? or
      both kids?
      All comments are welcome.
      Please, this is also to get us off the yelling match.

      Jim
    • de koninck
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2004
        --- Jim <jcomer2001@...> wrote:
        = own work as Muels Aralynde and other noms de merde, isn't this

        Oh, I feel so pathetic that I haven't noticed this anagram before.

        http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
      • Nalo Hopkinson
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2004
          At 12:05 PM 2/1/2004 -0800, you wrote:

          >--- Jim <jcomer2001@...> wrote:
          >= own work as Muels Aralynde and other noms de merde, isn't this
          >
          >Oh, I feel so pathetic that I haven't noticed this anagram before.

          NH: Hell, I once asked Delany where it had come from, and had to feel
          pathetic as he explained. Dang.

          -nalo

          url: http://www.sff.net/people/nalo/
          ng: news://news.sff.net/sff.people.nalo/
          journal: http://www.sff.net/people/nalo/writing/naloblogger.html
          -Collection SKIN FOLK winner of the Sunburst Award for Canadian fiction of
          the fantastic
          -Novel THE SALT ROADS, Warner Books, November 2003
        • rdumain
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2004
            I took the occasion to give a scrute to Ms. Hopkinson's blog, and
            followed a link to the essay: "Brown Girl in the Ring and White
            Witches on TV (and how magic is just too racy)" by Ashok Mathur. I
            have not yet read any of Ms. Hopkinson's novels so I will not comment
            on them, but I do have a few words to say about this essay, which is
            both clever and unintelligent in the contemporary English Dept.
            manner.

            (1) The (non)whiteness of Jeannie and Samantha in those '60s sitcoms:
            the author neglects to point out that in reality no one was white
            enough for these squeaky-clean suburbanite sitcoms, which presented
            an ideal which few people were living. That sitcom world was also a
            world without serious problems, divorce, white ethnics even ... i.e.
            everything outside of the ideal suburbanite WASP mythical universe.
            So I suppose in that scenario everything "exotic" is non-white.
            Mathur's observations are clever, but his framework does not go very
            deep. I grew up in a multi-ethnic blue collar Rust Belt city, and
            for me those sitcoms I watched on TV were science fiction--completely
            outside of my frame of reference--and that goes for every black,
            Puerto Rican, Jewish, Irish, German, Italian, Polish kid I ever met.

            (2) Mathur's remarks about the blurbs and characterizations of West
            Indian folklore and the nature of Ms. Hopkinson's fiction--the way it
            is pigeonholed--are interesting; to be sure, something to think
            about. But . . .

            (3) His final assertion that the embrace of grandma's folk traditions
            represents some successful personal integration and ethnic/racial
            assertion is really a piece of contemptible stupidity, a typical
            specimen of postmodern multiculti lit prof bullshit. The liberation
            from superstition and repressive tradition is the very hallmark of
            the modernist perspective, embraced by some black writers, most
            outstandingly Richard Wright, who has never been forgiven for it and
            is continually slandered for it now--only by black intellectuals,
            tellingly. Countering one ignorant mythology with another frees no-
            one. What a shame the sorry lessons of Ishmael Reed's neo-hoodoo
            drivel have not been learned.

            --- In delany-list@yahoogroups.com, Nalo Hopkinson <nalo@w...> wrote:
            > At 12:05 PM 2/1/2004 -0800, you wrote:
            >
            > >--- Jim <jcomer2001@y...> wrote:
            > >= own work as Muels Aralynde and other noms de merde, isn't this
            > >
            > >Oh, I feel so pathetic that I haven't noticed this anagram before.
            >
            > NH: Hell, I once asked Delany where it had come from, and had to
            feel
            > pathetic as he explained. Dang.
            >
            > -nalo
            >
            > url: http://www.sff.net/people/nalo/
            > ng: news://news.sff.net/sff.people.nalo/
            > journal: http://www.sff.net/people/nalo/writing/naloblogger.html
            > -Collection SKIN FOLK winner of the Sunburst Award for Canadian
            fiction of
            > the fantastic
            > -Novel THE SALT ROADS, Warner Books, November 2003
          • Steve M
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 3, 2004
              At 10:13 PM +0000 1/31/04, Jim wrote:
              >On p 56, he reads a
              >huge, desertlike novel in which a poet is a secondary hero. Isn't
              >this Stars/Sand itself, with Vondramach Okk as the hero?
              >Is the 750,000 word experimental novel on p 47 Dhalgren? Isn't
              >that a fair _description_ of Dhalgren?

              I haven't gone back to the text, but I remeber on previous readings
              thinking that one of these books was "Voyage Orestes!" -- Delany's
              lost novel.