the word "run"

  • tricky_nut
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 5, 2003
      Hello everybody!

      To be short: Does anyone know if "run" (the places where "women" go
      to have sex in _Stars in My Pocket_) has a special meaning in
      American gay slang?

      Cheers,
      Tricky from Finland
    • Steve M
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 5, 2003
        At 1:50 PM +0000 11/5/03, tricky_nut wrote:
        >Hello everybody!
        >
        >To be short: Does anyone know if "run" (the places where "women" go
        >to have sex in _Stars in My Pocket_) has a special meaning in
        >American gay slang?
        >
        >Cheers,
        >Tricky from Finland

        Yes and no. It's not part of American gay slang generally. It *IS*
        used by the leather subggroup, which picked it up or developed it in
        parallel with motorcycle clubs. In motorcycle clubs (gay, straight or
        mixed), a run involves a group traveling on their bikes to a specific
        destination to camp, lodge or spend time together. In modern gay
        leather clubs--which in part grew out of gay motorcycle clubs--a run
        is a gathering, usually for a weekend or extended weekend. Any sort
        of vehicle can be used to get there. While classic runs usually take
        place at a campground, lodge or motel with a secluded or private
        grounds, there are "indoor runs" that take place in cities at hotels,
        with buses taking the participants to gay bars and other
        destinations. The point of the run is the SM sex scenes available at
        the run site, though it includes other activities--often a formal
        dinner where the various leather clubs and cities represented at the
        event are acknowledged.

        As I read Stars in My Pocket, it's clear that within the context of
        that book the meaning of "run" has continued to drift over the time
        between now and that future and that it has migrated from the
        subgroup to the larger population, but its root is also clear.
        Delany's linguistic forecasting is delightful.
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 5, 2003
          It is also worth noting that the term "run" is used in a rather different
          context by the
          leather-wearing Scorpions in _Dhalgren_.

          >From: Steve M <lists@...>
          >To: delany-list@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [delany-list] the word "run"
          >Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 11:06:49 -0600
          >
          >At 1:50 PM +0000 11/5/03, tricky_nut wrote:
          > >Hello everybody!
          > >
          > >To be short: Does anyone know if "run" (the places where "women" go
          > >to have sex in _Stars in My Pocket_) has a special meaning in
          > >American gay slang?
          > >
          > >Cheers,
          > >Tricky from Finland
          >
          >Yes and no. It's not part of American gay slang generally. It *IS*
          >used by the leather subggroup, which picked it up or developed it in
          >parallel with motorcycle clubs. In motorcycle clubs (gay, straight or
          >mixed), a run involves a group traveling on their bikes to a specific
          >destination to camp, lodge or spend time together. In modern gay
          >leather clubs--which in part grew out of gay motorcycle clubs--a run
          >is a gathering, usually for a weekend or extended weekend. Any sort
          >of vehicle can be used to get there. While classic runs usually take
          >place at a campground, lodge or motel with a secluded or private
          >grounds, there are "indoor runs" that take place in cities at hotels,
          >with buses taking the participants to gay bars and other
          >destinations. The point of the run is the SM sex scenes available at
          >the run site, though it includes other activities--often a formal
          >dinner where the various leather clubs and cities represented at the
          >event are acknowledged.
          >
          >As I read Stars in My Pocket, it's clear that within the context of
          >that book the meaning of "run" has continued to drift over the time
          >between now and that future and that it has migrated from the
          >subgroup to the larger population, but its root is also clear.
          >Delany's linguistic forecasting is delightful.
          >

          >== Posted to delany-list, hosted at onelist^Wegroups^Wyahoo ==
          >== A mailing list for the discussion of the works of Samuel R. Delany. ==

          Compare high-speed Internet plans, starting at $26.95.
        • Steve M
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 5, 2003
            At 9:57 AM -0800 11/5/03, Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:
            >It is also worth noting that the term "run" is used in a rather different
            >context by the
            >leather-wearing Scorpions in _Dhalgren_.

            But both seem to have the same origins, they've just evolved
            differently to fit different circumstances. One would never mistake
            one for the other, just as one would never confuse the form and
            function of an airport runway with that of a fashion runway. Just as
            both sorts of runway are a long narrow strip, both sorts of run
            involve going out from home as a group or to meet up with a group
            with some purpose, but from there they diverge.
          • Steve M
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 5, 2003
              From the website of the KC Pioneers Leather Club:

              A Run is a weekend of fun sponsored by a Leather/Levi or Motorcycle
              club. It is a chance to invite other similar clubs from around the
              country to relax and enjoy the home town hospitality of the hosting
              club. The host provides a party space with entertainment, lodging,
              and plenty of food. Members of other clubs attending the run
              typically sponsor cocktail parties throughout the weekend to maintain
              a "festive" atmosphere. A Run is an opportunity for the whole
              community to meet a variety of leather people.

              The KC Pioneers got started in 1974 by seven leather men. The
              Pioneers' first run was held in 1975 in the backyard of two founding
              members. The term "Run" came from an event held by the motorcycle
              clubs. As a group, the members would jump on their cycles and ride
              from one site to another throughout the weekend. Each club would
              compete in road skill tests called an Enduro. As a tradition, the
              term "Run" has stuck to the annual event, even though most leather
              club members across the country do not have motorcycles.
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 5, 2003
                True fer you, Steve M. It seems to me though that knowing the origin of the
                term somewhat affects how I would read the term "run" in each of these texts
                - in _Dhalgren_ in particular, it kind of helps explain why Scorpion "runs"
                are
                not quite as violent as a first glance (at least a first glance by a
                middle-class
                white hetero like, well, me) might expect.

                -D

                >From: Steve M <lists@...>
                >To: delany-list@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [delany-list] the word "run"
                >Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 13:35:22 -0600
                >
                >At 9:57 AM -0800 11/5/03, Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:
                > >It is also worth noting that the term "run" is used in a rather different
                > >context by the
                > >leather-wearing Scorpions in _Dhalgren_.
                > >

                >But both seem to have the same origins, they've just evolved
                >differently to fit different circumstances. One would never mistake
                >one for the other, just as one would never confuse the form and
                >function of an airport runway with that of a fashion runway. Just as
                >both sorts of runway are a long narrow strip, both sorts of run
                >involve going out from home as a group or to meet up with a group
                >with some purpose, but from there they diverge.
                >

                >== Posted to delany-list, hosted at onelist^Wegroups^Wyahoo ==
                >== A mailing list for the discussion of the works of Samuel R. Delany. ==

                MSN Shopping upgraded for the holidays! Snappier product search...
                http://shopping.msn.com