Getting the ball rolling?

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 9, 1999
      ... so ...

      Any rumors of upcoming Delany publications?

      Contrariwise, is it true (as I was told last year) that he's
      abandoned SPLENDOR/MISERY?

      | | |
      | --Dan'l Danehy-Oakes | Nobody is going to care |
      | Staff Curriculum Developer | how much you know, |
      | Oracle CRM Education | Until they know |
      | email: ddanehyo@... | how much you care. |
      | phone: 650.506.0793 | |
      | | |
      Any opinions expressed in this message are not necessarily those
      of the Company. In fact, they may not even be mine.
    • zvi@xxxxxxxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 9, 1999
        Hi Dan'l!

        From: "Dan'l Danehy-Oakes" <ddanehyo@...>
        > Any rumors of upcoming Delany publications?

        Well, 'Bread and Wine: an Erotic Tale of New York City', was listed as
        forthcoming by Amazon for the longest time. It's dropped off their web
        site. It's supposed to be published by Juno books -- I just called them
        and they said that it WILL be published this summer -- apparently Juno
        books is now being published by another small publisher (whose named I
        didn't quite get -- Power[something]?).

        This book is 64 pages, and is illustrated by Mia Wolff, I recall from the
        amazon page. From someone's web page, the following description:

        '"Bread and Wine" is a sensitively drawn graphic novella about the
        beginning of a moving and lasting gay relationship, with all the
        complexities, fumblings, and excitement of the process of two people
        falling in love.'

        So there will be a new Delany in 1999.

        > Contrariwise, is it true (as I was told last year) that he's
        > abandoned SPLENDOR/MISERY?

        Most of the rumors that I've heard suggest that he's BACK working on it,
        having let it drop for 10 years+... especially since an excerpt from 'the
        splendour and misery of bodies, of cities' has been published in 'the
        review of contemporary american fiction' (1996 XVI.3 -- an issue dedicated
        to Edmund White and SRD. TOC here:
        http://www.dalkeyarchive.com/xvi.3.html) Check your local library, or you
        may be able to order back issues here:
        http://www.dalkeyarchive.com/review.html

        I have it. It's great. And very tantalizing. Further details on request.

        But... well, who is to say whether it was an old working draft rather than
        something 'new'. But SRD let it get into print, which makes me feel good.