Re: [delany-list] Lots of original stuff

  • k yoss
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 29, 2003
      I'm sorry for your loss but excited by your gain.
      Anyone interested in Delany's writing in the least bit
      is interested in this material. Please just let me
      know. Sometimes the world saves powerful material by
      luck and happenstance.

      --- dma1965 <dma1965@...> wrote:
      > Hey all. I must admit not knowing much about Delany
      > or his former wife Marilyn Hacker, but my cousin
      > just passed away and apparently he lived with Delany
      > and Hacker for many years, because I have hundreds
      > of letters from Marilyn to my cousin, as well as a
      > mineograph of a movie script by Delany entitled "The
      > Science Fiction Film In The Twentieth Century" by
      > Samuel R. Delany, Shooting Script and Breakdown. It
      > is really a lot of stuff to go through, but someone
      > contact may if you are interested in it.
      >
      > I also managed to gather some pieces and put them
      > together, and it appears to be Samuel Delany's
      > ordination certificate to the Universal Life Church.
      > Torn, but all the pieces are there.

      http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
    • D. Mike Ahmadi
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 29, 2003
        I actually pulled it out of my trash, in a big plastic bag. I would love to
        sell it all to a collector, and I do NOT intend to make a fortune on it,
        since it is just luck. So, if you or anyone wants to make me an offer for
        all or part of it, let me know, and I will send it to you. I am an avid
        seller on ebay, and my name there is dma 1965 at hotmail dot com (put it
        together, I am trying to avoid spam bots), and I have a stellar seller's
        reputation. I was going to put it on auction, but felt it was better to
        find a true fan club.

        Mike

        http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/DtIolB/TM
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 29, 2003
          Hello D. Mike,

          It seems to me that the best candidate for the Delany material --
          including the script you mentioned -- would be university archives of
          material about Delany (and/or Hacker). I know there is one, but I can't
          for the life of me recall where it is, and a Google search turns up not
          much. Can someone from the list shed some light? I think it would be an
          excellent place for you to start. I have absolutely no idea what kind of
          price they would put on it -- if at all -- or tax receipts or anything
          like that. Or would SRD himself be interested?

          With regard to the letters from Hacker to your cousin... I don't know what
          the protocol is in these cases, but might they be offered directly to
          Marilyn Hacker? She can be contacted via the City College of New York,
          where she is a professor:
          http://www.ccny.cuny.edu/english/english_office/marilyn_hacker.htm

          (the email address makes me laugh -- are there still compuserve addresses?
          -- but there's a phone number)

          Thanks for sharing this stuff with us, D. Mike. Good for you for rescuing
          them, and I hope they'll fine a good home soon!