[delany-list] Contents of _Driftglass/Starshards_

  • Snorre Svendsen
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 3 6:23 AM
      >I do know somebody who has a copy of _Driftglass/Starshards_, so I
      >could find the answer to the question myself, but if somebody else
      >happens to have the answer at their fingertips, please chime in.

      Hi,

      Thanks for the occasion to de-lurk.

      The contents of my Grafton 1993 paperback edition:
      ---
      "Of Doubts and Dreams: An Introduction"
      [Part I]
      "The Star Pit"
      "Corona"
      "Aye, and Gomorrah..."
      "Driftglass"
      "We, in Some Strange Power's Employ, Move on a Rigorous Line"
      "Cage of Brass"
      "High Weir"
      "Time Considered as a Helix of Semi-Precious Stones"
      "Omegahelm"
      [Part II]
      "Prismatica"
      "Ruins"
      "Dog in a Fisherman's Net"
      "Night and the Loves of Joe Dicostanzo"
      [Part III]
      "Among the Blobs"
      "_Citre_et_Trans_"
      [Appendix]
      "Erik, Gwen, and D.H. Lawrence's Esthetic of Unrectified Feeling"
      ---

      Btw, what is a "citre"?

      Regards,
      Snorre
      --
      Snorre Svendsen <Snorre Svendsen@...>
    • zvi@vex.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 4 8:11 AM
        Grafton is a UK publishing house, right? I guess that's why I've never
        seen a copy of this volume (I'm in Canada). Almost all of these stories
        are available in American/Canadian collections of Delany that shouldn't be
        too hard to find (_Driftglass_, _Distant Stars_, and _Atlantis: Model
        1924_). Tagged below.

        _Driftglass_ and all the [additional] stories from _Distant Stars_, EXCEPT
        the short novel _Empire Star_; and also contains three stories, two of
        which can be found in _Atlantis: Model 1924_, one of which isn't collected
        in a volume with Delany's name on the front ("Among the Blobs").

        (Of course you could look most of this up at
        http://www.sfsite.com/isfdb-bin/exact_author.cgi?Samuel_R._Delany
        but just in case anyone is interested in what is where...)

        > > _Driftglass/Starshards_
        > The contents of my Grafton 1993 paperback edition:
        > ---
        > "Of Doubts and Dreams: An Introduction"

        _Distant Stars_ [I wonder if it was edited for the Grafton edition --
        Delany always seems to fiddle with his nonfiction.]

        > [Part I]
        > "The Star Pit"

        _Driftglass_

        > "Corona"

        _Driftglass_ AND _Distant Stars_

        > "Aye, and Gomorrah..."
        > "Driftglass"

        _Driftglass_

        > "We, in Some Strange Power's Employ, Move on a Rigorous Line"

        _Driftglass_ AND _Distant Stars_

        > "Cage of Brass"
        > "High Weir"

        _Driftglass_

        > "Time Considered as a Helix of Semi-Precious Stones"

        _Driftglass_ AND _Distant Stars_

        > "Omegahelm"

        _Distant Stars_

        > [Part II]
        > "Prismatica"
        > "Ruins"

        _Distant Stars_

        > "Dog in a Fisherman's Net"
        > "Night and the Loves of Joe Dicostanzo"

        _Driftglass_

        > [Part III]
        > "Among the Blobs"

        I don't think this one is in any other collection of Delany's stories; I
        have a copy from one of the Larry McCaffery-edited collections (which one?
        I can't recall off the top of my head; I don't think it's 'Avant Pop';
        could it be 'storming the reality studio'? The sf database doesn't even
        list this story.)

        > "_Citre_et_Trans_"
        > "Erik, Gwen, and D.H. Lawrence's Esthetic of Unrectified Feeling"

        _Atlantis: Three Tales_

        [The third Atlantis tale, by the way, is the novella "Atlantis: Model
        1924".]

        Ah, literary sleuthing.

        --Zvi
        zvi@...
      • david carlton
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 10 11:18 AM
          On Tue, 4 Jul 2000 11:11:47 -0400 (EDT), zvi@... said:

          > _Driftglass_ and all the [additional] stories from _Distant Stars_, EXCEPT
          > the short novel _Empire Star_; and also contains three stories, two of
          > which can be found in _Atlantis: Model 1924_, one of which isn't collected
          > in a volume with Delany's name on the front ("Among the Blobs").

          Thanks for the info, from you and other people. I guess I'll have to
          borrow my friend's copy of _D/S_ to get a look at "Among the Blobs".

          > (Of course you could look most of this up at
          > http://www.sfsite.com/isfdb-bin/exact_author.cgi?Samuel_R._Delany
          > but just in case anyone is interested in what is where...)

          I wish the ISFDB would allow user submissions of data, because I'd be
          happy to type in the contents of _D/S_ and of _Shorter Views_ there.
          They used to allow user submissions; I wonder why they stopped? I
          sent them e-mail about this a week or so ago, but I haven't gotten a
          response.

          david carlton | <http://math.stanford.edu/~carlton/>
          carlton@... | Go books: <http://math.stanford.edu/~carlton/go/>

          I have accepted Provolone into my life!
        • david carlton
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 19 3:08 PM
            On Tue, 4 Jul 2000 11:11:47 -0400 (EDT), zvi@... said:

            >> [Part III]
            >> "Among the Blobs"

            > I don't think this one is in any other collection of Delany's
            > stories; I have a copy from one of the Larry McCaffery-edited
            > collections (which one? I can't recall off the top of my head; I
            > don't think it's 'Avant Pop'; could it be 'storming the reality
            > studio'? The sf database doesn't even list this story.)

            A friend of mine has verified that "Among the Blobs" is indeed in
            _Storming the Reality Studio_.

            Also, some Delany reprint rumors: Wesleyan would like to reprint _The
            American Shore_, but Disch is blocking it; Vintage would like to
            reprint an _Empire Star/Babel-17_ omnibus, _Nova_, _Dhalgren_, and a
            collected stories, but Wesleyan doesn't want to give up the rights to
            _Dhalgren_. I have no idea how much truth is behind these, but they
            both sound plausible.

            david carlton | <http://math.stanford.edu/~carlton/>
            carlton@... | Go books: <http://math.stanford.edu/~carlton/go/>

            Hey, wait a minute!! I want a divorce!!.. you're not Clint
            Eastwood!!
          • David Cozy
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 19 5:05 PM
              David Carlton writes:

              >Also, some Delany reprint rumors: Wesleyan would like to reprint _The
              >American Shore_, but Disch is blocking it . . .

              This doesn't sound very plausible to me. On what ground could Disch block
              it? Unless the book is in some way libelious (I haven't read it) I can't
              imagine any.

              The only possibility I can see--and this is the purest, most groundless
              speculation--is that Disch asked Delany, as a favor, not to republish it,
              and Delany, as a friend, agreed.

              I remain,

              Not a Lawyer,

              David Cozy
              mailto:cozy@...-net.ne.jp
            • david carlton
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 20 10:41 AM
                On Thu, 20 Jul 2000 09:05:12 +0900, David Cozy <cozy@...-NET.NE.JP> said:
                > David Carlton writes:

                >> Also, some Delany reprint rumors: Wesleyan would like to reprint
                >> _The American Shore_, but Disch is blocking it . . .

                > This doesn't sound very plausible to me. On what ground could Disch
                > block it? Unless the book is in some way libelious (I haven't read
                > it) I can't imagine any.

                The book is a commentary on a short story by Disch; not only does it
                reprint the short story in question but, I believe (I'll try to check
                when I get home), the commentary may well contain every single word of
                the short story as well. It takes the story and divides it up into a
                couple of hundred chunks, which it analyzes; so the commentary has to
                reprint those chunks, too, which make up all of the story.

                So I don't think there's any way to reprint even the commentary
                without Disch's permission, and obviously they can't reprint the story
                without his permission either.

                david carlton | <http://math.stanford.edu/~carlton/>
                carlton@... | Go books: <http://math.stanford.edu/~carlton/go/>

                Did we bring enough BEEF JERKY?